Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Vista Premium (32bit) Tweaks?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I've read on more than one forum where DJs have gone back to Windows XP since VDJ works smoother. My Toshiba laptop has Vista Premium, 32 bit. Since I will be dedicating this laptop for DJ use, are there any tweaks I can do to the laptop to maximize the VDJ performance?

I know that Vista uses a lot of RAM, but I am guessing that removing a lot of unnecessary programs running in the background will free up RAM for VDJ. The laptop has 2gigs of RAM.

If anyone can provide a list of typical Vista programs to look for and remove, I'd the grateful.

Also, I am guessing that it is best to turn off any antivirus programs while running VDJ, right?

geposted Wed 12 Nov 08 @ 8:10 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
DJ Randy L wrote :

Also, I am guessing that it is best to turn off any antivirus programs while running VDJ, right?

Yes, and if you have a dedicated laptop for your gig's then I wouldn't install one. But if you are abit worried with not havin' a AV then I would look at the AVG 8 free version. It's has basic AV cover but it sits quite light on your system and doesn't take alot of resources up like what Norton does.

As for disabling Services and programs in Vista, I wouldn't do anything till you have run the trail version a few days. If you're happy with it and the performance of VirtualDJ with Vista, then why waste time and effort trying to tune Vista when there is no need to.

But it you want to have a play, and stream line Vista, then first disable the UAC feature that Vista has, the sidebar feature and windows defender.

Then you could have a look at this guide which I used, Also there are a few devices/drivers you could disable, but this is a last resort, and you should only do it if you are havin' sound issues. Remember though you do this at your own risk

geposted Wed 12 Nov 08 @ 10:39 am
I run vista ultimate 32 bit on a dual core 2.8 with 2 gb ram and have removed most of the pre installed ibm software and disabled very little things running in the background and have not had any problems as far as performance. I agree with the post above. Just do some trials if it works well just uninstall the pre installed stuff that is not needed and dont touch anything else that may cause a problem. Remember if it aint broke don't fix it.

I feel another big part is to make sure you keep up to date with new drivers and software like direct x and such.

geposted Wed 12 Nov 08 @ 7:12 pm
OK....

I guess I am just jittery of the laptop freezing up due to too many programs running at the same time, or programs conflict with each other. I'll almost bet that this is the #1 reason DJs have had their laptops freeze during a gig.

I'd feel safer to "turn off" all programs I don't need so VDJ would have all the RAM it needs to run smoothly. I won't be running videos so this, i'm sure, will definately lower the demand on the laptop processor

geposted Thu 13 Nov 08 @ 2:58 pm
I will say this, when I tried to Tweak Vista like I did in XP it turned into a nightmare FAST. The only things I have done are Disable UAC, Sidebar, and Windows Defender. Thats it!! Like was said above run the trial for a few days to see how it runs, but do turn off UAC and sidebar.

geposted Thu 13 Nov 08 @ 3:14 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Just chill with Vista,

It's not as bad as people make out it to be. In fact I found it better than XP. People just don't like change, don't worry.

geposted Thu 13 Nov 08 @ 6:34 pm
Still even if you have the best, fastest laptop in the market, even if you have all the programs, services, devices disabled, SOMETHING will go wrong(it will freeze up or crash)... you don't wanna find yourself in this situation. So, ALWAYS, remember, ALWAYS have a backup player... whether it's another laptop, a pro cdplayer, an ipod or even your boombox... Murphy's law will apply no matter how hard you try...

geposted Thu 13 Nov 08 @ 7:10 pm
djtopsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I agree with the small tweaks above....I tried the posted tweaks from this site on my xp machine and disabled many services per those instructions, had no problems with Virtual DJ running, but unfortunately had serious problems with other programs and services on the laptop....even just using it to download music from Beatport was real buggy.....Leave the Vista settings alone...buy more RAM, 4gb will leave lots o headroom for full video and effects. More ram..less tweaking...

geposted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 7:36 pm
But and this is a big BUT, if you can purchase an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium, I would STRONGLY recommend running a dual boot setup whereas 1 partition being vdj ONLY and the other being for whatever else u need to do on the system.

geposted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 8:04 pm
Oh and you dont need to buy the full version as you can install the Upgrade fresh, if u need assistance let me know.

geposted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 8:05 pm

geposted Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 7:53 am
OK....

I guess I am just jittery of the laptop freezing up due to too many programs running at the same time, or programs conflict with each other. I'll almost bet that this is the #1 reason DJs have had their laptops freeze during a gig.

I'd feel safer to "turn off" all programs I don't need so VDJ would have all the RAM it needs to run smoothly. I won't be running videos so this, i'm sure, will definately lower the demand on the laptop processor

Hi Randy--
I have a Gateway laptop 3g ram running Vista Home Premium-- VDJ runs fine except for when I try to play music videos. the video doesn't even show up on my browser-- i see the video folders, but nothing inside. I've tried all formats, avi,wmv,mpeg4,mov etc.
Do u think this is a vista problem? or do i have to make adjustments in the factory video card? any help is greatly appreciated!

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 2:28 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
discobrian24 wrote :
I will say this, when I tried to Tweak Vista like I did in XP it turned into a nightmare FAST. The only things I have done are Disable UAC, Sidebar, and Windows Defender. Thats it!! Like was said above run the trial for a few days to see how it runs, but do turn off UAC and sidebar.

I must agree with Brian, also disable Schedule for Defragmentation, Fix swap file to same size and disable Aero.

geposted Thu 27 Nov 08 @ 11:54 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)