Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Converting music Library from PC to Mac

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro but need instructions on how to convert my music library from the old PC laptop to my new MacBook.

I keep all my music on a large external hard drive. On the PC laptop the music files are located in F:\My Music\Promo Only

On my new mac the large external hard drive is labeled as My Book. And the music files are the in the file path /Volumes/My Book/My Music/Promo Only

How do i get virtual dj to recognize my music library without having to rescan everything? and to be able to keep all my hot cues and other info?

Is there a simple list of instruction for migrating from Pc to Mac?

Thank you for your help

geposted Mon 27 Dec 10 @ 1:49 pm
in the browsing area of virtual dj go to your music library folder and right click the folder click 'add as favourite' also for easy use, click 'add to search db' this will leave a folder in the browsing area of virtual dj and will also add all your music library to the search database.

geposted Tue 28 Dec 10 @ 3:44 am
yes, but does this keep all my hot cues and playlists in tact?

geposted Tue 28 Dec 10 @ 7:25 pm
If the music is on an external hard disk, you should not need to do anything because the hard disk will have its own local VirtualDJ database containing your BPM, comments, etc.

However, if the drive is formatted NTFS (Windows), then the Mac will not be able to write to it, so updating the database will not be possible, and you cannot add new songs to it from the Mac.

If you wish to share the drive between Mac and PC then you will need to reformat the drive to use Fat32 file system instead of NTFS.

If you wish to use it for Mac only you should reformat it as a Mac drive.

Before doing this, make a copy of all your music on the drive and the local database found at the root of the drive.

After the drive is reformatted, copy the local database back along with your music, making sure you keep exactly the same folder structure that you had before.

geposted Thu 30 Dec 10 @ 7:42 am
What if the drive I have is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), not NTFS or Fat32?

geposted Tue 15 Feb 11 @ 3:34 pm
Basically I have been scanning all of my files on a G-Drive and I am wanting to move all my files over to a new Guardian Maximus Drive.

How should I format my new drive in order to move everything, including BPM's and cue points, over seamlessly?

Also is there a way to scan files on my PC on the Guardian Maximus then hook that drive up to my MacBook Pro and run my Virtual DJ on my MacBook Pro and still keep all my cue points and BPM's? hope this makes sense...

geposted Tue 15 Feb 11 @ 3:39 pm
apedrotte wrote :
I recently bought a new MacBook Pro but need instructions on how to convert my music library from the old PC laptop to my new MacBook.

I keep all my music on a large external hard drive. On the PC laptop the music files are located in F:\My Music\Promo Only

On my new mac the large external hard drive is labeled as My Book. And the music files are the in the file path /Volumes/My Book/My Music/Promo Only

How do i get virtual dj to recognize my music library without having to rescan everything? and to be able to keep all my hot cues and other info?

Is there a simple list of instruction for migrating from Pc to Mac?

Thank you for your help

Hello,

It's a simple FIND & REPLACE to do... ;)

i have used for this a simple text prog: 'Text Wrangler'

To change the database file of VDJ to Mac you have to do 2 steps (make a copy of the xml file!!!):

- Load the xml to Text Wrangler, open 'Find', type in at the first line "F:\", in the second "/Volumes/MyBook/", Then click on 'Replace all'.
- Second step: type in at the first line "\", in the second "/", now click 'Replace All'.
(all without " )

You can so change althogh the playlist files. But there is another path!!!
And you can change a whole folder with playlists with Text Wrangler... It's Freeware and very fast.

Greetz
Ava

geposted Tue 15 Feb 11 @ 3:53 pm
StephenC wrote :
What if the drive I have is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), not NTFS or Fat32?

In that case it will work on Mac only.

If you wish to use an external drive on both a Mac and PC, then you will need to use FAT32 format.

geposted Wed 16 Feb 11 @ 12:02 pm
jpboggis wrote :
StephenC wrote :

In that case it will work on Mac only.

If you wish to use an external drive on both a Mac and PC, then you will need to use FAT32 format.

