Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Less Virtual, More DJ - Page: 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

bagpuss wrote :

SOME users may enjoy playing without mixing aids

Yes, I do - because that's the way I started out. On vinyl. No pitch controls on the decks, no EQ on the mixer. Bare minimum.

I can still play that way now, with VDJ 8.2 and a fully featured "flagship" controller. The skin is irrelevant. So are the knobs and buttons on the controller. I just use what I need, regardless of what's on the skin or the controller.

geposted Mon 11 Dec 17 @ 10:20 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
And as said before, if you don't want to see these things, use a skin that doesn't show them.
I don't see the purpose of having an option that might be useful for a handful of people in the default skin.

You say these people would move to another platform, but I wonder which then.
Vdj is the only one that does allow this kind of customization.
I don't think you can turn off the bpm display on pioneer cdj's even.

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 4:49 am
anok4u2PRO InfinityMember since 2011

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 11:42 am
Personally I have been working as a DJ for 32 years. I've been through it all ..... vinyl, compact cassette, DAT, MiniDisc, CD and others I can't even remember.

The whole "retro" thing is cool right now, my town is full of hipsters spinning timecode on 1210s because it's funky or something like that.

Currently I work 4 to 5 nights a week, two of them in the busiest late night bar playing chart & RnB to an 18 to 25 crowd. Being old doesn't stop you moving with the times.

To all those who spin vinyl, hate the sync button etc ..... do you rub sticks together to light a fire and ride a horse to work ..... the world has moved on and people have central heating and a car. I use the waveforms and sync button because they are there. Why would I inconvenience myself and slow down my work flow by blocking them? I just don't get it.

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 12:01 pm
+1 Kradcliffe...

mind you going to work on a horse was scuppered for me after I filled it with diesel and had to call the AA out..........

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 5:33 pm
Ok so quit being a dick and let the man have his opinion.....

You like to mix with a computer, ok move on. Nothing you’ve said is gonna Change his mind so let it go already.

Quit trying to bash the man because you can’t or won’t understand his way of thinking.

This isn’t at you Keith, it’s for Micky

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 6:49 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Don't worry about the insecurities of inferior men, they're not fit to be anyone's judge.

I'm not judging anyone for using the technology that I use myself, but a whole load of shit has been said for daring to ask for an option. Insecure much?

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 7:23 pm
Adion wrote :
And as said before, if you don't want to see these things, use a skin that doesn't show them.
I don't see the purpose of having an option that might be useful for a handful of people in the default skin.

VDJ boasts of the number of users it has, yet you're sure that only a "handful of people" would find this useful? Out of millions of users, only a handful would want to sharpen their beatmixing skills? Or perform without waveforms for reasons of space or to simply show off when the "I'm a DJ too club" decide to stand behind them.

Even if it's only 3-6% of users who play with these options, that's a hell of a lot of people, for something that wouldn't take long to implement.

When a large number of users are dreaming of playing on a nexus setup in a big club one day, they'll want to sharpen their skills if they intend on playing off sticks. Much is said about aspiring club DJs, who need a ladder to learn how to use club standard gear (Pioneer CDJs), without actually having the players to practice on, usually these salesmen who've got your back (youtubers and DJ blogs) try to sell you a controller that has a similar layout, but it's a bit misleading if the DJ is dependent on dual/overlapping waveforms and other automation that simply isn't present on CDJs/DJMs.

The best thing any aspiring club DJ could do, is nail beatmixing on anything that has platters, a pitch fader and transport controls, the skill of beatmixing, once learned can be transferred quite easily between controllers and CDJs. This way when waveforms aren't the same, or aren't accurate the DJ is still within their comfort zone.

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 11:20 pm
"club standard gear"
not too get too far off track with this but...
i'm really learning to loathe that phrase.
especially since very club around here that has had any longevity is using virtualdj (we set the standard here and they all try to emulate us)
a recent attempt at a venue opened up and they were using "gear that starts with "S"

they were open a grand total of 2 nights.

they put "S" gear and "P" gear in their booth...and we blew them out of the water before they could even start even tho they and their 'customer base' made a lot of noise about emptying our dancefloor on social media.

back on track.
a 'chopped down' version of the software. i think my final opinion on it is

'meh'

geposted Tue 12 Dec 17 @ 11:54 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :

a 'chopped down' version of the software. i think my final opinion on it is

'meh'

That's not the proposition though, the request is in regards to the option to disable the waveform and BPM displays on the official skin, not to write these things out of the programming, that would be ridiculous at this point.

geposted Wed 13 Dec 17 @ 12:23 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Ellaskins did a recent YouTube video tutorial on back to basics..with his Pioneer equipment, which I believe they gave him under the understanding he uses it for his work.

Hm.. so maybe we have on the fly remixing and video going mainstream everywhere and Pioneer behind a retro push for back to basics to maintain the status of their almost obsolete cdj's?

I just about remember the big karaoke laser discs and the expensive oversized Pioneer players which where left for dead by cd+g. Things are changing ..

geposted Wed 13 Dec 17 @ 6:34 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)