Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Behringer DDM4000 and VDJ - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

BunfordHome userMember since 2010
Hi,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to turn LED on my DDM4000 on when using it as a MIDI controller for VDJ?

I'm using a USB-MIDI cable to connect my mixer to the laptop. Currently using VDJ Trial to test it out to see if it's worth buying. Basically, when I assing parts of the DDM4000 to MIDI, the lights go out in that part/section. Is there anyway I can get VDJ to turn the lights on/off as indicators for what they are?

Ideally, I'd like all lights on, then off as I use them as controls for VDJ. tried googling but can't find anything.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 6:23 am
jakovskiPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 6:30 am
Hi,

As I said, using trial at the moment so can't download. I'm currently testing to see if VDJ is worth buying. By blocking trial users from trying out skins, effects, mappers etc, it's putting me off as I'm not sure enough if i'll get on with it to pay for it. Other trials like Traktor and Torq allow full experience.

At the moment, I'm leaning against buying VDJ though, purely because I can't test simple things like this.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 6:57 am
As an owner of both, I can tell you first-hand that it works, an it's the truth.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 9:58 am
Bunford wrote :
Other trials like Traktor and Torq allow full experience.

Its been awhile since I tried out Traktor and Torq..
can you customize the midi mapping with them too?

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 10:40 am
Yeah, you can. Traktor seems to be the one I'm leaning towards from the trial versions.

I have Virtual DJ (trial version for the moment) and a Behringer DDM4000 mixer/midi controller.

I want to use the DDM4000 as a complete controller for Virtual DJ. I have a USB to MIDI cable and can connect the two (a simple cable in style of M-Audio Uno, but a cheaper version with silver cable - version available for £6 odd on eBay). However, the only options I have in the "mappers" section of Virtual DJ's config menu are "Keyboard" and "Simple MIDI Wrapper".

According to Virtual DJ's manual that I found online, a simple MIDI wrapper means it can only transfer basic MIDI controls such as knobs and sliders.

However, I want to configure my DDM4000 to control everything on Virtual DJ and want the LEDs on the mixer to show up as indicators etc. However, I can only seem to assign one control per button/knob/fader at the moment, and if i tell it to turn LED on nothing happens.

Is this cos I'm doing it wrong or do I need to change any piece of my setup? Do I need a better quality USB-MIDI adapter, something like M-Audio Uno or M-Audio Midisport? Though, according to specs, they have same specs as my current adapter.

And before anyone suggests it, it is possible as it's listed as doing so under the mappers download area on Virtual DJ's site. As I only have trial version I cannot download it though, unless someone else knows an alternate download area I can get it to test what part of my kit, if any, is flagging before I go out and buy VDJ or other parts?

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 11:30 am
I have the DDM4000. I have 2 different sets of MIDI cables. One of them, everything works PERFECTLY as it is mapped. The other cable, certain parts of the same mapper don't work as they are supposed to. But I have mapped effects, LEDs, actions, sliders, etc. And everything works just as I entered it. I can control as much (or as little) as I want of VDJ directly from the DDM4000. It's one of the better investments I have made gear wise in a long time. I love the fact that I can customize it and make whatever button do whatever I want it to do.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 11:40 am

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 11:49 am
Oh, and also, how do I get the midi mapper to recognise my DM4000 as at the moment I only have Keyboard and Simple MIDI Mapper options, which is where I think the problem lies. How can I get my mixer/controller to be recognised in VDJ?

This element of it is winding up no end, and pushing me further and further away from buying Virtual DJ.

If my mixer is connected to my laptop with the USB-MIDI adapter, how do I get it recognised as a mappable device?

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 12:16 pm
As a licensed user, you will have access to the Definition and Mapper for the DDM4000 that is available from our Downloads area. We provide these files as a priviledge of being a licensed user. Since the Behringer DDM4000 has not been 'certified' and 'validated' by our development team, it will not be included in the trial versions. Until that happens, the recommendations and comments by existing licensed users using this device is your best answer to it's configuration and abilities.

To explain a little bit on how our MIDI mapping system works. With a Definition file that defines the INPUT elements of the unit, you can control the display(s) and button LEDs on a device, if they can be defined to receive actions. The SimpleMIDIWrapper only allows for setting up the OUTPUT of a device to send to and activate VDJScript actions in VirtualDJ. You can not use the SimpleMIDIWrapper for sending from VirtualDJ to a device.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 1:43 pm
@ Support Staff

Sorry to correct you but,

You can use simple MIDI wrapper for sending from VirtualDJ to a device.

