Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mackie Firewire Eliminates Need For Sound Card

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I am a new Virtual DJ user and continue to be amazed by features. I was getting ready to buy a better sound card than the one that came onboard my Dell and accidently discovered that I didn't need one.

I have a Mackie Onyx 1220 mixing board ($450) with a firewire interface ($325) that I use to record whatever I want from my mixer into my computer. I run Tracktion 2 Software (free w the firewire card or $170 standalone) to record but I discovered that I could also use it for a live show and use all the Tracktion 2 plugins (compression/EQ/reverb/delay on vocals, compression/mastering/EQ on the main outs, etc...) to turn my analog mixer into a digital/analog hybrid--eliminating the need for any outboard effects processors.

Well I was selecting the sound card setting for Virtual DJ and I saw that the Onyx Firewire Interface was listed so I selected it and immediately my speakers lit up with incredible sound. No soundcard used at all since I hadn't plugged it in yet.

I couldn't believe it!

The only downside is that because I'm not running Virtual DJ into a channel on my board, it doesn't go through Traction 2 first so I can't run the Virtual DJ audio through my Traction 2 plugins (I would mainly want to use the Traction 2 compressor to add some thump.) But still it is killer sound and saves buying a good soundcard. I can still use Traction 2 to effect vocals for karaoke singers and that is the most important thing to me--to be able to make a singer shine.

geposted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 8:30 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)