Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: TCV options

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
there dont seem to be many options on how the TCVs opperate. i dont seem to be able to achieve waht i want. i want to be able to controll the software with simply the decks and mixer. i dont like having to reach for the mouse to press play or reset the song progress because i cant turn the sodding needle drop off and it jumps to a point half way through the song. personaly i dont use nedle drop, if im going to search for a section of song i find it a million times easier to use the progress display than pick up the head, place it carefuly back approximately where it sould be and waiting for vdj to pick up a position time code and jump to where it should be. besides isnt that what cue points are for.

so far we have an options for

anti-skip (cant tell the difference, it seems to skip the same ammount on and off)
invert phase (makes it go backwards, who wires up their carts backwards?)
invert stereo (does the same but switches L and R)

can we not have more options than this like

nedle drop on and off

skipless play (when you pick up the cart (or if it skips) it just keeps going without stoping, or jumping to the new song position because of the stupid needle drop (incase thats not clear im talking about the way it works in FS)

full deck control, if the TCV is spinning then the song should be playing, what is the point of having tcv if you have to use the mouse to press a stuipd little button on a screen to turn it on. it would be great if with this option enabled the decks turned even with no song loaded and the second a song is loaded, if the deck is spinning the song will start playing.

lead in time, ability to put a gap at the start of the song, dropping a song in that starts very near the file start (not much blank space) is near impossible. no vinyl ever pressed had the tune starting right from the edge with no lead-in.

A choice between
//////////////////////////////
position reletive (uses the periodic TC position markers so if you do a fast backsipn and the software looses track it will skip to where it should have been as soon as it pick up a time marker)

pure time code, if the position of a cue reletive to the physical disk drifts big deal, atleast it isnt skipping

and any others that people come up with
/////////////////////////////

i dont know if anyone else minds not having the choice but i would like to
PS if im being incompetant and not using the software properly and i can do these things i appologise but i cant find the manual for these qusetions.

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 3:33 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i'm not really sure what your asking...if your playing a song and it skips to another part all by itself then the signal % is not good. i see what your saying with the needle drop feature but i just it just to begin the track again, skipping into the song on TCV is harder then the progress bar but then so is real vinyl so that not a fault. i believe if you turn off the pre-amp riaa then the needle drop will be off but not help skipping and might even make it worse. I believe the no lead-in is what should jump start the TCV signal. It sounds like your setup might have an issue. If you really want not to use VDJ while mixing then you should get xp10's

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 4:18 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Xeo,

I have FULL control in my decks, just like real vinyls. I can't tell what is your problem, but we can sort a solution for sure. You only have to use VDJ to pick up your songs in each deck, with TCVs (and TTs) you do the rest.

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 5:39 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Obvious answer is that you need a midi controller. You will always be limited with just tcv... however I do agree with the leadin issue. You should be able to pull a track back as far as u want before cueing a beat... this is a problem particularly when you want to scratch on the opening beat. I do hope this will be a future update!!

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 6:17 am
lol it doesnt skip by itself, i mean that if the needle skips to a different part of the reccord. if i scratch too hard or grab at the disk not carefuly enough, the needle will skip, allways has ever since vinyl was created. With final scratch i have the option to dissable needle drop so if it skips it doesnt go to a completely different part of the song but wont skip at all.

what i mean about not having full controll using the decks is that if i load a song on the left turntable while it is playing it wont play untill i stop the turntable for a little bit and start it again (sometimes doesnt work for some reason) or press the play button on the skin.

I have 100% time code quality, no problem with tracking and drifting im verry happy with how it scratches and cues.

@ listen2 "I believe the no lead-in is what should jump start the TCV signal." no i mean as l rids says, that you cant pull back past the start of the file/song as you can in ssl and fs and ive been told mixvibes DVS.

i dont mind selecting songs with a mouse and keyboard, that is not a problem. what i have a problem with is starting to mix and noticing that the VDJ play button is not lit. let me make this clear for people that dont speak fluent english. I would like a 'permenant play' so the deck is allways live and never stops being in play mode. 'if the turntable is spinning the song should be playing' as i said in my post. does everyone understand me now?