On the Behringer website it has a pdf of all the midi notes "CC" of not only the inputs, but the outputs (LEDs) as well. So if you have a simple midi wrapper you can just copy the "CC" from the PDF and paste it onto the midi wrapper, it it will output it to the device. I've tried it.

So if anyone does not have the mapper the link is here:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/DDM4000_P0167_A_YY.pdf

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 2:03 pm
Thing is, it's a catch 22 which is going to result in Atomix losing a sale (at the moment).

I'm not investing that much money without being able to try, yet I can't try until I invest. If I invest and it's not what I want/like, will Atomix refund? Doesn;t seem fair to expect people to pay up without them actually 'knowing' what the product is and if it's what they're looking for.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 2:56 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I'm not accusing you Bunford, only trying to clarify something, please understand that. If your trial has run out send support a request to extend it. My point however is this. Often we see people using illegal versions of the software make the same claim you made above. We will see them on these boards for months, sometimes years, making the same statement you did. "If I can't try it, I will not buy it." When, in reality, they are (and have been) trying it, for free, for a very long time. I hope the situation is a little bit clearer for you. And hope things work out enough for you to purchase a full Pro license.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 3:29 pm
I understand that. My point it with Traktor, Serato and Torq, which are the 3 main VDJ competitors, I can try plugins, skins, mappers etc to make sure it's what I want before buying. My point it, in eliminating this option, my guess is VDJ is losing a lot of custom to the other 3 companies.

VDJ seems to be what I'm looking for, but so does Torq and Traktor. In being able to fully test the other two, it obviously puts me in a better position to make and informed judgement on which to buy, hence my comment on Atomix probably losing sales due to strange rules.

Please understand, I have a DDM4000 mixer to use with a virtual DJing piece of software. Unless I can make sure the software works as I want with my mixer, I will no buy cos it's too much to pay "in the hope" that it will work.

I hope that clarifies why I'm finding it difficult to convince myself to buy this.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 3:43 pm
Makashino wrote :
You can use simple MIDI wrapper for sending from VirtualDJ to a device.

Simple MIDI Wrapper supports input only (I.e: Button presses from the MIDI controller.)

LED's will not work without a definition file to tell VirtualDJ that they are present and what values should be sent to turn them on/off, etc.

NOTE: I have tested this by mapping a button on MIDI controller that has LED's. It uses the same note number for both the button presses (Input) and turning the LED on/off (Output.) Mapped it to play_pause and the song plays (As expected), but the LED does not turn on.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 3:53 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
There is nothing strange about the rules at all. The addons available for download are created by the community for other licensed users in the community. They are not part of the official VDJ package; those are supplied with the install. Think of the downloadable stuff as a bonus from the community as a thankyou for being a legitimate licensed user and helping fund continued development of the software :)

Just to clarify, Torq & Serato both need you to have bought hardware to use them - so I'm not sure how much you believe you can try without buying?

The DDM4000 will work just fine as a mixer as will any mixer; if you're doing audio only it doesn't even need mapping. You can simply configure VDJ in external mixer mode and rock away. If you did want to map it, it's honestly very simple to do.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 4:08 pm
I'm more than happy to conifgure the definition and map myself to test (if possible). Just difficult to find out how to do this as there are no simple instruction son the site how to do so.

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 4:15 pm
@ jpboggis

It depends which hardware you use. The DDM4000 has a different note number for button input and a different note number for LED outputs on that same button. So I have used Simple MIDI Wrapper for LED outputs.

I have tested it on my DDM4000 and Simple MIDI Wrapper! IT DOES WORK!

BTW: If anyone is still thinking I use the pirated version, this is during the summer time when I was an NLU. I have given my DDM4000 away to my DJ partner for now, until i get VDJ Pro and ask for it back. He wants to get familiar with the DDM4000 and such.. haha

geposted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 4:46 pm
I would just like to say that thanks to Atomix's dire trial version limiting users so much in being able to test compatible hardware etc, and lack of help for genuine triallists here on the forums, you have just lost yourself a customer and I have now bought Traktor and am very pleased with it.

geposted Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 6:52 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
For the record the mapping functionality in the trial is fully capable. The limitation is in not being able to download pre-configure, user-made mappings. You can even use the simple MIDI mapper to map a MIDI controller in a basic fashion extremely quickly.

If Atomix made all mappings, plugins and so on available for free to all 'trial' users, they would be all over the torrent sites in no time.

There are instructions in the wiki on mapping and device creation, plus plenty of feedback available from DDM4000 users with it working fine if you're prepared to search the forum.

Enjoy Traktor.

geposted Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 7:27 am
63%