Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DJing/Music Production Setup

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

After many hours of deliberating, I have decided to take the plunge & get into DJing/Music production (Dance/House) properly.

I have some experience with DJing but only off my PC with VDJ – i.e. without controllers or anything. I have looked on the net for some products that I would consider buying and here’s a setup that, in my limited knowledge, will suite me:

1 x E-mu 1616m Cardbus (for laptop)
2 x Numark iCDX
1 x Numark CM200USB

I don’t really want/need all the functions of the iCDXs (e.g. cd, usb, iPod mixing) so if someone could recommend something better suited because all I need is to control VDJ desks. Quality is very important to me, both in sound quality and in build quality, so I’d rather spend more money now than regret it later. On that note, I would also say that if someone could recommend a different piece of hardware that would suit me better then I would also appreciate it. I would also like to get into scratching so the equipment needs to be able to handle that properly…

Basically how I would set it up is, the two iCDX’s connected to my PC controlling VDJ, with two outputs (Desk A & B – separately, I think VDJ can do this) from the E-mu to Channel 1 & 2 of the CM200USB. The following is the part I’m not sure about, can I get the CM200USB (through the 2 USB channels) to control the Effects software of the E-mu? That way that I can have 2 different effects set-up and then use say channels 3 & 4 to control the levels of the effects added to the VDJ output, which is being sent to Channels 1 & 2?

I also don’t know if the software bundled with the 1616m will be adequate for my needs (Dance/House production) if someone who has experience in these things tell me more then I’d appreciate it…

geposted Mon 12 May 08 @ 2:54 am
Doesn't anyone have anything to help me with? I don't care if you can't answer all my questions just a comment could atleased help. Somebody, anybody?

geposted Tue 13 May 08 @ 5:09 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Hi
My brother has that sound card (music producer) and I know that is multichannel stereo card made for music making, not DJ'ing. We are DJ's, I don't create music so I can't help. For that you should use programs like Cubase, Sound Forge etc.
Hope that someone else could help more here.

geposted Tue 13 May 08 @ 10:07 am
I stand corrected when I say this but isn't DJing making music? So therefor if its good enough to produce music then it must be more than good enough to DJ with? As well as the fact that my 'ideal' setup requires 2 outputs & one input (for recording)...

I wasn't asking about the soundcard per se but rather the iCDX's, the mixer & if I'd be able to set it up the way I'd like. Pretend like I'm not gonna produce music & I'm just gonna DJ, would this be a good setup keeping in mind that I would like to get into scratching & would I be able to set it up using effects that just happened to be on the E-mu software, as outlined above...

Thanks for your comment though, but I kinda get the feeling that I'm asking these questions in the wrong place. If anybody can point me to a better suited forum then I'd appricate it...

geposted Tue 13 May 08 @ 3:32 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi the cm200 usb has no control over any software its not a midi mixer.

For this you would want something like the Alesis Master control http://www.alesis.com/mastercontrol or a similar product such as the bcf2000

This would work with a DAW such as those listed by DJ alf a Icdx is a DJ tool primarily.

geposted Tue 13 May 08 @ 4:54 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
djing and production are two different beasts altogether. but yes, an emu 1616 cardbus is a good card to own for both. however, iCDX via USB is not going to help I think with the EMU soundcard. The sound bus via USB on iCDX is to replace the need for a soundcard. Personally, I would just go for standard Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 and forget about iCDX because you wont be using the benefits of the EMU and cd decks are useless for production.

the benefits of having the emu 1616m are that you can walk into a club and patch them to the club cdjs and you arent dependant on bringing your decks, the sound quality is very good. (if you bought the 1616m then the DAC are from Digidesign which are top notch). The latency handling on the 1616 series are also extremely good, snappy and wont crash on you.

I have somewhere on my system a saved configuration for the EMU1616 which allows you to use them for VDJ, it was a pain in the ass to figure out. If you can give me the file extension of a saved EMU config, I can dig it out for you. I just cant find it right now...

geposted Tue 13 May 08 @ 9:47 pm
1) The mixer is not going to be for when I'm producing but for when I'm DJing. So I was wondering if I could find 5-channel midi (over usb) DJ mixer that would let me control the E-mu effects software as well has the 2 desk outputs?

2) How can I tell if its audio over usb or just midi over usb?

geposted Wed 14 May 08 @ 12:33 am

geposted Wed 14 May 08 @ 3:14 am
over USB?

geposted Wed 14 May 08 @ 3:43 am
After looking on the net I've decide to go for the Stanton SCS.1d - now I'm just looking for a good 3 channel midi mixer thats suitable for scratching but preferably doesn't have a built-in soundcard. If anyone has any ideas, just let me know...

geposted Thu 15 May 08 @ 4:38 am
are you buying the emu1616 for sure? you dont need a mixer with midi via USB, that defeats the purpose of the sound card. just use a normal midi cable.

usb over midi generally is only when the mixer has a soundcard (like the A&H Xone:3D or Ecler Evo 5 which is actually firewire). you are unecessarily limiting yourself by needing midi over usb becuase the emu 1616m has normal midi already.

geposted Fri 16 May 08 @ 2:02 am
Ya, I realised that but didn't remember to mention it here - I am gettin the E-mu, btw. Any thoughts on possible mixers...

geposted Fri 16 May 08 @ 8:49 am
You can essentially buy any mixer, really. The brilliant part is that your EMU 1616m will be good on any mixer.

I bought an Allen&Heath Xone:3D. Its the best mixer I've ever owned and I've been doing it for 17 years so I've owned quite a few mixers. The midi controls on the Xone3D are fantastic for VDJ and its useful for producing as well (especially if you work with Ableton Live). I highly recommend it.

If you dont have that kind of budget, you can get any other mixer and then put a Xone:2D on the side which is just a box with the midi controls section of the 3D. But It's worth it to go all out for the full unit.

geposted Fri 16 May 08 @ 11:38 pm
But surely buying a mixer with a built-in soundcard is just going to be a waste of money cuz I'll be using the E-mu as the soundcard? Something like the Xone:1D would be fine but it doesnt look like it has a crossfader???

geposted Sat 17 May 08 @ 2:40 am
yeah, you can look at it like that, it is paying extra for soundcard you dont intend to use. however, i spent the extra dosh on a swank RME multiface ii sound interface and i love it. but sometimes i do small parties at friends and cant be bothered to bring all my gear so i just bring the mixer and laptop and plug directly to the soundcard on the a&h... no wasted money there really. if i need to be i can be much more mobile with literally 1 minute of setup instead of 15 or more.

geposted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 9:53 pm
Hello! I'm trying to hook VDJ up to my 1616m and can't figure out how. Paz75, do you remember how you did it? I wasnt even sure it was possible but your post gave me hope.

cheers

geposted Sun 03 May 09 @ 1:00 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)