Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best Laptop

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Will virtual dj work better with a p4 or a pentium m?

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 7:06 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
neither, buy a real computer....

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 8:05 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've used a laptop for years now with VDJ. It works flawlessly. My current laptop is a p-4 3.2g with a gig of ram. It also has Hyperthreading which I leave enabled. I don't know about the "M" or the "centrino". When I was shopping for a new laptop, I only looked at p-4's.

Back when I was using CD players, I upgraded every 2-3 years. I always tried to get the best of what was currently available. Since I have switched to using the computer, I have continued to try to get a new laptop every 2-3 years.

HOWEVER, your cracked version of VDJ will only cause you problems. I wouldn't install it on a fresh new computer. Before you go and spend a thousand or more dollars on hardware, you should first buy the full legal version of this software. Look over these very forums, you will see many many posts from obvious cracked version users asking some very difficult questions about why is my VDJ doing this, or why is my VDJ doing that. You'll learn that some of the cracked version problems will cause you some serious issues, some of which may ultimately require you to re-format your hard drive and re-install your OS just to get rid of issues that were caused by you trying to save a hundred bucks.

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 4:38 pm
Cyder, you're calling my laptop 'not a real computer'? It outperforms my desktop system in every way, it plays video with VDJ faster, although still at lower framerates. It outperforms many desktops used here in Aquamark I am sure (score 28.000).

I use an Acer Aspire 1801, 3GHz P4, 1GB memory, 128MB ATi Radeon X600 gfX card, 100GB 5400rpm HD..

As I said I think it's quite a bit more powerful compared to many systems used here..

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 5:28 pm
I guess my 70,000 score in aquamark is ok :). I have issues with laptops for many reasons. The biggest one was the failure of mine at a gig. Then being told it could not be fixed. I have perfect playback with video in vdj using mpeg-1. Plus the look of a laptop while djing by that's a whole other story.

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 6:23 pm
Well overall I think the minimal spec for truely usefull video support is way beyond what most use now for mp3 playback. From what I have read here it seems you need a gfx card in the $200 range to even consider having full framerate video mixing capabilities.. In any case your earlier 'refernce' of 20.00 score in aquamark is not adequate as both my systems are well above that and both do not perform at 'giglevel' IMO..

Which in itself if fine, but sofar it seems this is a (well) hidden requirement which user are confronted with once they want to start using video. IMO the recommended system specs as mentioned on the VDJ wegpages should reflect that need..

In all honesty I did not expect anything else and once I plan to actually start using video I will upgrade the GFX card in my gigsystem ( I do have a desktop system for gigs besides the laptop). I recon the required video card would pay for itself ina few gigs anyway so it is not an issue really.. It's just that right now it appears there is no special need for _REAL_ fast video cards to the 'less computer savvy' amongst the userbase..

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 8:18 pm
Paul,

I agree 20,000 is pretty low I'm gonna up it to 45,000 although some are having sucess at the 20k level. For video you need the speed that is a given. The video card i'm using was 160 at new egg. I know the team here is working on the next version already. we'll see what they have next.

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 8:29 pm
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Go with IBM and IBM only.
Every other brand of laptop is made of incredibly cheap parts. (I'm not just saying that out of the blue: I was told that by 2 different vendors at 2 different stores that didn't even sell IBM; and by a good firend of mine who sells computers for a living)

For IBM go with the T40 series or better.

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 8:45 pm
ibm is great we use those at my day job all the time for powerpoint and surfing the net. Personally I don't use them at gigs because of the limited upgradeabilty. I just adapted my old system to run the new vdj the upgrade was a little over 400 bucks, to find a laptop even close spec wise would cost around 2500-3000 us dollars and you'll have to drop that about evey two years just to keep up. look at my blog it has pictures of my system.

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 10:20 pm
IBM..........IBM..........IBM..........lol
Andre

geposted Sun 15 May 05 @ 11:25 pm
Oh come on guys...IBM this and IBM that.

I'm the manager at a local laptop store in my city. I do the technical work as well as sales.

a laptop is like a car. You can drive in a Ferrari or you can drive in a Chevette. Either way they will get you to where you want to go.

It doesn't matter what brand you get, ALL laptops have a certain defect with them. Each model and each brand is different. HP = bad high voltage invertors (normally caused by a bad motherboard), Compaq (bad hinges on most of their models), Dell (bad power supplies after approx 1.5 years), Toshiba (some models have bad hinges, others have cheap casings that crack after a while), IBM (Hardware conflicts, bad casings (the casing cracks near the hinges), Panasonic toughbooks (Well other then the hard to find drivers I haven't seen much go bad with these.

If you were to buy the BEST laptop I would recommend a panasonic toughbook since they just never break (hell the army uses these). Although they are QUITE pricy.

I know IBMs have a great reputation although they are also expensive and have stopped making laptops recently.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Mon 16 May 05 @ 2:36 pm
I can find very little wrong (if anything) with my Acer Aspire 1801. It's certainly not built from 'cheap' parts..

geposted Mon 16 May 05 @ 2:48 pm
hehe wait a little while. All Acers have issues although nothing that keeps coming back like the ones I've mentioned above. Sometimes the CPU overheats, others it will be a CD or DVD rom that will quit, Even the motherboard can go. Like I said before, ALL laptops have different defects although each company has many models. They are NOT all the same. Some models were excellent while others have such issues that seem to repeat on multiple models.

The Acers are cheap laptops. The backlight normally gives out after a year and a half (just outside of warranty) So is it worth fixing every year and a half? or are you just going to buy a new laptop every year? That's the main question really. HPs and Compaqs are really good for this and is why I am using them as an example. A motherboard for a laptop is almost the same price as what you paid for it. The LCD is approc 300$+ US. You can make double what you paid for a laptop if you take it appart and sell the parts individually.

I know it sounds bad although this is the issue with many laptops. They break quick and repairs are too expensive. those little rubber mouse covers on the stick mice are 15$ US!! Just for a small rounded rubber pad to rest your finger on.

geposted Mon 16 May 05 @ 3:13 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)