Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Need Help With Audio Settings Please
Hi,

I have purchased a licence for My DDJ-200 controller, but I cannot get the audio for my headphones to work correctly.

Can someone please help me understand what settings to change too - perhaps I need to buy a sound card?

Running DDJ 200 on Windows 10.
I simply plugged the one cable into the controller and changed the master settings in audio to speakers - which is fine.

My issue is I cannot move freely between channel 1 and 2 for headphones.
Really, the only audio I can get through the headphones is the channel that I have playing (not the channel I am looking to fade in

geposted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 11:40 pm

geposted Fri 18 Mar 22 @ 12:10 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
DDJ-200 doesn't offer a dedicated sound interface.
This means that you will have to use a separate "or second" soundcard if you want to be able to use headphones with it.

You can take a brief look here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/settings/audiosetup.html

Hello mate,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

All of this looks like double Dutch to me :)
Do you recommend any particular card?

I currently just play at home, but would like to eventually pick up a few gigs in local bars

geposted Fri 18 Mar 22 @ 12:37 am
Any sound card that has the output you need will do.

You could even use the PC onboard sound card for headphones and a small usb dongle soundcard for speakers. But more ideal that both speakers and headphones are on same sound card (less chance differences in delays between the two outputs). Can find this as simple usb dongles as well.

Since you say possible doing a few gigs, for more "high end" dj cards look here:
https://virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html?category=soundcard
Numark DJ IO is a budget one that is popular for example

geposted Mon 21 Mar 22 @ 12:18 pm
Rune (DJ-In-Norway) wrote :
Any sound card that has the output you need will do.

You could even use the PC onboard sound card for headphones and a small usb dongle soundcard for speakers. But more ideal that both speakers and headphones are on same sound card (less chance differences in delays between the two outputs). Can find this as simple usb dongles as well.

Since you say possible doing a few gigs, for more "high end" dj cards look here:
https://virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html?category=soundcard
Numark DJ IO is a budget one that is popular for example

Cheers buddy, thanks for the info!

geposted Thu 24 Mar 22 @ 6:55 pm
Another option is a cable splitter, that uses the left output channel of your built-in soundcard for speakers and the right channel for headphones. Because there are only two output channels (left+right) in common built-in soundcards, both speaker and headphone outputs will be mono (monaural). Such setup is definitely not suitable for gigs, but it is a great option when portability is a factor.

I would anyway not recommend using DDJ-200 for any professional (= paid) gigs. But it is a great controller to practice and also to travel with. For these purposes, the splitter cable could be sufficient or even preferred as in portable setups you are often trying to limit the power consumption. USB soundcards consume anything between 2 - 15 watts, which reduces your laptop battery life.
More info about the cable.

You will need to map the audio interface in CDJ accordingly, but that is easy and intuitive.

One more tip - check if your built-in soundcard provides 5.1 or even 7.1 channels support. It is not so rare on desktop gaming PCs (I haven't seen any on laptops) and you could map 6 or 8 channels in such case - sufficient for main output L+R, booth output L+R and headphones L+R. Still, it is not recommended to plug such an output of a built-in soundcard into PA speakers and expect acceptable sound quality, but maybe you have a free (in terms of costs) option already available. Also, you will need to experiment a little with cables. Usually, there is a couple of 3.5" jack splitter cables supplied with the PC if the soundcard is capable of 5.1 or 7.1.

geposted Sun 27 Mar 22 @ 10:25 pm

geposted Fri 21 Oct 22 @ 10:09 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
yeah that'll do the output to an amplifier and you can use your machine's sound card for headphone monitoring

geposted Sat 22 Oct 22 @ 10:03 am
locodog wrote :
yeah that'll do the output to an amplifier and you can use your machine's sound card for headphone monitoring

I won't need an amp if I am just playing at home on my PC, right?
For now I just want to get my home set-up right

geposted Sat 22 Oct 22 @ 2:33 pm
you'll need an amp in some form [home stereo with line in etc] I suppose you could output the music with laptop speakers, and monitor with the little mixer

geposted Sat 22 Oct 22 @ 3:03 pm
locodog wrote :
you'll need an amp in some form [home stereo with line in etc] I suppose you could output the music with laptop speakers, and monitor with the little mixer

Cheers.
Out of interest, do you recommend a cheaper item to the one I posted the link of?
I just want to play at home, using the speakers plugged into my PC

Thanks for the help by the way!

geposted Sat 22 Oct 22 @ 4:44 pm
I don't know the brand, it's a bit of a lottery, stuff breaks when you start taking it out. A more expensive, known brand, you have recourse if it breaks too easy, an amazon sale who knows.
And the truth is what passes for mixing at home might sound bad plugged into a public sound rig. But sometimes there are gems that are really good for a medium cost.

You could go a lot cheaper, [like a tenner], it'll do for home, it might not last long, but it's a tenner.

Stuff like this I like to buy in person, it costs a bit more but you'll be talking to somebody who knows their stuff, plus in person sales are easier if you get a dud unit. [plus in person you get to prod and poke at all the display models]

geposted Sat 22 Oct 22 @ 5:19 pm
Fair point.
I'll have a look around to see if anything tickles my fancy.

Thanks for the help

geposted Sat 22 Oct 22 @ 5:31 pm