Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Video Discussion

Topic: My Monitor mount design

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
So I have been planning getting a much bigger crowd display. As mobile DJ, this needs to be light, compact and FAST to set up. Which is very hard to find for purchase anywhere that I have looked. I have had a hard time finding something that was this flexible and affordable AND get the bottom of the TV above my head. So here is my design, Let me know what you think and if you have any better ideas!

USE THE DESIGN AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I ASSUME NO LIABILITY OF DAMAGES, FAILURE OR INJURY. This is just to show you how I did it. DO NOT cut corners or buy cheap hardware. You should also have DJ insurance if you are going to have large objects haning over head. Drunk people trip all the time, all it takes is 1.

Now, here is the mount with safety cables. The pole is from an "On Stage Stand" (brand) Lighing tripod, cut down to 26 inches wide. The safty cables are standard 31 inch Lighting safety cable. I used M6 Flare head bolts (6 MM, 1.00 pitch, 16 MM long) with 1/4 inch hole, Fender washers (about 2 inch outside) and tightened the cable loop snug to the back of the TV (loctite on the threads).

I have M6 flare head bolts (6 MM, 1.00 pitch, 20 MM long) going through these standard plastic Lighting O clamps and directly into the TV. Use metal washers on the blot head (you may have to grind the edges of the washer to fit inside the clamp). Loctite the threads before treading into the TV.

I leave the Bracket on this TV all the time and just place the tripod pole in the the Plastic T head fitting, in the middle here. So the only thing I have to tighten is the the Wing bolt on the T adaptor of this tripod head.

Finished design 8ft in the air with my 2 sided Lycra stand cover.

I also got a 15 foot power cord from Ebay ($6) and a 25 foot DVI to HDMI cable from Newegg (about $30).

Your bolts and washers may vary in size, depending on what your TV was built to be mounted with. This is a standard Samsung 40inch LCD, LED TV that is only about 15 pounds. You should not hang heavy TVs by only 2 bolts of the 4, or more required bolts. Even though this TV is light, the safety cables should provide extra security in case of failure.

Good Luck!

geposted Wed 06 Feb 13 @ 6:56 pm
What size screens do you mobile guys use out there? This is my personal TV, not sure if I want to go bigger or not... Maybe nothing more than a 50" but just not sure I want to travel with that.

geposted Sat 09 Feb 13 @ 6:35 am
50's are pretty much the norm, but it all depends on the room size. A complete kit should have a few screens of all sizes I.M.O.
I like your idea of the o-clamp in the tv mount holes though, very clever. I will try that asap.
Thanks.

By the way, I'm not sure how you are transporting those but you might want to invest in some tv road cases to protect your investments.

geposted Fri 15 Feb 13 @ 3:25 pm
Yea, a 50 would be nice and I will probably get there. Any good suggestions (names) on road cases? Right now I just put it in the cab of my tuck, so it is pretty safe.

As far as a few screens, you are right. if I did this all the time, it would be different. Right now this is my bedroom tv. I only do a couple shows a month, full time job is pretty demanding. This is more of a hobby and seeing as how I only know of one other mobile video guy in the area and the only one in rotation at any of my venues. I guess he has a projector, but I like direct view tvs more.

I am also trying to keep set up times down. I have allot of lights, which is the other reason I don't want a projector. Also needs to be a small cargo load, as I have a Chev S10 pickup with a bed cap. System, lights and TV is getting a bit cramped and already takes an hour and a half for me to get all set up.

geposted Sun 17 Feb 13 @ 6:37 pm
http://www.casedesign.qc.ca/en/home.html
is one of the most reputable case producers here in Montreal. My plan is to go all case design but the things are not cheap.
Same thing here:
http://www.multi-caisses.com/en/

I'm a bit upset that I wasted my money on Gator cases. The polyurethane is good in that it does not retain the heat from machines but my cases have not stood up to the constant transporting. First things to go were the latches, then the castors and now the handles. I've looked into their g-tour series cases which appear more robust but I decided to spend the extra coin and get solid cases.

So I'm not sure who is the leading case production company in your area but I can offer you my bad experience as a warning. No Gator if you move around a lot.
You might have some luck here http://www.roadcasesusa.com/customized-single-plasma-lcd-cases-heavy-duty-3-8-ply-42-50/.

It's good to have tv's in your kit because in smaller rooms projectors can sometimes be impractical. Even short through projectors require space that might just not be available.
Flat screens give a sharp image in any light and save alot of space. Sometimes you might need to use both - depends on the setup.

geposted Tue 05 Mar 13 @ 3:56 am
Thanks for all the case info. I actually only do 1 or 2 shows a month. My full time job pays very well, so I do this for fun. As far as video, I am the only guy in my club that does it, so I am kind of ahead of the curve there. They do pay very well though, so I want to give them a good show. I have seen a Uhaul LCD moving box (cardboard) for cheap ($90ish). That should be fine if I only move it once a month... I only played 5 video shows last year. So $300 is my cap unless I see an uptick in demand. I can replace the TV for $500..

The club gets about 200 to 300 people when I play and that room has low ceilings. So my head will be in the way of a 50" (behind me). Also most LCD stands are either 6 foot (truss), full truss or I found a 10 foot (only) convention center stand. the 10 foot was extruded Aluminum (2 bolt together sections) which would't work at all. I really needed a telescoping tripod mount.

I have always been afraid of projectors as I have a small truck (not allot of room for large truss or stands). Also, I really have yet to see a good way to consistently mount a projector, facing a screen that people won't walk between and won't require angle adjustments on every setup because of a change in projector position.

I actually already take 45+ min to set up my main sound system. I bought a Numark NS7 that really just seems to be a resource hog when it comes to VDJ. So I had to go with a desktop PC... I already spend so much time setting up, that I just didn't want the risk of a projector, seeing as how I am so far ahead of people in my area anyway, there was no real push, except by my client was recently requesting bigger. I was using a 23" PC, LCD monitor and while that is small, it is a singles event. They are not there for the videos, they look over every now an then and that is it. I have actually never heard a complaint about size, ever. Most are just happy to see video! They don't even know my name, they just keep requesting "the video guy".

I would be iterested in seeing projector mounts and "behind the scenes" look at how people do them. But the above idea only takes a few min to set up total and I really don't make enough per month to justify getting some big dedicated video equipment. This is actually my bedroom TV and I can leave the mount in place. So placement on the tripod is only 30 seconds from bedroom to tripod. A 50" might happen if I replace my 55" inch RPTV in my livingroom.

But I do feel others here can benifit from pics and ideas. Which is why I posted, nobody elese seems to show how they do it. So these were my ideas that will hopefully help others get into video.

geposted Tue 05 Mar 13 @ 5:50 pm
Well I for one am glad you shared. Like I said before, I never thought about the O clamps. So cheers again and happy spinnin' bro.

geposted Tue 12 Mar 13 @ 1:51 pm
Thanks! Still interested to see how people set up thier projectors and screens. Anyone? Hello o o o o :)

geposted Tue 12 Mar 13 @ 5:28 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)