Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Transition help - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Alright so I've got the beatmatching down good and stuff, I can mix songs and I have a good knowledge of all the bells and whistles of the program. So now, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on transitions between songs. For example, what exactly should I do when bringing another song in, is there a certain effect you guys use, as I find fade-in/outs are very bland.

geposted Fri 14 Nov 08 @ 9:57 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Long time mixers will tell you effects are for those who cant mix. There is only one way to bring a song in....whatever way feels right to you. Don't be something your not. Develop your own style.

geposted Fri 14 Nov 08 @ 10:01 pm
alot of people cut the bass out of one of the songs. I think when you mix hip hop. matching the snares is of utmost importance.

geposted Sat 22 Nov 08 @ 12:51 pm
all depends on what music ur mixing, i mix happy hardcore and keep the bass down on the track im mixing into and when it drops i cut the track and turn the bass up and normally it kicks in propaly when the next track, finishes its main bit, pratice makes perfect, TIP1 try listing to the mixed CD's you buy and try to recreate that using VDJ i know its copying people but at the end of the day its the best way to learn even buy the same songs and try it and when you know what your doing then and only then can you try to do new things!

geposted Sat 22 Nov 08 @ 4:00 pm
then try loop ins and loop outs :)

geposted Tue 25 Nov 08 @ 5:01 pm
dabblinPRO InfinityMember since 2008
TearEmUp wrote :
Long time mixers will tell you effects are for those who cant mix. There is only one way to bring a song in....whatever way feels right to you. Don't be something your not. Develop your own style.

THIS IS THE BEST WISDOM!!! Eventually you'll notice your style might be similar to another persons but at least you let it come to you naturally.

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 12:30 pm
hey i might be kind of late with this reply but i would i think it really does depend on what type of music you are mixing..i make one hour trance sets using virtual DJ and the best way is using the cross fade bar in the middle..put it all the way to the side the current song is playing..when u have the next song ready to go and it synced, play it and match the little box things on the top and slowly move the cross fade bar to the side where the next song is...IMO, i move it half way and when I'm ready to cut off the song that's playing i move it all the way to the side the next song is :) hope i was a help!..good luck!

geposted Sun 21 Mar 10 @ 3:27 pm
I would say dont look at the screen, go with what your ears are telling you. Your ears are the best tool you have!! Dont get dependent on the waves, nice to have but also a curse at the same time. Just my 2 cents.
Have fun!!

geposted Tue 23 Mar 10 @ 11:28 pm
Remember one thing, don't be afraid of it. Experiment and develop your own technique. Try everything, you will see what works and what doesn't don't think so much and just "feel" what your doing. It will come to you, probably when your not mixing.

geposted Sun 04 Apr 10 @ 4:37 pm
pleaznHome userMember since 2010
the #1 problem i had when i first started was i wasnt using full songs (ie intro break verse 1 verse 2 main break melody outro) i just had radio edits, this will flail. if u have 2 properly made songs and start them at the right time you will be able to tell one to cut one and put the bass up on another, wait for like a little break in the beat
bar bar bar bar bar 1 silent beat <- song outro
bar bar bar bar bar snare drum beat beat <- sing intro
when song one has that silent beat just as song 2 has the snare or something to cover it, kill the bass and trebble on song one and stop the track and no one will be the wiser

note i only do hardstyle but it should apply to other genres

geposted Mon 05 Apr 10 @ 8:36 pm
also dw about the wave form, INVEST IN GOOD HEADPHONES AND EVENTUALLY U WILL BE ABLE TO FOLLOW THE BEATS WITHOUT EVEN THINKING.

geposted Mon 05 Apr 10 @ 8:38 pm
ALSO the way you hear a song while ur listening and following the beats and the way it sounds to a 3rd party is WAY different. record ur stuff and listen to it, it will sound alot better than when u were recording it, even the bits u mess up

geposted Mon 05 Apr 10 @ 8:39 pm
DJLo50PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Does anyone have any tips to transition from like a 100 bpm song to like a 126 bpm song? I'm have not tried this yet but I'm thinking of echoing out the 100 bpm song then starting the 126 bpm. Thanks :)

geposted Wed 07 Apr 10 @ 11:20 pm
When you are transitioning between 2 BPM's that are far apart it can be a problem. one way is to slowly speed up the slow track and slow down the fast one for the transition, and then gradually rebuild up the speed of the faster track to the speed u think is right.
Another way would be to use effects and an Echo on the leaving track and bring the new track in on a fairly key point in the track, starting the new track with several bars of just beats might just annoy people dancing or listening ( then again sometimes it works )
There is no best way and its always a problem so just experiment and see what works.

If I'm doing different Bpms like that I tend to slowly build up the BPM over a few tracks using tracks with BPM's in between and increasing the speed gradually. With a bit of creativity anything is possible however and there is never a set way to do anything.

geposted Sat 17 Apr 10 @ 4:06 am
DJLo50PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Dfunkdoll wrote :
When you are transitioning between 2 BPM's that are far apart it can be a problem. one way is to slowly speed up the slow track and slow down the fast one for the transition, and then gradually rebuild up the speed of the faster track to the speed u think is right.
Another way would be to use effects and an Echo on the leaving track and bring the new track in on a fairly key point in the track, starting the new track with several bars of just beats might just annoy people dancing or listening ( then again sometimes it works )
There is no best way and its always a problem so just experiment and see what works.

