Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: WMA Files

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I cannot believe how small a wma file can be as opposed to mp3 and still retain the same sound quality. Example 4mb file was reduced to 1.8 Honestly thinking of changing all my files to wma, save size and memory opening these large files. What are your suggestions ?

geposted Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 4:41 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If sound quality is important to you, I would reconsider that idea. .WMA files can be much smaller at the same bitrate, but they introduce many artifacts and some distortion, not to mention bigger loss of higher frequencies. As outdated as MP3 format is, it's still one of the best (if encoded properly) sound compression formats available.

geposted Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 6:49 pm
What about OGG? Is it any good?

geposted Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 7:20 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I personally have't used OGG compression, but from what I've read it's very comparible in sound quality to MP3. It's probably not worth going through trouble converting to OGG format and having less support by audio players. MP3, if encoded correctly using LAME codec with proper settings at 192kbps or higher can be allmost indistiguishable from the original source.

geposted Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 9:01 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Thanks for the tip abnorm, I haven't changed many just did some tests but man those files are small. And when the files are small like that Atomix lags less on my laptop.

geposted Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 9:20 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)