Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: search trouble - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

I've been searching for an answer on the forum but only found similar issues concerning VDJ 7.

I am using a Windows 10 laptop and VDJ 8. Both are up to date. I have the basics done (all folders with music are favorite, recursed and added to the search database) and even the tweaks (all VDJ folders and music folders have been added to ownership).

Search works fine until I close VDJ and open it up again. Then all search "settings" are lost and search cannot find a single song...

Is there anything else that needs to be done to get search to remember the music files?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 9:19 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Can you locate the database of a song that you are missing in the search and open it with an editor?
So if the song is on D: go to D:\VirtualDJ\database.xml and open it with an editor.

Now do a search inside the DB for the song you are missing. And if it you can find it, it would be interesting what the "Flag"-Tags values are.

The above gives you 2 possible solutions:

1. If you can not find the song inside the DB, VDJ probably can not write to the database.
2. If you can find the song, the flag value will show you if the song is "in the search db" or not.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 9:26 am
Thanks for helping, PatchN
:)

All songs are present in the database and all songs have the Flag set to 1.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 10:18 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
So, does the value change if you add/ remove the song from search db?

What about the fields VDJ should search in? You can change them by clicking on the small dot next to the search box. Do they get saved if you change them and reopen VDJ?

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 10:22 am
I only get an option to add, but not to remove, from the database, when right-clicking a song. Do you want me to manually remove the song from the database file?

VDJ remembers any changes made in the search fields.

I don't know if this helps any, but when I see the songs in the browser, as soon as I type in one single letter in the search box, no more songs are displayed...

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 10:59 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
What fields are marked/enabled in the Search Options

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 11:35 am
Hi Babis :) Thank you for joining my thread.

I have marked:

- search in current folder
- search all local files
- title
- artist
- genre
- year

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 11:39 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
dbFlag 1 means 'hidden from search'
So you have to re-add the files to the search database.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 12:53 pm
Hello Adion.
I don't have any dbFlag entries. Only two Flag entries. The first one in the Song line with a value of 65, the second one in the Tags line with a value of 1. Should I also have dbFlag entries?

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 1:13 pm
The flag in song should be the one I meant.
65 would indicate video file and hidden from search, so the conclusion is the same, the files had been removed from the search database, and need to be added again. (right-click a folder, batch add to search db)

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 1:21 pm
Then we're back at square one: I add to search database, all song are found, I restart the program, no songs are found.

I checked: as soon as I add my music folders to the database, the 65 is changed to 64. When I close VDJ, it is still 64. But when I open VDJ again, it is 65 again...

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 1:30 pm
Open settings and check "readOnly" setting.
Any chance it's set to "yes" ?

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 1:46 pm
readOnly is set to "no".

Thanks, Phantom.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 4:37 pm
Multiple hard drives with the same files in the database.xml maybe?

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 4:47 pm
Nope. Only one drive (D:\) with music and one (C:\) with Windows and programs.

When I moved from a PC to a laptop, I started out with a new (blank) database and added song infos manually.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 5:12 pm
In that case there should be one database on the c in Documents\VirtualDJ\database.xml and another one in d:\virtualdj\database.xml
If you don't have any music on the c drive, you could try renaming that one.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 5:16 pm
Correct. The C:\ database is "empty" except for two lines (version, encoding, etc), the D:\ database has all the songs.
I renamed the C:\ database. Same thing: no songs pop up when I enter a letter in the search box, after adding all folders to the database and restarting VDJ.
Curiously, VDJ did not create a new database file after renaming the old one to .bak.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 5:27 pm
But after adding all the files and closing vdj, when you open the database files all flags are 64?

Any VDJ 7 database on the drive as well?

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 6:08 pm
Yes to the first, no to the second question.

It seems VDJ resets the flags when starting up.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 6:22 pm
And although I'm using VDJ 8.2, the database file in the program folder says its version is 8.0.0...
Maybe this is irrelevant, but just in case I thought I might mention it.

Is there a setting (that I can change) that tells VDJ to reset the search database at startup?

geposted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 8:46 pm
42%