Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: new browser look and feel - Page: 3

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I don't really care about the name thing. It was just making a point about how critical everybody seems to be here. If you really want to pick on me, I will just give it back. It seems as if you mess up a name or even a number, people care less about helping and more about finding your flaws and then pointing them out to you. That is why I was waiting for spelling critcizm next.

Not that my profile indicates it but I am a newbie (that was my first post here) and I can expect some crap thown my way. But you can really put people off. If djkz was not so helpful, my first impression would be to never post here again. djkz is the only one that offered a solution instead of picking on how I do my buisness. What does that say for the rest of you.

I thought I had a reasonable suggestion and it turned into how many extra files an folders that I had in my library. Now the Mods and Atomix have to weed through all the BS in the above posts (or maybe just give up) and maybe they find my idea or maybe it will be masked by all the garbage that was thrown my way. Then we all miss out on a decent feature that could been helpful to all and make the software more user friendly to people that are use to different ways of organization and browsing.

geposted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 3:27 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
DHoude wrote :
I don't really care about the name thing. It was just making a point about how critical everybody seems to be here. If you really want to pick on me, I will just give it back. It seems as if you mess up a name or even a number, people care less about helping and more about finding your flaws and then pointing them out to you. That is why I was waiting for spelling critcizm next.

Actually thats not the case - this is definately one of the more helpful DJ forums. I was merely suggesting in a blunt way that 4000 root folders is a tad excessive, and that maybe some library organisation was in order.

DHoude wrote :
Not that my profile indicates it but I am a newbie (that was my first post here) and I can expect some crap thown my way. But you can really put people off. If djkz was not so helpful, my first impression would be to never post here again. djkz is the only one that offered a solution instead of picking on how I do my buisness. What does that say for the rest of you.

With the small amount of information you offered, we weren't really able to be a great help other than to say this: reorganise. Since you now say you do it by artist name etc... how about subfoldering them under an alphabetical structure? A simple solution that will reduce the amount of folders you have to scroll. That said, the search feature can mean you don't really need to scroll folders anyway. I don't really agree with people having to minimise their libraries and so on - carry as much music as you like, but you will need to organise it in a way that works with your chosen application and your manner of working. If that's not possible, then a comprimise may be required.

A lot of people post in the Wishes forum asking for various things and sometimes it will turn into a support thread,. Thats life I'm afraid - people will offer their opinions and you are free to take it or leave it.

DHoude wrote :
I thought I had a reasonable suggestion and it turned into how many extra files an folders that I had in my library. Now the Mods and Atomix have to weed through all the BS in the above posts (or maybe just give up) and maybe they find my idea or maybe it will be masked by all the garbage that was thrown my way. Then we all miss out on a decent feature that could been helpful to all and make the software more user friendly to people that are use to different ways of organization and browsing.

The major problem with this is the focus of the keyboard. The more areas that have keyboard input are more areas that can mess up your keyboard shortcuts. The last thing someone using a keyboard wants is to hit play then realise they have their focus on the browser list and nothing happens and they look stupid. I'm sure your suggestion will be taken on board - there is nothing to weed through, the first post you made helpfully provides all the information really required.

As I said this is one of the more helpful DJ forums - members try to help out with hardware and software support and make new skins, plugins and effects for the software all provided free to registered members of the community.

geposted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 4:20 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
@dhoude, scott has already mentioned it but i will reiterate, that was the whole point of my post, organise your files into less folders will be of benefit to you, but everyone has there own way me i have only three folders set out like this...

1. music dump > mix bag of mp3 and video, (8,000 files)

2. karaoke > (7,500 files)

3. mp3s > used as back up for music dump for least requested/played tunes (22,000 files) if its not in the dump then it sure is gonna be in there.

i realise you have a lot more cultures to cater for then we do in the uk but do you see the point i'm getting at, less often used go into a folder specifically as back up, means i can find commonly used files much quicker this way.

geposted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 4:51 pm
tayla wrote :
i realise you have a lot more cultures to cater for then we do in the uk but do you see the point i'm getting at, less often used go into a folder specifically as back up, means i can find commonly used files much quicker this way.

