Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: More accurate bpm matching!!! - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

sandu8PRO (OEM)Member since 2009
Would it be possible to get the bpm matching accurate to 0.01. The closest I can get is 0.03, so from 127.00 to 127.03. I would like to be able to go from 127.00 to 127.01.

Cheers,
Alex

geposted Tue 15 Sep 09 @ 1:14 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
and you wish that VDJ mixes music by itself too?? ;)

I think VDJ is the best software talking about beat matching!!!

geposted Tue 15 Sep 09 @ 3:05 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

I use the things on the side of my head called Ears. They do a pretty good job ;)

geposted Tue 15 Sep 09 @ 3:10 pm
sandu8PRO (OEM)Member since 2009
I think that you "highly intelligent" people are missing my point. So far only one digital software has come close to matching the incremental adjustments that were capable on the 1200s and that software is Mixxx. However that software has a very ordinary search/library system. The point is to not spend all your time riding the pitch during a gig. Maybe if your transitions between songs lasted longer than 16 beats you would know that the songs go off beat after awhile. This has to do with the accuracy of the pitch adjustments. But I am sure you "highly intelligent mathmaticians" knew that already.

geposted Tue 15 Sep 09 @ 6:46 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You're telling me you could get 1210's to match to 1/100th of a BPM accuracy, then play those two different tracks all the way through with absolutely no need for manual correction?

I often transition for longer than 16 beats. I simply keep the songs in beat manually, like I used to on my 1210s :)

geposted Wed 16 Sep 09 @ 4:53 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
sandu8 wrote :
The point is to not spend all your time riding the pitch during a gig. Maybe if your transitions between songs lasted longer than 16 beats you would know that the songs go off beat after awhile.

Have you ever mixed with vinyls??
Actually I think that is the appealing part of being a dj.

geposted Wed 16 Sep 09 @ 6:11 am
sandu8 wrote :
I think that you "highly intelligent" people are missing my point. So far only one digital software has come close to matching the incremental adjustments that were capable on the 1200s and that software is Mixxx. However that software has a very ordinary search/library system. The point is to not spend all your time riding the pitch during a gig. Maybe if your transitions between songs lasted longer than 16 beats you would know that the songs go off beat after awhile. This has to do with the accuracy of the pitch adjustments. But I am sure you "highly intelligent mathmaticians" knew that already.

Ya, but you'll spend just as much time and effort trying to adjust the pitch slider to find the "sweet spot" as you would doing manual corrections anyways so take your pick. A DJ friend of mine takes 4 minutes of a 6 minute song to perfectly match the tempos whereas I prefer to spend 1 minute matching the approximate tempo and then make ever-so-slight manual adjustments on the fly. It's more hands on, less boring, and it leaves more time to look at boobies rather than being hunched over a turntable being all surgical-like. Besides most DJs who mix for more than 16 bars are inappropriately overlapping vocals etc. for the sake of showing off how good they are at beatmixing at the expense of creating a cluttered mix. Too many DJs forget that it's better to do a good transition smoothly from one song to the next and cut the mix off at the appropriate time rather than force them to listen some drawn out mix that goes on way too long. It's okay to do a long mix if the two tracks "jive" well together, but unfortunately that's usually not the case. It's usually a DJ mixing way too long just to show off. Just let them hear the next track already!! Some DJs need to learn that there's a fine line between mixing for the sake of mixing, and just playing the music for girls to shake their asses to. So many times I've heard house DJs spin and I say to myself "Okay, I get it, you can mix... NOW MOVE THE CROSSFADER ALL THE WAY OVER ALREADY SO I CAN HEAR THE NEXT FUCKING SONG!".

Now that I'm on the topic, another pet peeve of mine is hip hop DJs who scratch waaaay to much. I call them "Scratchy McScratchertons". It's the equivalent of a guitarist doing a guitar solo for the length an entire song. Drives me nuts. There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy a song and hearing an onslaught of "JIGGA JIGGA JIG J-J-J-J JIGGA JIG J-J-J-J-J JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA J-J-J-J-J-J-J JIG JIG JIG JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA J-J-J-J-J-J-J-J-J JIGGA JIGGA JIG JIGGA JIG JIGGA JIG JIG JIG JIGGA". Same thing as before "Okay, I get it, you can scratch... NOW LET ME HEAR THE SONG ALREADY!!".