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 8:00 pm
i understand what you mean now...i think your easiest thing to try is increase the tracking on the turntable, you have anti-skip on in VDJ??/ i don't have this problem at all

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 9:16 pm
im allready using like 3g of needle pressure and 1.5g of anti skate. it doesnt skip easy tho. its only when i raely blunder it. im just saying can we have it as a feature. i would like to be able to put the stylus back to the start of the record (like when your running near the end of the TCV) without VDJ stopping the music and then going and jumping back to the start of the song for example.

thing is this is all my way of wanting to do things. Im ceratain that other DJs using TCV can think of ways they would like to improve the way they interface with VDJ using TCVs. having only one setting is not good as not everyone wants to do things the same way. everything in VDJ can be tailored to meet specific needs but the settings tab for the whole time coded vinyl system is very plain with hardly any options to customise to how people want to use it.

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 5:23 am
Xeo,
Check My Blog I have some tips for using turntables that may be useful to you. What turntables do you have? If you’re going to use 3gr in the cartridge you have to use 3gr in the anti-skating too.

In theory when TCVs are end and the song haven't finish yet, the song will remain playing until you mix it or let it play until ends.

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 9:00 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I can understand what Dj Xeo means, he needs a real "relative" mode (needle drop disable) and an "absolute" mode, like -ALL- other vinyl software already have.
I asked for these many times (dj xeo search for my posts), and the team is aware about it but for some reason this common feature is ignored.
To be fair, vdj has a really smart algorithm offering needle drop and cues/loops at the same time, and this is unique on Virtualdj ...But for some cases it causes problems.
more:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/12661/New_features/Timecode_MODES___PLeaSe_________.html?highlight=relative%20mode

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 10:29 am
i like the way virtual dj can do this. it is unique to have this combination of options at the same time but its not for everyone. i have leaned to live with the way VDJ opperates with the tcv but i thought one of the many benefits of using software is that it can be flexible and configured to different ways of working. what i want to know is, is needle drop ACTUALY useful because its far slower than any other way of searching a track and causes problems for some users.

@acw jd, why does having more stylus pressure mean you have to have more anti-skate force? ill give it a try tho

thanks for all your help but one last question....

is it possible to have a reply from anyone in atomix or are the disscussions we have in the forum just shouting at a brick wall? it would be nice to have some feedback, some kind of 2 way communication.

Thanks again! DJ Xeo

geposted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 1:03 am
I understand exactlty what Xeo is talking about, on all points. Anyone who doesn't understand what he is saying, probably doesn't use TCV/TCCD a lot.

One feature request that is of absolute interest to me, is the one where "if the tcv is playing, the song is playing". I get a little frustrated by this one at least a few times a night. This is how it works:

TCV is playing
Load a track
Track will not start playing until you stop the tcv and restart it

Which is really nice if you want it to work that way. I personally never do, and apparently Xeo doesn't like it either. I think he wants that particular feature to work more like the FS option. It sure would make my "quick mixes" quicker. There is nothing quick about stopping and restarting the deck for no reason, especially on my DZ1200 where it tooks a good 1.5 seconds to stop and start the deck.

geposted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 1:55 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Lol i think its kinda funny. I know exactly what you mean by the stop start thing also. Didnt realise a quick draw back of the hand and release on the scratch interface would be that much of a big deal.

geposted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 3:22 am
the way it is now i think is very natural and is pretty much the way real vinly is used. What might be nice is if VDJ would know that when you drop the needle the song starts playing your preset cue point #1, and if you lifted the needle and moved it a little further back it would know to start with cue point #2. Like automaic cues using the time signal to know which cue to play.

geposted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 4:19 am
DJKicePRO InfinityMember since 2005
I agree... more modes and I think they should have another version of the tcv... light edition or something just having a thinner vinyl and lighter... for scratching... final scratch already has it

geposted Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 9:58 am

I think the vinyl don't have to change as light or thinner vinyl. I like the current shape of TVCs. But improvements are always welcome.

geposted Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 7:23 pm
yeah i agree it is kind of on the thin side as it is, what might be nice is one side normal play and the other side can have seperated tracks allowing you to find and control cue points.

geposted Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 8:29 pm
or the vinyl could stay the same and simple options added to the software to allow you to use it the way you want. thinner vinyl is easyer to sipn and scratch and if people will pay for this different kind of disk atomix would be silly to not jump in and make some money. we all know the selling of the TCV is out of some guys house in france. why they cant just use different thickness blank vinyls and make some money out of it is beyond me.

At the end of the day the features that have been brought up would not mean starting the program from scratch and would make a great deal of improvement to the use of it. im sure that 'play allways on' or whatever would be totaly trivial. and inserting a bit of lead-in silence to te start ofa track cant be that hard ether. Can we not have a coment from a member of staff please?

geposted Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 4:39 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)