I agree, but until now you all were more preocupied with how many files I have in each folder and how it did not make sense, so I must be wrong (to sum it up). The above sugestions will be taken into cosideration to facilitate my searches. All that said, now that I know the search window looks at files and folder names that djkz pointed out, that works very well. It was a misunderstaning on my part (I have only used VDJ for 3 weeks now). Tagscanner may (I have not tried it yet) fix my other one. If all else fails the alphabet group (a-g then h-l) folders may be the next option I try, if it becomes a problem.

Ultimatley, to continue doing buisness the way I was use to, I think my suggestion is still valid. I am not a programmer but out of all the things I could have asked for, it seams relitivly simple and common pratice in file browsers. But you make a good point about hitting a key when the wrong part of the screen is selected and crashing the gig etirely. VDJ with a controller is good and scrolling is the only way to browse from it, I see that. But a keyboard is needed for the search window so the same argument about crashing the gig if the wrong area is selected and you start typing. So yes valid but not enough in my eyes as there are other parts of the program that carry the same risk. Plus most short cuts require 2 keys at the same time (Ctrl + R or Ctrl + [anything]) to do any serious function that may drastically change playback.

For reliability it may be best to make my feature suggestion a check box that is off by default (for stability or "stupid proofing") and users can decide for them selves if they want it.

geposted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 6:35 pm
SBDJ wrote :
Actually thats not the case - this is definately one of the more helpful DJ forums. I was merely suggesting in a blunt way that 4000 root folders is a tad excessive, and that maybe some library organisation was in order.

It was my organization in those 2000+ folders is what still allowed me to find the file even though the search feature in VDJ failed me. As mentioned, it was set up the way djkz suggested even though I did not know that feature / search criteria (folder and file name) existed. It was my assumption that when the file's Artist and Song name was blank in VDJ that the balank Artist and Song from the ID3 tag was the the reason the search had failed. So something went on, it is just not what I thought it was, because I was set up to look at file and folder name when it happened. So that is why I assumed that the search bar went off the ID3 tags that it scanned when I added my music folder to the "monitored search database". As it was my first wedding, I could have been nervous and goofed, I am human as we all just discovered:)

Take care and thanks for the professional suggestions on making my start in DJing more successful and less stressful.

geposted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 6:57 pm
DHoude wrote :
SBDJ wrote :

It was my organization in those 2000+ folders is what still allowed me to find the file even though the search feature in VDJ failed me. As mentioned, it was set up the way djkz suggested even though I did not know that feature / search criteria (folder and file name) existed. It was my assumption that when the file's Artist and Song name was blank in VDJ that the balank Artist and Song from the ID3 tag was the the reason the search had failed. So something went on, it is just not what I thought it was, because I was set up to look at file and folder name when it happened. So that is why I assumed that the search bar went off the ID3 tags that it scanned when I added my music folder to the "monitored search database". As it was my first wedding, I could have been nervous and goofed, I am human as we all just discovered:)

Take care and thanks for the professional suggestions on making my start in DJing more successful and less stressful.

have you added each folder to database search?.. if you right click on the folders containing the music you want included in the search there is a link that says add to search database.. if the folder isnt added it wont look through it in the specified search.. if its added then no matter what folder the track you are looking for is in, it will come up during your search... try that and see if it doesnt help.. T

geposted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 11:24 am
Well the best answer that i can give is, it should be. All my artist folders are in 1 main "Music" folder to keep it seperate from other files on that drive. I added the "Music" folder to the search db which was ready that night (I did not just do it now). If it missed an artist folder inside that Music folder, I have no proff one way or the other at this point?

geposted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 4:49 pm
EvhaEHome userMember since 2009

geposted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 4:51 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Thanks for bumping a dead year old thread ;)

geposted Mon 11 Jan 10 @ 5:10 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)