Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: suggested set up in a busy club

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

what's Good?

I need a recommendation for my set uo in the club I have vdj a 2ghz p4 laptop & 250 gig hd w/ tcv's on the way. I'm trying to figure how to intergrate my setup into the house while the opening jock is playing w/out stopping the music. You guys seem like working jocks help me out.

geposted Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 9:42 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i'm not sure if there is any easy way since the TT's have to plug into the soundcard, then to the mixer, so the house setup would have to be interrupted, only thing i can think of if you plug in the "other" TT into the card, load up vdj and mix off the "playing" song. then after that connect the other TT in. I'm curious also if their is another "smarter" way. The best would be BYOS

geposted Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 10:02 pm
This is simple. Use Y adapters on the current turntables that are installed in the club already. Plug the extra turntable lines into the input of your TCV setup. Very easy to do and doesn't interupt the way the opening jock gets down. Couldn't be simpler.

geposted Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 10:14 pm
Can this be done in the time frame of your average song? like 3:45 sec? I'm going to try this asap hope i don't f up . well I guess i can try it at home 1st thankz jus answered my own question

geposted Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 10:21 pm
The idea is you leave the Y adapters PERMANENTLY installed. They only cost a couple bucks each so this is not a big deal. You can connect up to the Y adapter outputs with your rig *while* he is playing. When they are ready to mix out and put real vinyl back on, simple. If you are on deck 1 with VDJ, he throws a platter on deck 2 and flips the mixer input or crossfade assign or whatever is on your mixer to go back to regular vinyl. Start the vinyl and crossfade from VDJ to vinyl. You should be able to start with vinyl and go to VDJ and back again as many times as you need during the night without ever once hearing a stop in sound in the club. Is this all making sense?

geposted Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 10:50 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
anewsome,
thanks for making that clear, i had the right idea just didn't think to split, i think it's because splits have always be reguarded as bad like when your neighbor taps off your cable tv. I thought it might mess the signal up, but no

What i would love to see is how long it takes for the other dj to drop their real vinyl altogether and be like "yo so this is called virtual dj???"

geposted Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 11:44 pm
I understand I guess when my tcv's arrive i'll have to try it in order to fully understand. I would assume this works the same way for tccd's . I'm just getting back into vinyl w/ this program I've been using cdj1000's for the past 3 years or so. I do alot of quickmixing & effects in the club & im trynig to make sure I'm ready for any setup in the club. Cdj or tt's
Thanks for the quick rsponse Vdj is the shi.......... Can't wait to show off to my dj buddies. They're gonna hate me now!!

geposted Fri 21 Oct 05 @ 11:57 pm
I have Y adapters on the outputs of my DZ1200. 1 set of outputs go into the maya44usb and the other set into my mixer (on lines 3 & 4). I frequently go back and forth between TCCD and real CD. Vinyl is no different. Sometimes I flip into line 3 or 4, then crossfade into real CDs, power down my laptop, put away the xp10s, breakdown the 2nd tier and the keyboard stand and start packing up cables, laptop, external HD, etc. I finish the set with real CDs. Just 2 DZ1200s and a mixer. This saves me a lot of time when the club is over and most of my gear is already packed up and put away. Snap the cover on my coffin (2 DZ1200s, Denon mixer) and I am outta that piece...

geposted Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 12:04 am
That's hot but some the clubs I dj there is no room to bring my setup. some club owners could care less about our comfort while spinnin. besides I'm trying to eliminate bringing alot of gear. One dj laptop bag is all im trying to lug around in Chicago clubs. I'm mostly a primetime or closing dj. I very seldom dj the entire nite 2 - 3 hrs max. So i'm trynig to travel light as possible, I just have to figure out this connection thing as long I'm at the club a hour before I start I should be ok

geposted Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 12:20 am
If you're not using your own equipment, I think this will be painful. Sometimes it takes a couple of passes to get the TCV working right. If you are inserting your TCV setup while a DJ is playing live, you basically have 1 try to get it right while the real vinyl is working. If you need to restart VDJ or the computer to get the TCV working, you'd better do it quick. You only have until the real vinyl record runs out.

geposted Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 1:51 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
if you have a decent ASIO card you can use VDJs pass-thru bypass thing. all that does is turn on the direct hardware monitoring of the card coppying the inputs to the outputs. the signal never leaves the hardware and is directly routed to the outputs so there can be no loss of quality then simply take your first deck off bypass and then the next and you can swithc as much as you liek btween the 2 without any swithcing of cables.
besides how many decent dj booths have you been in with wires from the decks open and not set in a work surface

geposted Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 5:10 am
Xeo, have you ever used bypass mode? I can never get it to sound as good as Y adapters and switching the mixer input. For some reason the direct into mixer with Y cables sounds better than going through the soundcard using bypass mode in VDJ. I think some other people here agree with me.

geposted Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 7:33 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I Agree anewsome... VDJ Phono Preamp isn't good for music...

geposted Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 11:30 pm
I thought I had a solution but, now i'm confused once again. what is the issue with vdj & getting the tcv's to work & its sounds like this isn't a good idea. If it isn't why have i been seeing a lot of the top local djs using serato in the club. Is their software more compatible with hooking into the mixer while vinyl is playing? I know my buddy uses serato & he gets to club 10min before his set starts. He also uses mac powerbook, (don't know if that makes a difference) However it seems rather tedious to do this in a busy club I guess i'll have to still bring my coffin W/ my cdj's & mixer & plug into a line of the house mixer & run vdj w tccd's . this is a easier set up, but doesn't eliminate the extra gear I'll have to bring in the club while it's packed. When i purchased vdj my dreams were to come in the club with one dj laptop bag & 2 redbulls. I have been sadly dissappointed. If someone can explain this to me in laments terms please feel free.

geposted Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 2:47 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
you dont have to use VDJ bypass mode or whatever it is. any ASIO device should have routing options for inputs direct to outputs. its part of the asio specification. means you can pass through your phono level signal to a phono input on the mixer and when you want to use TCCD or TCV simply take it off pass thru and switch the switch to line level! making sure you switch the mixer to line before starting up any line level music into a phono stage amplifier! (a great way to clip the house PA and blow all their horn drivers!) ive seen it done lol!

At the end of the day bringing your own setup and patching in on your own ch would much more simple and less risky going out live. if your fussed about carrying too much weight concider XP 10s as they give you just as much if not more control with half the weight and cost of CD decks and will let you plug in and set up far more quickly than setting up with, and calibrating TCCD/TCVs. after all. all you need then is your laptop and 2 XP10s (mabey an external disk) and all that will fit in your imaginary single laptop bag im sure.

geposted Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 5:48 am
That's cool, but I really don't care for the xp10s (judging only by looks) there is nowhere to try the xp10's in chicago. Guitar center & sam ash don't carry them. I would have to rely on the word from the forum. I'm just leary when it comes to doing tricks & a lot scratches in the club.
To be honest somethong about them, just don't look professional. one of dj buddies says he gonna order one. maybe I'll wait till then. I guess I'll be rollin with the ole trusty flight case w/ the cdjs & tccd's until I can figure something else out.

geposted Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 6:46 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)