Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Comment field in HEVC MP4
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi
I've been updating my Virtual DJ Database & have noticed that Virtual DJ doesn't seem to be updating the 'Comment' field in files encoded using HEVC.
To be clear, if I use the Virtual DJ Tag Editor to edit or erase the 'Comment' field, it is updated in the Virtual DJ Database but it doesn't update the actual MP4 file 'comment' tag.
Setting 'setTagsAuto' is set to 'on' & if I edit an mp3 file or any mp4 files encoded using h264 then the field in updated in the file as expected, it's just HEVC files that seem to be the problem altho I haven't tried other file types.

geposted Mon 19 Dec 22 @ 10:20 pm
djkrysr wrote :
Hi
I've been updating my Virtual DJ Database & have noticed that Virtual DJ doesn't seem to be updating the 'Comment' field in files encoded using HEVC.
To be clear, if I use the Virtual DJ Tag Editor to edit or erase the 'Comment' field, it is updated in the Virtual DJ Database but it doesn't update the actual MP4 file 'comment' tag.
Setting 'setTagsAuto' is set to 'on' & if I edit an mp3 file or any mp4 files encoded using h264 then the field in updated in the file as expected, it's just HEVC files that seem to be the problem altho I haven't tried other file types.

EDIT: I don't think that any fields in HEVC encoded files are being written back to the file.

geposted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 1:00 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Which container/extension do you use? Normally hevc is stored in mp4 as well so that should work fine

geposted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 6:38 am
They are all .mp4 files, however having come home & started to play, the problem isn't just HEVC.
Virtual DJ is behaving in a totally random manner, sometimes it writes the tag, sometimes it doesn't.
If I set 'setTagsAuto' to off then press the 'write tag' button, sometimes you can see the tag has been written (the info underneath changes) but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will change the first time I edit a tag, then stop for all subsequent edits. If I make a big change to tag (ie put "------------------------------------------" into a field then hit write, it will write it, then when I remove that from the field, it won't write it.
The only common factor seems to be I have edited the "Comment" field in Virtual DJ.

I cannot change the values of the "Comment" or "Album" fields in the mp4 file itself using Virtual DJ, having previously changed them in the program to test. The 'Write Tag' button does not write the tag.

geposted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 2:07 pm
I should point out that i recently ran a script in Virtual DJ that copied the 'comment' tag to the 'remix' tag so that I was using fields correctly now that Virtual DJ has a 'remix' field (I've been putting it off for ages). The setting 'setTagsAuto' was set to 'on' so every file was updated on my system as i went through my files directory by directory.
I have in the past experienced a very occasional problem when editing a tag in Virtual DJ, that does something when writing the tag that then prevents Virtual DJ from reading and/or writing any changes to the actual file on subsequent attempts, to solve this problem I usually have to go into my external tag editing software & resave the tag. I did report the problem at the time but had no response & haven't noticed it in ages though so thought it was a fixed.
Scanning my files with TagScanner I can see inconsistencies between what Virtual DJ is saying & what is in the .mp4 file itself. Some of these files can no longer be edited in Virtual DJ altho some are newish files that I have definitely edited using Virtual DJ successfully recently.

geposted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 3:41 pm