Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hercules DJ Console + Virtual DJ: first impressions

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Finally got my Hercules DJ Console yesterday, and spent the whole evening on it. Overall, it was great, just about what I was expecting for this kind of price (250E on www.fnac.fr, andapparently they're going really fast!).

It came in a nice box, well packaged. Looked pretty tough before I opened the hard-clear-plastic wrapping, I even though it was going to be aluminium and built like 1200s :) but it wasn't, it is silver colored plastic, and rubber-looking plastic around it. No big deal, it's a consumer product and should be evaluated as such.

Hardware installation was a breeze (Notebook with P3 850Mhz Windows, 256 Mb RAM running W2K Pro). Software installation too, with one caveat: I had downloaded Virtual DJ demo last week to prepare tracks so I could have fun right away, but installing Virtual DJ Console edition over it just wiped the VDJ binary database away, grrr! I figure it's probably because the VDJ Hercule edition is an older version than the demo version I downloaded last week, and the database has evolved (why doesn't VDJ use an xml format like Traktor?!? it's so freakin convenient).
So, after analysing a few tracks again, I was up and running. No documentation whatsoever about the interaction between the console and VDJ, nothing! but it was pretty straightforward, and I was mixing in two minutes (thanks to my previous knowledge of VDJ demo).

The console behaved perfectly, the VDJ software a little less: tweaking the EQ knobs like a madman brought my notebook to its knees, and Windows task manager quickly showed that VDJ was using approx. 250Mb of VM space. So swapping was necessary and performance sucked. Today I ordered a RAM upgrade to bring my PC to 512mb :) Until I get it, I'll just deal with the occasional lag (I tried to set the VDJ limit on pre-load at 5 min, but that lead to weird product behavior).

The DJ Console's interaction with VDJ is barely configurable, only two settings are customizable in VDJ's preference panel:
- the joystick behavior: it can be used either to scratch, or to select songs in the playlist (default). In this last mode, clicking on the right button under it loads the selected track on the right deck, clicking left on the left. Pretty convenient but in directory browsing mode, I was unable to change directory and come back to the track panel without using the mouse (it's probably possible, but remember none of this is documented, and I was in a playfull mood, so I'll research this stuff later). The scratch mode seemed to scratch, but to me scratching an MP3 is kinda like trying to make french fries in a microwave, not my cup of tea.
- the vertical pitch control / volume knob behavior: you can toggle their mode, and it's great thinking there. Indeed if you feel like beat-matching yourself like on a good old 1200, you'd select the vertical slider to be pitch controls, just like on the turntable, and the volume knob to be a volume control. However if you mainly use VDJ's magic beatmatch, you can invert those functions and use the vertical slider to control volume (like on a normal dj mixer), and sometimes use the volume knob to tweak the pitch/tempo. Both modes worked great, it's just a question of taste after that.

The big answer to the big question: NO, you cannot use the jog wheel to scratch in VDJ! I personally don't give a damn, but it seems weird that this wouldn't be configurable (and I bet this will turned down a lot of potential buyers). Those jog wheels do a great job at queuing precisely though when the track is not playing, or at bending pitch when the track is playing. I would however caution users to be gentle with them, they don't seem to sturdy (and one user on the french forum already broke one!). So use them to cue gently and everything will be great.

Sound quality seems just fine, although the output level is a bit low (you'll have to cranck your amp a bit). The LEDs a freaking bright as hell in low-light conditions. I suspect the designers had deskchair DJs in mind, because if like me you have to stand while spinning, the cue led will blind you! they should have channeled that power (coming from the USB port) onto the main audio output instead :)

The EQ knobs work great, just like on a standard mixer. Response-time is immediate (but again, have a powerful computer for consistent results).

