Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ideal SetUp with Hercules DJ Console

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Dear members,

I am looking for the ideal set up purely from a sound quality perspective for future playing in bars/clubs with a laptop and hercules DJ console. As my current set up means that I use the soundcard in the Hercules DJ Console I am wondering whether this quality is sufficient for medium sized audiences (read few hundred people) or whether anybody can advise me to buy additional products to boost the quality of the output.

Also I see that a lot of users have an external mixing panel but it seems to me that unless one is a real professional, the DJ Hercules Console is sufficient for basic gigs?

All comments/tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Johan

geposted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 5:28 pm
the soundquality of Hercules console is the best part of the console

it got 24bits very good sound! And the main reason for me taking it to gigs (using external mixer)

geposted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 5:37 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
@dj-in-norway
How do you connect HDJC to external mixer?? HDJC has only one stereo output (main stereo) in DJ mode. Where is second channel? If you use external mixer you have to have 2 stereo outputs.
I really like to connect it to my DN X300 mixer.

thx

Dj Nikki

geposted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 5:46 pm
droeliHome userMember since 2005
@ xeon and everyone else
there's no need to
just connect the console to one channel
use the treble mid ,and, bass knobs on the hercules for fading out and in.
Use the bass ,mid and treble on the mixer for sound improvement.
If you only use the hercules you will lose bass when using full midd.
you won't have this with a mixer because he amplifies the signal.
I hope this will help you

p.s.
if you want to record your mix it's bettter to use a second computer or analog cd writer

geposted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 6:14 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I know DJ-IN-Norway (along with others here at this forum) have had great luck & use out of the HDJ console. But I wouldn't invest too much money on perfecting your console setup ...especially if you plan on taking VDJing to the next level. You'll spending less in the long run if you invest in a quality setup. I purchased the HDJ Console when they first came out, sent it back for repair ... I was able to use it for only a few months before it started giving me problems again. Don't mean to step on any toes here but highly recommed looking into another setup ...so many to choose from now a days!

geposted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 7:56 pm
we are talking about the SOUNDCARD only, chabonk! ;)

its a GREAT soundcard, and getting it will get you boundled up with an ok midi controller... (not the most pro controller in the world, but hey... u got it for "free" getting the great soundcard that it has)
Thats my point only ;)

HDJC has TWO stereo output....
You can use channel 1-2 for deck 1 in Virtual DJ, and channel 4-6 for deck 2.
Connect it to 2 different channels in external mixer

Works great! BUT, you need the FULL verison of Virtual DJ for this to work :)
It DOES NOT work in the demo version, sorry :)

geposted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 8:34 pm
@xeon - hercules has 6 outputs in dj mode and you cam map them in vdj in the advanced config to your will

-------------------
@Droeli - "If you only use the hercules you will lose bass when using full midd.
you won't have this with a mixer because he amplifies the signal."

- NOt complete truth. You have limiter turned on so if you pump up the mids to the max the sound should be distorted because it is above the maximum value. Limiter prevents this but lowering total volume. So it looks like you loose the bass and heighs.... If you will lower your gain all will work as with normal mixer.

Anyway I prefer adjusting EQ on the real mixer not on hercules ;-) when I have one.
---------------
@norway - HDJC has actually three outputs, one bad thing is that you can map headphones only to the first 2 outputs.

geposted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 12:11 am
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I would if playing before an audience always use an external mixer with the HDJC. EQ knobs and especially the crossfader on the console are much to unprecise for dj'ing 'professionally'.

Also the latency is clearly better this way.

geposted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 6:33 am
There are actually no EQ's at the Console.. not hardware EQ's, like on a mixer.

They are only midi knobs, that will use VDJ's EQ values. Hence, it's VDJ's EQ values/sound that might need a bit of work :)

Remember, its only a midi controller, not a hardware mixer. So connecting Hercules to a real mixer at gig, is for sure recommended

And yes! I know it has 3x stereo output.. .. Was just explaining that two of the stereo outputs could be used for connecting to a external mixer .. One for each deck of VDJ :)

Anyway... its a GREAT soundcard for connecting to an external mixer.. And thats what the original poster asked about ;) hehe...

geposted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 10:04 am
Thanks for all the feedback guys, really helpfull. To Chabonk, what then is a real quality setup? Could you give some examples? Thanks,

geposted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 1:50 pm
A few examples that come to my mind of a more quality setup:

Either CD Decks using TCCD,Turntables using TCV, or the xp10's.

I know there are a number of people using various Denon Cd Decks and they all seem to be happy with them. I personally have a denon 3000 and I love it. It will be the perfect setup once my other one arrives. Any of the denons (1000, 3000, or 5000) will work. I also started with the hercules controler but ditched it due to the unreliable buttons and the need to expand. However I still use the hercules on occasion and have an external usb keypad which I have mapped for the button features on the hercules along with stuff like cues and samples. This works pretty good but in my opionion the hercules is not as professional as I wanted. I know others have different opinions and I dont want to argue. Also to use either tccd or tcv you need a soundcard with 4 inputs and 4 outputs like the maya 44 usb.

Hope this helps.

geposted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 5:06 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Whatever set-up you choose, you'll need an external mixer, either to buy one or use one at the club you work at.., this hardware is essential, as it is delay free and most mixers are very solid working.., even cheap mixers are good and a huge plus over useing virtual DJ alone, hence, a mixer is something you can't really waste money on..., for mobile set-ups, home practice, private gigs etc.., you'll need one!.

read virtual to real here (for more insight): http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=12978

Bagpuss

geposted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 8:39 pm

geposted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 11:39 am
I use a laptop and the Hercules DJ console. It works but if you are going to use it every weekend im not sure how durable it is. I have a power conditioner, a Sonic Maxiumizer (to improve the sound quality issues) and i have Samsons 500w self amplified speakers. I put everything into a 6 space odissy case. I had to make a few small modifications to the case.

I do mobile gigs and it is quick, small and sounds great!

geposted Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 5:14 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)