Which brings me to my last pet peeve of the day. Hip Hop DJs who mix too quickly. With the advent of DVSs like Serato it enables the DJ to call up tracks at lightning fast speeds. I don't know how short the "DJ-in-question" assumes the listener's attention span is but please don't mix go through 10 songs in 45 seconds just to show how fast you can mix. I've seen it where the DJ throws on a big track, everyone is loving it and then the DJ mixes in another track 10 seconds later and everyone has this "What happened?" look on their face. "Okay, I get it, you can mix quickly... NOW LET ME HEAR THE SONG ALREADY!!".

Whatever happened to just playing music? In conclusion, don't be too technical when you play music. Do a super long mix only if the tracks mesh well together, scratch when appropriate, and quick mixes are are okay, but sometimes you just need to a let track play out so it can be enjoyed. Anyone out there feelin' me?

geposted Wed 16 Sep 09 @ 7:59 am
dizy rocks is my hero well said man !!

geposted Sat 19 Sep 09 @ 1:11 pm
DJAuzPRO InfinityMember since 2008
VDJ is definately the most accurate BPM calculation software on the market, period! :)

geposted Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 9:50 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
dizzyrocks2001 wrote :

Ya, but you'll spend just as much time and effort trying to adjust the pitch slider to find the "sweet spot" as you would doing manual corrections anyways so take your pick. A DJ friend of mine takes 4 minutes of a 6 minute song to perfectly match the tempos whereas I prefer to spend 1 minute matching the approximate tempo and then make ever-so-slight manual adjustments on the fly. It's more hands on, less boring, and it leaves more time to look at boobies rather than being hunched over a turntable being all surgical-like. Besides most DJs who mix for more than 16 bars are inappropriately overlapping vocals etc. for the sake of showing off how good they are at beatmixing at the expense of creating a cluttered mix. Too many DJs forget that it's better to do a good transition smoothly from one song to the next and cut the mix off at the appropriate time rather than force them to listen some drawn out mix that goes on way too long. It's okay to do a long mix if the two tracks "jive" well together, but unfortunately that's usually not the case. It's usually a DJ mixing way too long just to show off. Just let them hear the next track already!! Some DJs need to learn that there's a fine line between mixing for the sake of mixing, and just playing the music for girls to shake their asses to. So many times I've heard house DJs spin and I say to myself "Okay, I get it, you can mix... NOW MOVE THE CROSSFADER ALL THE WAY OVER ALREADY SO I CAN HEAR THE NEXT FUCKING SONG!".

Now that I'm on the topic, another pet peeve of mine is hip hop DJs who scratch waaaay to much. I call them "Scratchy McScratchertons". It's the equivalent of a guitarist doing a guitar solo for the length an entire song. Drives me nuts. There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy a song and hearing an onslaught of "JIGGA JIGGA JIG J-J-J-J JIGGA JIG J-J-J-J-J JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA J-J-J-J-J-J-J JIG JIG JIG JIGGA JIGGA JIGGA J-J-J-J-J-J-J-J-J JIGGA JIGGA JIG JIGGA JIG JIGGA JIG JIG JIG JIGGA". Same thing as before "Okay, I get it, you can scratch... NOW LET ME HEAR THE SONG ALREADY!!".

Which brings me to my last pet peeve of the day. Hip Hop DJs who mix too quickly. With the advent of DVSs like Serato it enables the DJ to call up tracks at lightning fast speeds. I don't know how short the "DJ-in-question" assumes the listener's attention span is but please don't mix go through 10 songs in 45 seconds just to show how fast you can mix. I've seen it where the DJ throws on a big track, everyone is loving it and then the DJ mixes in another track 10 seconds later and everyone has this "What happened?" look on their face. "Okay, I get it, you can mix quickly... NOW LET ME HEAR THE SONG ALREADY!!".