If I'm doing different Bpms like that I tend to slowly build up the BPM over a few tracks using tracks with BPM's in between and increasing the speed gradually. With a bit of creativity anything is possible however and there is never a set way to do anything.

Thanks for the tip. I tried the echo effect, it works pretty good if the last key is just a word or a sound with no beat to it, then immediately drop the uptempo beat. Thanks again for the reply :)

geposted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 3:28 pm
I'm not sure if anyone said it, but it's all about the LOOP.

Another thing is I always have my Pioneer mixer in between my Laptop and the channel i'm going into on the master board, or my amp that goes to my sound.

I have a song playing, for example it's 128bpm, I gotta feeling by the Black Eyed Peas. Now if you're going down to, 90bpm a full drop would prolly be the way to go.

- If you plan to beat match it, queue up your new song. Queue that song's very first beat, you can use the [ ] [] on your sequencer but that's not always true. the true first beat is the first kick drum. that's the first down beat. Set your loop for 16. trance techno house, jungle, it's all different, but 16 is a good par, cuzz that can be universal for like, rock music and top 40 too. Make this your routine. Every new song you load up, set your queue to the first beat. Virtual DJ is so cool cuzz after you set the Q, it's in there forever =D

Set your loop, let it play sync it. Now it's time to listen to the track your ppl are hearing, what you want now is the end of the chorus, the end of the meaty part of the track, that's when you start bringing your new track in.

Then important thing is the Bass Lines. We all know what a trainwreck feels like, inside, it hurts, hurts your pride. So you've got your loop running 16 beats, that's 4, 4 bar measures. Keep your eq's even, you don't wanna push more than 1 decible. it's a give and take, Swap the mids, keep your highs about even, or yank them out. The important thing to feel, is the bass. the low eq will change what we all feel. When you drop the bass in, that's when the new 'track' starts.

And lastly and this one will make you feel silly, after the bass flip, during the mix, some point RELEASE the queue on the new track. Nothing will make other DJ's go "OOooh" like having a beautiful sexy Monet of 2 songs clashing together, and then having that loop repeat one more time, when that's all anybody hears...

geposted Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 10:36 am
I don't mean to spam but if we're sharing secrets one I really like....

Works great, esp with house music.

Coming to the end of the track, need to drop something new at a diff bpm, you take your playing track hit the 4beat loop, then the 2 beat loop (let that run twice) then you go down to a 1/4 then toss a backspin and fade it out. Nice kind of dizzy effect that leaves you feeling the new bass.

geposted Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 10:42 am
djjordank wrote :
I'm not sure if anyone said it, but it's all about the LOOP.

Another thing is I always have my Pioneer mixer in between my Laptop and the channel i'm going into on the master board, or my amp that goes to my sound.

I have a song playing, for example it's 128bpm, I gotta feeling by the Black Eyed Peas. Now if you're going down to, 90bpm a full drop would prolly be the way to go.

- If you plan to beat match it, queue up your new song. Queue that song's very first beat, you can use the [ ] [] on your sequencer but that's not always true. the true first beat is the first kick drum. that's the first down beat. Set your loop for 16. trance techno house, jungle, it's all different, but 16 is a good par, cuzz that can be universal for like, rock music and top 40 too. Make this your routine. Every new song you load up, set your queue to the first beat. Virtual DJ is so cool cuzz after you set the Q, it's in there forever =D

Set your loop, let it play sync it. Now it's time to listen to the track your ppl are hearing, what you want now is the end of the chorus, the end of the meaty part of the track, that's when you start bringing your new track in.

Then important thing is the Bass Lines. We all know what a trainwreck feels like, inside, it hurts, hurts your pride. So you've got your loop running 16 beats, that's 4, 4 bar measures. Keep your eq's even, you don't wanna push more than 1 decible. it's a give and take, Swap the mids, keep your highs about even, or yank them out. The important thing to feel, is the bass. the low eq will change what we all feel. When you drop the bass in, that's when the new 'track' starts.

And lastly and this one will make you feel silly, after the bass flip, during the mix, some point RELEASE the queue on the new track. Nothing will make other DJ's go "OOooh" like having a beautiful sexy Monet of 2 songs clashing together, and then having that loop repeat one more time, when that's all anybody hears...

Exactly what he said. Not only is beatmatching important, but bar counting is also just as important. I usually find that choruses for most song run for about 16 bars. So if you want to blend, drop ur track on the 1 beat and adjust ur pitch from there to match. It takes trial and error but give it time and practice and youll get it!!!!

geposted Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 4:22 pm
DJLo50 wrote :
Does anyone have any tips to transition from like a 100 bpm song to like a 126 bpm song? I'm have not tried this yet but I'm thinking of echoing out the 100 bpm song then starting the 126 bpm. Thanks :)

id try a loop 4 on the outro then as its looping start the sync form 100 to 126 while thats going on take th loop down to 2 then 1 then 1/2 then 1/4 and que ur next track in on a high note in the intro. just thought that up hahah im going to try it myself :D

geposted Fri 07 May 10 @ 5:11 pm
what r u using for equipment?

geposted Thu 20 May 10 @ 3:39 pm
83%