The multi-mode 1-2-3 buttons with the little arrow button next to tehm to switch their functionality work fine too, but that's where customization would have been great (and I hope it'll be available in a future VDJ product release). Again, none of this is documented, but here's what I figured out:
- in CUE mode, hitting on 1-2-3 either sets or goes to cue point 1-2-3. If the track is playing, pressing 1 goes to cue point 1 and stops the track (hopefully for you that was not the main track at that time and you were just cueing it in your headphones). If the track is stopped, then pressing 1 sets the cue point 1 where the track is stopped. I'd love to be able to disbale this "set" mode, since it can be destructive of your efforts spent setting cue points in your library (effort done once and for all, once per track: you analyse, you correct BPM/phase as necessary, you set cue points, this gets saved in your database and you should never have to deal with this shit again). But here, it's easy to just overwrite your cue points unvoluntarily.
- in Fx mode, it's just fine. It toggles the associated effect (1, 2, or 3) on and off
- In Loop mode, it activates 1-beat loop (button 1), 2-beat loop (button 2), and 4-beat loop (button 3). I'd like to be able to configure it to 1-beat loop, 4-beat loop, and 8-beat loop instead. Personal preference, no big deal

The cross fader is fine, and little too loose for my taste but some like it better like that. I prefer the tighter feel of the vertical faders.

That's pretty much it. I had a great few hours spinning house and techno with as much fun as I have on the 1200s and a mixing board, and although it doesn't have the tactile feel and the old-school elegance of the real thing, it's a lot of fun for a little bedroom-dj fun. Moreover, it gives me great hopes for the future, the possibilities seem endless and this is just getting started. Beeing a vinyl-manipulator for a decade, rave/club-dj turned bedroom-dj, this is my first foray into the digital world and I'm charmed. So is my wife, who can now foresee a future where my hobby might not require 150 square feet of valuable house space and tangles of wires. Yes, for some of us the Wife Acceptance Factor does count :)

I hope this was constructive enough, and be assure that the few quirks I talked about pale in comparison to the fun that can be had, especially for such a reasonable price. A big "bravo" to engineers at Guillemot/Hercules and at Atomix for delivering so much originality, and I really think that for such early releases of both products (the console and the VDJ software), the whole thing is pretty stable, so kudos to the QA teams too!

Nicolas

geposted Thu 20 Nov 03 @ 2:58 pm
thank you, thank you, thank you!

I envy you in reviewing this product

I am in a holding pattern until such someone tests this with the "other" bunded software to prove it is not the hardware (meaning it can be fixed with software). please try out the "other" bundled software to see if it is Software or hardware related.

WirelessDJ

geposted Thu 20 Nov 03 @ 3:08 pm
Hello, I'm a professional dj in Belgium spinning in lots of clubs. Since a couple of weeks I was asked to play at Zillion (zillion.be) and 3D69 (3d69.be).
I was asked to learn BPMStudio, which was quit easy to deal with. I have already done several gigs with this program and the controller delivered with it. It seems alot like mixing with CD's. Only downside: sometimes the BPM is loosing it's grip.

Because of this I was contacted by the company Hercules. They knew that I was a dj with skills in BPMStudio. So they asked me to try their DJ Console.

I must admit that I was impressed by the nifty little box. Lots of buttons with lots of functions. My verdict is easy: this is great stuff for amateur dj's or bedroom dj's.
I have two downsides:
- the software (Virtual DJ) has the same problem as BPMStudio (loosing grip at some songs).
- the buttons are not configurable enough

But like I said before, for home mixing or small clubs this will be great. I told the people of Hercules that I will do a party in a club (Atmoz or Boccaccio or so) with this little box, and they are invited to see me mix with it.

I do hope that there comes an update of the software soon.
I also have a question: how do I download the effects? I have to register, but since there is only a special version of Virtual DJ included with the Hercules box, there is no serial number (that I'm aware of though).

Greetz & beatz, dj Elof (www.djelof.be)

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 12:00 am
So... the question people are going to want to know an answer to soon is this: who should we contact for new ideas or ideas for change regarding how the buttons map out (such as the effects) on the Hercules controller, and how they work to function within VDJ? Hercules or VDJ?