Whatever happened to just playing music? In conclusion, don't be too technical when you play music. Do a super long mix only if the tracks mesh well together, scratch when appropriate, and quick mixes are are okay, but sometimes you just need to a let track play out so it can be enjoyed. Anyone out there feelin' me?

I think a really good DJ is the guy who would be able to balance all those things you just mentioned in a way that doesn't distract the listeners/dancers.
I love long mixes, but as you said cluttering vocals is a NO,NO!
Scratching can be cool, but only for a few seconds to show off some skill. Not the entire track.
And quick mixing is cool too(IMO) but if the DJ does it all night I think people would go crazy. Balance is the key ;)

Btw, if your friend uses 4 minutes to beat-match a track, he might wanna consider another job..LOL

geposted Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 9:42 am

It's not that they can't do it quicker, it's just they "over-tweak".

geposted Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 10:23 pm
k_one wrote :

Btw, if your friend uses 4 minutes to beat-match a track, he might wanna consider another job..LOL

...........and he's only got 2 minutes left to mix out of the track........... hmmmmmmmmm lol

geposted Fri 25 Sep 09 @ 3:25 am
Oh, I know, then he scrambles to find the next track and, and then has 30 seconds left does a horrible mix. Trust me, it's hard to watch.

geposted Fri 25 Sep 09 @ 7:42 am
i take my time it depends but i like longer mixes

geposted Fri 25 Sep 09 @ 3:52 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
sandu8 wrote :
Would it be possible to get the bpm matching accurate to 0.01. The closest I can get is 0.03, so from 127.00 to 127.03. I would like to be able to go from 127.00 to 127.01.

Cheers,
Alex

Yes , you can do - Add 2 shorcuts for each deck - if you want to go down with BPM put this : deck 1 set_bpm 99.99% - and another : deck 2 set_bpm 99.99%
If you want to go up : deck 1 set_bpm 100.01% & deck 2 set_bpm 100.01% .
If you have a controller you don't need to put deck 1 or deck 2 -

When somebody ask for something you can answer or not - It's like the Old discussion about Sync or Beatmatch ... It's better to answer the question without to tell he/she must use the EARS ...

You are not CHEATING when you use Beatmatch IF you know how to do it manually and using the EARS .

geposted Tue 29 Sep 09 @ 3:39 am
i use sync that is why i use vdj so i can speed up and shake down my mixes wit all sort of stuff and then u get that nice sound of minimal and tech house :D

geposted Tue 29 Sep 09 @ 5:29 am
Alex wrote :

Yes , you can do - Add 2 shorcuts for each deck - if you want to go down with BPM put this : deck 1 set_bpm 99.99% - and another : deck 2 set_bpm 99.99%
If you want to go up : deck 1 set_bpm 100.01% & deck 2 set_bpm 100.01% .
If you have a controller you don't need to put deck 1 or deck 2 -

So are you saying if you use the mapper in 6.0.2 you can make the pitch faders to adjust in 100th's of a BPM vs just 10th's using the mapper statements above? That would be awesome. I notice Traktor LE has this... it does not make it ever exact... but it does cut down SOME on the number of times you are going to the jogwheel while adjusting/playing with the EQ/Volume Mix.

geposted Wed 30 Sep 09 @ 10:32 pm
djchad72 wrote :
So are you saying if you use the mapper in 6.0.2 you can make the pitch faders to adjust in 100th's of a BPM vs just 10th's using the mapper statements above?

Yes YOU CAN (but not with a controller pitch slider because they are too short for very small changes ) . take one song ...add the shortcuts & forget about the pitch slider ....you can go from 125,65 to 125,66 without any problem .
0,01 - 0,02 - 0,03 ...yes ..it's amazing .

geposted Thu 01 Oct 09 @ 1:39 am
i mean what is the difrence betwen 0.001 and0 .002 its totaly stupid

geposted Thu 01 Oct 09 @ 3:21 am
we are talking about 0,01 not 0,001 ... & yes , maybe we are stupid

geposted Thu 01 Oct 09 @ 1:15 pm
74%