Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Virtual DJ for weddings

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

kilerbHome userMember since 2005
I have 2 questions... I've posted before, and I'm getting closer to starting my biz up.
So here are my 2 questions...

1. I'm going to do weddings primarily. I've read a lot about the different DJ programs available, and the one thing that I noticed on PowerDJ is that it allows you to have a "schedule." For instance, you can program an agenda field to say "7PM: Grand entrance of bridal party. Play Frank Sinatra My Way., 8PM, first dance, Play Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline." and it seems like a great organizational feature. Does Virtual DJ have something like this? I'm not going to be working clubs and scratching... I just need a solid program to play music and help me organize the night. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

2. I've read these forums and noticed a lot of you crediting Virtual DJ to being very solid when using your laptops. I was wondering if you had any particular models that are especially reliable? Or maybe specs that you guys look for that may be over and above what they recommend on the support site.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

geposted Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 11:27 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
You can easily create playlists and name them what ever you want.

Get the meanest, baddest laptop out there, scrap the os and install XP Professional, VDJ, Direct X 9c, your soundcard drivers and go!
If you want to mix, consider a console controller right from the start.

Keep it off the net and don't install antivirus.

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 12:55 am
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Virtual DJ does not have a scheduler based on time, but you're better off reading the crowd and adapting anyways! My experience with weddings is that nothing is ever on scheduel ;-)

And VDJ is rock solid (you should properly configure windows first though; see below) .
I've used it multilple times in 9+ hour gigs.

Get IBM and only IBM for your laptop.
It's more than worth the extra 500-1000$ (you'll make the money back in 2-3 weddings!)

And yeah stay off the net and check out DJ Coco's setup guide: http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=1180&page=1

and my setup guide:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=8194&highlight=setup%20guide

And I can't stress this enough: Get rid of everything called "Norton" on your system.

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 1:24 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have done weddings using VDJ.
I used it for everything. Cocktail hour music, dinner music and of course for the rest of the evenings events.
For dinner music I make a playlist and when it is time for dinner I just load it up and let it play.

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 1:20 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
killerb > VDJ is a live-based digital mixing software.

By Live, I mean real LIVE, ie without any schedule, ect...
There's no schedule feature and if you want to play FS - My Way at 7:00pm you'll have to check your clock and then load the song at the correct time ;)

That is by definition the basic work of a DJ whatever he is using or not a digital mixing software.

My personnal point of view was always to use softwares as a TOOL to do my best during a party, not to let a computer schedule and mix on its own.

For your aims, maybe a radio digital playing software should fit your goals.

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 1:46 pm
I do weddings too the only way i miss in vdj
is coctail part, i tryed different settings for background music automixing, but
other free software fits me better. I use one winamp plugin that looks ahead for silence before end.
When a defined time before this point is reached it tryes to fade to other song.

This is the only feature of VDJ automated mode i miss.

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 2:33 pm
@Kilerb, as Raz mentioned and Yan-X indicated, you cannot schedule when to play a track, especially not at a wedding reception. It is true, I have been doing wedding receptions for years and NEVER seen one that flows on schedule. Sorta makes you wonder about DJPower tho doesn't it ??? hmmm

You already got a good recommendation about laptop.

Good luck.

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 6:14 pm
Thanks guys... By the way, when I mentioned the "scheduling" feature, i didn't mean that the laptop would play frank sinatra my way at 7pm. I meant it has a little area with a schedule that you can read and follow. An agenda, and you can alter it if you want... It's just there rather than having a clip board or a written schedule. I saw a guy at a wedding i was at using PowerDJ and it had a big clock in the corner and all the scheduling in another corner, playlist. it was just cool. They won't sell you their software though unless you buy their laptop, and i'm not sure they really have a user forum to find out about the stability like we have here. That's another thing i like about this software so far, the community.

By the way, when you mentioned IBM laptop, you mean the brand obviously not just a PC. Is IBM more reliable than say sony, toshiba, compaq, or any of the other big names out there? Thanks again!

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 10:10 pm
Also, one other question regarding the message above about a seperate console controller. Is that something a wedding DJ would really need? I'll just be fading music into each other and MC'ing mainly. What benefit does a seperate console controller give one? Thanks!

geposted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 10:47 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
The console is going to give you the cd "Feel" with respect to loading, cueing and beatmixing your tracks.
To go through the trouble of memorizing the keyboard shortcuts with the wrong key threat looming constantly, like don't hit "p" when you want "o", is not worth the trouble imo.

The controller ties directly to the interface, the only thing I use the keyboard for is searching.
Once you get the "feel" you will never go back, ask anyone who owns one.

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 1:29 am
Sounds cool... Which one do you use or suggest?

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 2:33 am
Have you purchased the software already? Please make your profile show that.

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 4:25 am
I have not. Am I not supposed to be in here asking questions prior to buying? I will be buying eitehr Virtual DJ or PowerDJ in the next month or 2. I thought it was pretty clear that i was still shopping above.

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 5:07 am
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
IBM is the only name when it comes to laptops.
All other companies use cheap parts and configs to assemble their laptops.
I have had 2 Toshiba vendors tell me not to buy Toshibas for DJing because they couldnt trust it 100%.

IBM is really solid stuff... just costs a little bit more ;-)
I have a T42 myself. Can't complain!

As for the console... the Hercules DJ console acts as an awesome soundcard.
So even if you don't use to control the software, you'll use it a soundcard (24 bit!)

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 3:49 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Kilerb,
Though I may not be in agreement that IBM is the only laptop to use (I have had a few VERY dependable HP's) I do agree that it sounds like your best bet for an affordable soundcard and controller is the Hercules DJ Console.

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 3:58 pm
Very cool... I have a standard computer now and the MP3's I play on it sound great. What does the Hercules sound card give me beyond that? It's external I suppose? Is it USB?
Thanks!

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 8:05 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes the console has an USB connection.

geposted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 9:50 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)