Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best OS for this cool progie

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi Guys, in your opinion, what is the best Operating System for Atomix. I used to use Windows 98, then it crashed, I'm now using Windows Milenium ME.

So lets hear it!

geposted Sun 16 Sep 01 @ 6:06 pm
I used WinMe for a long time and liked it, however, it lacked stability. I have just finished installing and am now using Win2000. As far as stability goes, 2000 is a good choice. You will need a beefy computer to run it on, otherwise it will be painfully slow. I recommend a 1Ghz CPU and 256Mb of RAM at least.

Only problem I have with Win2000 is the fact that it detests my soundcard, a SoundBlaster PCI128. It used to crash all the time when it loaded unless I kept on deleting the soundcard driver, but with SP2 edition of 2000, it no longer crashes, I just get squeaks and howling out of the speakers instead of proper sounds. I have tried all newest Win2000 drivers, from SB website, etc. but nothing has worked. Neither Microdosh or Creative been able or at least willing to help...

geposted Sun 16 Sep 01 @ 9:06 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I use it on a PIII@500 with 256MB RAM and a SB Live card running Win2000 and it all works great! No probs with stability or drivers if you install the drivers without the liveware.

mama

geposted Mon 17 Sep 01 @ 8:14 am
I have the exact specs as Mama above and also have no problems. Very Stable.

Miguel Sanchez

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 2:24 am
Can anybody help with my soundcard problem? I have found out that my PCI128 is not actually a PCI128, as that soundcard has 4 speaker outputs. Mine, although package as a PCI128 is know as a Vibra 128, hence the problems with Win2000 drivers (?). I downloaded the win2000 vibra drivers from creative's website, but I still only have squealing distortion instead of sound. Any ideas? It all worked fine under winme with standard PCI128 drivers...

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 8:30 am
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Be sure to install the good drivers !

Winme and Win2k are totally different. Winme can accept a lot of bad drivers, but Win2k works only with specific drivers. So check the drivers you downloaded are the good win2k drivers for your sund card.

Hope that helps...

- Dams -

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 8:56 am
They are the correct drivers (all specify they are for Win2000). I have tried drivers for PCI128 and then I tried drivers for the Vibra128. Thing is, whenever I ran the setup program for these drivers, they would install and I'd have to restart, but when I looked in system properties, the old default windows driver was still there with no sign of the one I had just put on. If I tried to get around this by deleting the default driver and then running the downloaded driver's setup program, Winbdows would cut in half way through the installation with it's 'New Hardware Found' box, and then it would proceed to say it was installing drivers for the new hardware it had found. It then put on it's own default drivers again. The downloaded drivers had lost out to the power of windoze.

The only time I actually managed to install one of the drivers and have the new driver appear in system properties, was when I installed the Vibra128 driver from the American Creative site. This driver package seemed to be different to the European Creative sites Vibra128 one. It had different files and was a different size. Both however said they were for the Vibra128 CT4810 (my card). This is the driver I now have installed and it does not work...Maybe I need to install the European sites Vibra128 driver, but how can I do that when it will not seem to overwrite the existing driver, and deleting the existing one seems to cause windows to interrupt the setup program and install it's default PCI128 driver which will not work???

Creative have not replied to my email asking them the same questions as above.

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 1:49 pm
It sounds, like you have a SoundOnBoard (SoB), too. Then if you install your drivers, W2k sets the SoB as its default.

Go to the BIOS and disable the SoB, then uninstall the old drivers and reinstall the new ones.

mama

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 6:35 pm
I do have sound on board and it is enabled, but it is on auto, so it should be off if it detects a soundcard is in the computer. I will try what you suggest anyway. Thanks.

Just found out why it sounds the way it does. If I open any tune player such as winamp or atomix - i will talk about atomix as you can see the display which helps, when i play a tune it comes through as squealing. Looking at the atomix display, i see that the song is playing at a hell of a speed. The tune is shooting through the display, on winamp, you have only the time as a guide, this is shooting along at about 15 secs for every one 'real' second. This is why the sound coming out is just a squeal. Why on earth is it playing all sounds at such a high speed? This happens with any driver i install for the soundcard...

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 7:30 pm
Forgot to say that I had this same problem when I installed win2000 on my old setup (different motherboard and CPU), which had NO onboard sound. In the end I could not resolve it, so I reinstalled winme. Now I have a new faster CPU and motherboard, I want to continue using win2000 without having to buy a new soundcard...

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 7:53 pm
I suppose you followed the complete instructions, including the following:

This release requires the following files to be downloaded and placed into the same directory before installing the Creative Audio Card Setup:

Creative Mixer 6.04.00 (906,973 bytes)
Creative Recorder 1.04.03 (2,614,085 bytes)
Creative Playcenter 1.55.06 and Creative News 2.50.10 (3,774,332 bytes)
Creative Installer 1.00.06 and setup files (6,371,790 bytes)

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 9:19 pm
And don´t forget DirectX 8a. It´s really important with Win2000 or XP!

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 10:11 pm
Yep, downloaded all the specified files. I also have Directx 8...

geposted Tue 18 Sep 01 @ 11:19 pm
I have finally found the problem. Creative decided to eventually get back to me, it turns out that they do not offer drivers for soundblaster pci128 cards with certain chipset numbers. Guess what, my number is one of them. That's bloody good isn't it. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CREATIVE IS MY ADVICE. They do not support half of THEIR OWN soundcards. I have been told to contact my PC manufacturer for the necessary drivers...That's going to be difficult, since I built the PC myself with hardware purchased from various computer shops.

Can anyone recommend a very good soundcard that is not from Creative?

geposted Thu 20 Sep 01 @ 2:21 pm
santa cruz turtle beach DSP sound card should work...

geposted Sat 22 Sep 01 @ 1:17 am
I have a p2 450 mhz with 256 ram win2k...(os is the best ive had)

and the prog works nice...the problems must be in the coms config...cause sometimes progs just dont like eachother...usng the same files and so on...that might e one thing...but i hardly think anyone will uninstall every prog they got and then install it back on...waste of time...

it seems like u just have to wait for the new version :)

geposted Tue 25 Sep 01 @ 2:28 am
forgot to mention ...i use 2 soundcards...without any problems...and i have a external mixer...which is great...since u then get full control of everything on both cards...its just too sweet...

geposted Tue 25 Sep 01 @ 2:30 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)