Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Which deck is 'Masterdeck' ?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi all

I went to a friend who has a Pro licence (Infinity) of VDJ8.2 (build 3696), so I could determine if the questions I still have about VDJ (I'm still home-testing via the demo version to decide if I migrate from Traktor to VDJ) are not demo-related.
I (we) tried to figure out how I can see which deck is the master deck ?
Manual says;
"Master Deck - The MASTER deck is indicated in orange. If the deck is set to MASTER all decks will sync to it (if SYNC is pressed on the opposing decks). Usually the Master deck is the deck that plays out "live", which in most cases is the playing deck with the higher volume. VirtualDJ uses internal criteria to automatically set the Master Deck each time."
(according to the manual the MASTER-indicator is situated in the Deck Info Display of each deck, underneath the TAP button)
But in the 8.2 (build 3696) version there is no MASTER indicator. So how can you see which deck is set to masterdeck ?

As a workaround, I made a 'custom button' to act as MASTER indicator
(custom button deck A: action = 'Deck 1 Masterdeck'
custom button deck B: action = 'Deck 2 Masterdeck')

But through this I loose 1 of the 3 custom buttons per deck ;-)

Or is the MASTER deck ALWAYS and ONLY the deck that is ON AIR (playing and channel fader open), so indication on the skin is unnecessary ?

And how do I manage to make 'Pitch_Lock' active only on the MASTER deck when slave deck is SYNC'd (+Smart Play) to MASTER deck ? So the pitch slider of the slave deck only follows manipulation of the MASTER deck pitch slider and never the other way around?
This way I can't change pitch slider of slave deck as long as SYNC (+Smart Play) is active on slave deck (just in case I should forget to turn off SYNC when I manipulate pitch slider on slave deck in pfl and thereby change the MASTER deck tempo unwanted).
In other words: keep the slave deck pitch slider locked (unable to manipulate) when slave deck is SYNC'd (+Smart Play) to MASTER deck.

Do I add a command to the action of the custom MASTER button ?
I tried 'Deck 1 Masterdeck & Deck 1 Masterdeck ? Pitch_lock : nothing" but that doesn't seem to work ...
(still trying to understand how commands (verbs ?) work and how to write them ...)

Greetz
Kristof

geposted Sun 21 May 17 @ 11:24 pm
Forgot to mention: MASTER track indicator is not present in the Deck Info Display when in Layout: TWO DECKS (in FOUR DECKS layout the MASTER indicator is indeed present)

geposted Sun 21 May 17 @ 11:44 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There's an option to have masterdeck auto, this will make the masterdeck setting follow the loudest deck, you can also turn this off and then masterdeck is set via selection.

Pitch lock is a per deck selection that has no bearing on masterdeck.

geposted Mon 22 May 17 @ 2:00 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Setting a deck as "Master Deck" is helpful when more than 2 decks are used. When only 2 decks are used, when SYNC is pressed on a deck it will simply sync BPM and phase with the opposite deck. Thats why the 2 decks skin doesnt have any MASTER indicator/button.

As for the pitch lock, from what i read, you probably mean Beat lock (available in the SCRATCH panel). When Beatlock is enabled on a deck, it will always stay synced with the other deck, so you wont be able to change its tempo with its own pitch fader, so you will have to use the pitch fader of the opposite deck.

geposted Mon 22 May 17 @ 11:00 am
Thx Locodog & djdad

OK, so if it's Beat Lock I have to use, it can't be a general (overall) setting/preference, because it can only be active when deck is Master and when SYNC (+Smart Play) is active on the opposite deck. That's why I (think) I need a MASTER indicator, so I can assign the command (Beat Lock it seems) to the 'button', referring to the (MASTER)-state the deck is in.

So actually Beat Lock can only be active on the MASTER deck (locking the opposite pitch slider to the MASTER pitch slider) when opposite deck is in Smart Play mode (so pitch slider can only be manipulated on MASTER deck and opposite deck follows).
When deactivate Smart Play (= assigned to SYNC button on controller in my case) on opposite deck, that deck pitch slider must be adjustable again.

This is something I have to assign (make action/command) to the (custom) button (MASTER indicator)? No?

And if it is, what would the action commands be ? :-)

greetz
Kristof

geposted Mon 22 May 17 @ 4:30 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
No, in a 2 deck skin, beat lock is also per deck and has no bearing on the masterdeck, it just keeps the beatlocked deck's cbg (calculated beat grid) synced to the other deck.
However in setups with more than 2 decks beatlock will sync to masterdeck.

The script to put on a custom button (if you need it) is simply (on each side)

masterdeck

It should light up if the deck is masterdeck and on press will turn chosen deck as master.

geposted Wed 24 May 17 @ 3:34 pm
Still struggling with the pitch lock and master deck.

I tried the beat lock (as suggested), but that is no good for me because I still want to be able to adjust the phase (pitch bend) if a track should be audible out of phase but theoretically be in phase (beatgrid slightly off) and with beatlock that is impossible (which is logical).

So this is what I want to try:
Now, my pitch slider (in controller mapping) is set to 'Pitch' in the action field.
Can I add conditions to that ? Meaning: I want to add following conditions:
Pitch & (first addition) Deck 1 masterdeck ? Deck 2 smart_play ? pitch_lock : no pitch_lock AND (second addition) Deck 2 masterdeck ? Deck 1 smart_play ? pitch_lock : no pitch_lock

I want to try if this wouldn't get me to my wanted result considering masterdeck and pitch slider behavior.

But I don't know how the syntax/verb should look like for these actions to be executed by VDJ.

Help ?

Kristof

geposted Thu 25 May 17 @ 9:42 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)