I have used my external drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and I'm running firewire 800 into my MacBook Pro and I have run Virtual DJ on the Mac side of my MacBook and it runs perfectly, and when I reboot in BootCamp in Windows XP, as long as I have my External Plugged in before I boot it up into Windows XP, the OS reads it fine and anything I have changed on the Mac side of Virtual DJ shows up the same on the Windows side, such as BPM's and cue points...

But if I change anything on the Windows side, such as scanning new songs for BPM's then when I go back over to the Mac side it shows no change for the new scan of BPM's...

So it seems it will only work one way... I wish I could scan all my songs on my PC and plug in my hard drive into my Mac OS X and be able to run Virtual DJ where the Mac OS side recognizes my changes on the PC side, but I have tried moving databases and everything...

Now if I format my hard drive in NTFS then it works, but I have to have a certain program installed on my Mac OS X side in order to read and write to an NTFS formatted drive....

I feel it should work in either direction as long as it is formatted properly...

I am about to move over all of my songs to a new hard drive and the drive all my music is on now is formatted in Mac OS (Journaled) and I plan on formatting my new drive in Mac OS (Journaled)... unless someone has experienced something different and I believe I am going to daisy chain the drives firewire 800 style and use the copy feature in VDJ, because from what I hear when I do this it will write the correct XML file to the new hard drive no matter the name of the new hard drive as it is suppose to convert the new drive in correspondence to the new xml file....

geposted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 4:12 am
Bootcamp has read only drivers built-in that allow Mac formatted partitions and drives to be read but not written to, so any changes made to the VirtualDJ database will be lost when you close the software.

The opposite applies if you format the drive NTFS - A PC can read and write to it, but a Mac will only be able to read (So no changes made on the Mac will be saved to the database) unless you install 3rd party software that also allows writing.

As previously advised, if you wish to use a drive on both MacOS and Windows, then ideally you should format it FAT32 (Use a PC to do this.) Then both Mac and PC can read and write to it (Allowing database changes to be saved) without the need for any 3rd party software.

geposted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 12:36 pm
gharbudPRO InfinityMember since 2010
ive had the same problem, all ive done the is got another exernatl drive and formatted it to fat32

then copied all my music files and vdj database file to it from my pc external drive

plugged into mac and it reads the database absolutly fine, the only issue i have is that i wont read the playlists i created in windows, i would of thought that virtual dj might of come up with a soulution ie a file converter for people who are switching from pc to mac

geposted Tue 22 Feb 11 @ 3:34 pm
gharbud wrote :
... the only issue i have is that i wont read the playlists i created in windows, i would of thought that virtual dj might of come up with a soulution ie a file converter for people who are switching from pc to mac

Open a history Playlist from VDJ at your Mac and take a look about the Path of your files.
They are different in Playlists to the database sometimes if you use an Fat32 partition! (e.g. in database is /volumes/musik/... in playlists f:/musik/...)
Then you can your windows playlists change with find & replace (look ahead of theses thread) and copy them into the history or playlists folder of VDJ.
Only there the playlists will be recognized in the mac version, not in any other folder!!! Thats a bug at the moment in VDJ-Mac!

geposted Wed 23 Feb 11 @ 12:40 pm
Hi does anyone can tell me how to scan my external HD with virtual DJ ? I cant browse for anything please help i'm new using macbook pro.Thanks

geposted Sun 21 Jul 13 @ 2:39 pm
Please see our FAQ pages:

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Add%20to%20search%20DB.html

NOTE: If you have switched from PC to Mac, then you will not be able to add songs with a PC NTFS formatted drive because Mac can't write to it to update its local database (MacOS does not natively support writing to PC NTFS formatted drives.) You will need to back up the music on it and then convert it to native Mac format if you won't be using it with PC's any more, otherwise FAT32 or exFat if you wish to use it on both Mac and PC.

geposted Mon 22 Jul 13 @ 1:32 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)