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 12:34 am
djelof

were you using bpm studio with the hercules DJ console or Virtual DJ?

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 12:46 am
as a followup (after a second night on the console):

last night, the VDJ Software behaved without any problem on my weak notebook, after I applied a few hints I got of the Tech Support forum: I stopped a bunch of useless W2K services (the likes of print spooling, etc. I'll just reactivate them as/if needed), and I disabled time-stretching in VDJ.

Still, 256Mb RAM is not theorically enough since there is occasional swapping, but its usable...

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 11:26 am
djbambi have you tried the other bundled software to see how it works?

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 1:10 pm
No I haven't, and I don't really plan to for awhile, since I have the fun I expected with VDJ and not much time to start learning new ones. Disk space is an issue too, and some of the other software require 500 Mb. Right now, I'd rather keep my notebook as lean and clean as possible for VDJ :)

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 2:35 pm
but you are missing the point here.

1. If the other DJ software works, then the problem is software related and can be fixed. I might buy the controller.
2. If the other dj software has problems as well, then the problem is hardware and I would be weary of buying the controller.

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 5:59 pm
I used the Hercules DJ Console with the delivere software like Virtual DJ. The other software like Arturia Storm DJ and GMIXON are not so good as Virtual DJ.

I tried to connect BPMStudio with the little box, but so far I did not succeed in it. I will try it later next week.

Tonight I'm going to do a mix set with the DJ Console. I hope that Virtual DJ behaves. I have big problems with some songs, like for instance Ferry Corsten - Rock your body, rock. It won't work with the auto BPM. Too bad...

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 9:01 pm
Can the Hercules DJ Console be update with firmware this could help with new software updates?

geposted Fri 21 Nov 03 @ 9:22 pm
the hercules dj console is bundled with multiple dj programs. can someone please give them a try and let us know the how they work? do they have the same issues?

there is no doubt that virtual DJ is WAY better than any other programs included with the controller -- I would just like to know if the controller is flawed or there some work we need to do with virtual dj software supporting this controller.

If you don't feel comfortable posting it here, please email me wirelessdj@comcast.net

I am trying to decide if I should get one but I need an honest, accurate information

thank you
WirelessDJ

geposted Sat 22 Nov 03 @ 1:38 am
After 5 days of trying with this box, I got it. I am able to produce fine mixes without any problems. Although I still want to see the engine upgraded. Some music is not BPM'ed correctly. I do hope this gets fixed soon!

/off topic

If you want to hear me do a set with this nifty piece of equipment. The first friday of December I will air from 00.00h - 02.00h central european time on TopRadio. If you are not in Belgium, you can listen thrue the web www.topradio.be - click on the stream button.

geposted Mon 24 Nov 03 @ 8:35 pm
how many dj software dose the hercules controller use ? has any one use it with BPM PRO ? there is a store in new york city that has it I will go down there and take a look at it,I'll like to know why they did not make it rack mont.

geposted Fri 28 Nov 03 @ 7:00 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That's a good question... it'd be awesome if it was standard 19" rack mountable!
may have to design a special shelf or rack for it.

geposted Fri 28 Nov 03 @ 7:03 pm
a 19" rack mount version would make it a professional product, this might not be the targeted customer base.

but for sure they could offer a special-dj console rack drawer as an option, that would be pretty cool: the amp and the console in the rack, the notebook above. tight little package :)

geposted Mon 01 Dec 03 @ 5:54 pm
Are the Cdj1000 Rackable ?

geposted Mon 01 Dec 03 @ 7:43 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
personally I'd probably perfer the 2 xp-10's in a 19" rack configuration....

geposted Mon 01 Dec 03 @ 8:28 pm
Hey guyz i need help in how to use my cross fader, i cant use it in VDJ, and also the right level button is always shaking and why is dis?

geposted Wed 03 Dec 03 @ 1:10 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)