Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Jake has passed

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Jake started out abandoned on the street with a broken leg and a dislocated hip ...... that's how Jake's favorite person Mary Flood came to adopt him as a black labrador puppy.

Jake was one of a number of heroic search and rescue dogs who literally dug through the smoldering rubble at the World Trade Center , and later waded through the flood waters left by hurricane Katrina , all to find humans , strangers to him actually ........

some of them must have seemed at least a little , like the ones that hurt him and abandoned him............................?

and some must have been like Mary too .....

this is # 1100 ...... for whatever reason i wanted it to be a good one .......

lets make some noise for all the Jake's and Mary's out there

geposted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 4:45 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
sounds like a truly remarkable animal its a pity a lot more humans could'nt act in such a selfish manner as jake...long may the memory of him be treasured.

just thought what about a memorial plaque/stone to the memory of jake and all other s/r dogs from around the world, would it be allowed would the authoritys give up some space in a park,worth a thought.

i'm a soft touch to stories like jakes...

Tayla

geposted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 7:05 pm
well said tayla yer alright by me........

i have among my many slideshow folders one of people's pets that is real cute , mostly dogs , and some very dramatic shots of the rescue dogs at the WTC ...... one is very noteworthy , a golden retriever strapped into a gurney , being sent across the void over the basement of the towers ...... the basements were 10 stories deep ...... the dog can see he has at least a 70 foot
chasm beneath him but calmly sits there ...... i know plenty of people don't have guts enough to do that once , never mind doing it over and over all day .......

geposted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 9:11 pm
now i'm really bummed ....... the golden retriever in the famous pic in the gurney ......is "Sam " hanavan who passed 3/21/06 ......

geposted Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 9:57 pm
shame another hero gone,

if you ain't an animal lover you won't understand this conversation people..

well back to my original thought how about a comemorative plague of some sort preferably near to the site if possible, i'm sure there would be many that would make a donation me included.

would that idea get off the ground your side of the pond...

Tayla

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 12:26 am
that's a good idea absolutely ..... i'd be surprised if such a thing isn't already in the works but i'll check on it ........

none of the rescue dogs or rescue personnel died in the line of work , there were stories and rumors about that ......

the two blind persons in the towers escaped thanks to there seeing eye guide dogs .......

one of the blind guys actually released his dog , thinking he was a dead man , let the dog go , maybe the dog at least can make it ....... well the dog stayed and guided him out down 71 flights of stairs .....

i found another picture of Jake , it's from back in the moment ........ he's seen getting an adjustment from a chiropractor after a long day's work at WTC ......... yes a chiropractor , yes for a dog

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 2:41 am
christ you've got some amazing stories about these friends of man pity we hear to much of mans indifference and cruellty to them, if you could would like to see some photos of them...

Tayla

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 1:49 pm
how do you post a pic ?

geposted Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 7:26 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 6:12 am
Thanks Alf , i'll try that ......i'm surprised .... no animal lovers i guess...... there are a lot of great true stories out there

"Yorkie doodle dandy " from WW2 ...... there was a German Shepherd MP dog that served in the US forces in Vietnam that was wounded 5x and returned to duty every time

it was General Eisenhower that said " it isn't the size of the dog in the fight , it's the size of the fight in the dog " ............

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 3:44 pm

Jake back in the moment , gettin' an adjustment from the dog chiropractor ..........

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 4:07 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Hehe Nice ;)

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 4:16 pm

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 4:19 pm
jake looks well happy. 'ok fellas now when do we start playing hide & seek again'....

and as for sam 'cool, i'm cool' just chillin' ...

pulling at those heart strings again chuck..

Tayla

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 5:02 pm

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 5:04 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I have read, and reread this post Chuck. I am a huge dog lover, and believe they are a gift from God. FDR once said "if you want a friend in Washington, get a dog". The loyalty and devotion they show is their best quality. These friends of man throw themselves in harms way time and again for us. Last week was a news article about a ten month old Chiuaua that took on a rattlesnake to protect a 18 month old baby. And that is just one example of how the enrich our lives. So all the dogs that worked the WTC deserve a hero's memorial as far as I am concerned...........

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 5:13 pm
thanks Teary .......... I always have 2 dogs .... a Labrador (so far i have had one black who's ancestors are pictured in AKC book of breeds (Thunder and/ or Thunderson ) and the current yellow .......poohbear ....... she's not so illustious but neither am i ...lol and i always adopt a mutt cuz it's a good thing to do ....... i often wonder how could we have deserved such loyalty ......

everytime i come home , apparently it's a holiday and time for celebration .......

geposted Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 5:27 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)