Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Allen & Heath DB2 mixer and audio issues

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I'm wondering if anyone out there owns and is using this mixer for VDJ. I know it was made and recommended for Traktor but I am a VDJ user and LOVE this board. I really want to be able to use it and it would be great if the MIDI functionality of it could be integrated natively. In any case, the main question I had was with the internal Sound Card on the board.

Has anyone else had issues with the sound set-up. My Windows 7 lap-top will play perfectly for a few minutes and then it just hangs. This does not happen with my old M-Audio Fastrack Pro card. I know it's not the mixer and the internal card is just an ASIO driver. If anyone can shed some light or has any suggestions that would be great. I did a search on the forum for the DB2 and nothing really came up. If there is a similar thread and am missing something then please feel free to point me in that direction.

Thanks.

geposted Tue 25 Jun 13 @ 9:43 pm
You'll have to be a lot more specific than saying "it just hangs" in order to have someone help you.

For example, what hangs? Is it VDJ, the whole computer, the sound?

How do you know "it's not the mixer"?

What are your audio config settings in VDJ? What is your ASIO buffer set at?

Does the DB2 audio work OK in other software?

Have you optimised the laptop for audio usage? have you run DPC latency checker?

geposted Thu 27 Jun 13 @ 9:33 am
Hey... after reading my post again I realize you're right. it was too vague. Sorry about that. To be honest, the problem is solved now anyways. I ended up giving the DB2 back and now I have a Denon DN-X1700 instead that I went back and got.

I loved many things about the DB2 but here is what was happening.
I installed the driver for the board which is an ASIO driver. It installed perfectly fine. I booted up VDJ and got no error messages. Loaded up a track and it played right away. For whatever reason after a non specified time the track would just stop. The digital platter on screen would freeze and not move. I know VDJ wasn't crashing because everything else in the program would still work. I just couldn't get the sound card of the board to speak properly. The computer is an ASUS with an I7 and 4gb of RAM and 1GB of dedicated video memory. The machine is absolutely solid and is dedicated to VDJ on Windows 7 64bit. I just couldn't see why the driver wouldn't work after everything done. I even wiped the machine to get the registry all clean as well as wipe out any conflicts that way have been present. It was about due for it since I did that last year. I still had the same results.

The other weird issue is that Allen & Heath claim the driver should work without an issue with Windows 7 64bit and on the flip side they state on the site that they cannot guarantee it works with Windows 8. That being said, I have a back-up computer with Windows 8 on it. It's a Samsung with 8gb or Ram, 2 gb dedicated video and Windows 8 64bit. I installed the drivers and it worked fantastically well. No problems at all.

All this being said, I worked on this for 4 days and the only thing that drove me to get rid of it was the lack of information available from A&H as well as the forums of people that work with that mixer. I couldn't find someone that was using it for VDJ. It was all people with TRAKTOR since that's what it's "certified" for.

So.................... I went back, grabbed the Denon 1700 which to be honest was my original choice and it works flawlessly so far with all machines I have and it's actually kind of handy since I have an MC6000 I use as back up and it all uses the same drivers.

BTW... all this being said... this seems to have been an issue with my computer itself. I can't really pinpoint what the problem was and I really have to say that I liked the DB2 ALOT. Not as much as the Denon all things considered..... But it was a fantastic sounding board, very refined controls and the effects were second to none. (Better than the Denon) I just couldn't get around the sound card driver, and also the fact that it has one mic input. I know that might sound like a cop out but that really does bother me. You have a full digital matrix on the board and you can make a bit of room to out a MIC2 jack on it?? Eh.... just saying. I have more good than bad to say about it overall.

Sorry for the long post but i thought I would clarify everything unlike my last post. :-)

geposted Fri 28 Jun 13 @ 8:03 pm
I think you gave up too quickly!

Did you try adjusting the ASIO latency with the A&H? Also there's a known issue with VDJ and audio interfaces that are anything other than 16 bit 44.1kHz. I don't know what settings the A&H defaults to, but that might have had a bearing on it.

There could have been (or even still is) something on the ASUS that's messing with the A&H ASIO driver. That's why I mentioned DPC latency checker.

I know what you mean about the mic section. That was one of the reasons I never changed my Xone:92 for a DB4.

I'm hoping they'll bring something new out in a few months time. A DB92 or DB464 perhaps...

geposted Sat 29 Jun 13 @ 6:43 am
Hey. No I didn't give up too early. I'm extremely aware of all the settings and they were all correct. The Asus is stripped away of bloatware and the fact is that it really should work. I also find it unnerving when the manufacturer states a conflict with windows 8 but I can get it to work. Then with everything they say works and is certified with windows 7 and it doesn't work....... I don't know.

I'm just not in to compromising when I don't have to. The Denon sounds as good and I don't have to compromise on the mic issue. Winner.
Like I said... I liked the Allen and heath and maybe I could have gotten it working with more time and effort. But hey.... All is well.

geposted Sat 29 Jun 13 @ 8:31 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)