Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video Causing Audio ticking noise in V5

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi All,

So I've been vigorously testing V5 to see if I can use it live. I currently use 3.4 and everything works perfectly including karaoke and video. No conflicts at all. I love the new features in V5 and boy does it sound great compared to 3.4. You don't notice the difference until you do a side by side comparison. My system is a Toshiba laptop with Intel T2400 core duo processor 2GB ram, external 500GB eSATA 7200RPM WD HD, Gigaport AG USB soundcard, DMC2 controller. Nvidia 256MB Go7300 video card <---- the problem I'm pretty sure. All drivers and DirectX completely up to date.

Ok so as I said everything works perfectly under Windows XP pro with 3.4. With V5 everything appears to be ok until you enable video output with hardware acceleration on (same result regardless of second video out or windowed). Then you get a ticking sound from the audio.. This occurs not matter what the performance settings are or ASIO settings are. As soon as you disable video the sound is perfect again.

I have dual boot with Vista so I thought I'd try that as well and I get exactly the same result. I'm using the ASIO drivers under both OS's. Just for fun I tried the onboard crap audio and there was no ticking but obviously I had to set the latency to the max.

So I know it is most likely a conflict between the video card and the sound card using the same interrupt. I checked the resources and the video card and one of the 4 listed USB controllers are both on IRQ 16. I tried the sound card on different USB ports and all yielded the same result. I'm a former computer tech and I really don't know how to resolve this problem.

Why would everything work fine in 3.4 but not in V5? Help appreciated.

Thx

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 3:38 am
I'm going to look into a different soundcard to try as well. Maybe I can borrow someone's serato lol. Anyone have suggestions on USB cards with Vista support?

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 4:31 am
i have the same problem too im using the oodj custom built laptop from the other company and everything works ok in 4.3 but 5.0 im getting audio clicks and stutters when using divx karaoke on other window tried all setuos can anyone help

oodj
2 gig memory
1.6 gig mobile pentium 4
gigaport usb card

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:16 am

ADJUST PERFORMANCE SETTINGS!

Try in this order, and stop when it sounds fine

1) try AUTO for latency
3) Lower the performance slider towards faster
4) Turn off HQ master tempo
5) Turn onsafemode
6) Try over-clock

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 5:14 pm
Why do people never read the first post?! Norway thx for the advice but I have tried it in every performance setting and latency and every other option there. Makes no difference at all.

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 10:06 pm

Ok, reason audio ticks is almost always that the audio card runs out of audio data ("tick")
The audio card runs out of audio data (audio buffer) when it takes too long before it can get new data (fill up the bufffer).

And most often this is because the latency (audio buffer size) is set too small on your soundcard for your PC to handle it, OR some other intense hardware is interupting the data flow. IRQ sharing is the most nasty one, as they use same "phone line" to "talk" to the CPU.
But hardware on other IRQ's can cause bad effects too.. even background apps.

So its a bit of trial and error, and NO exact answer, and reason I posted the my list of first round of advices.

Safe Mode ON should take care if it though, but this reverts VDJ 4/5 back to 3.4 mode (not as crips sound as newer VDJ, as you said too).

In chance of saying something you'd already tried (and I did read your thread), the FIRST thing to try is AUTO for latency in VirtualDJ settings. That will let your audio card control lantecy, and not VirtualDJ.

Second try should be overclock, as some PCS, specially laptops, might need that.

And , if you increase VDJ latency setting to HIGHEST possible buffer, and STILL get ticks, well, then look outside VDJ :
- IRQ conflict ?
- LAN/BlueTooth/WiFI crap drivers? Try disable them

And even if it worked great in 3.4, Virtual DJ 5 is a completely different ballgame. EVERYTHING has changed almost... video engine, sound engine, etc.

Please report back, after doing some trial and testing.. Its suprising what in the end shows up as the "problem device/driver/setting"....

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 10:22 pm

and a very odd thing that have helped a few laptop users, and Gary tipped me of :

- Turn your laptop to LOW performance, MAX battery

Reason : using it on high performance means the graphic card draws off more power and doesn't leave enough power for the usb soundcard
(some laptops handle it bad)

ALSO :
- Go to device settings in Windows, locate USB ports and turn of "let windows power manage this port"

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 10:44 pm
I will try those suggestions thx. I also picked up an edirol fa66 to try out which is firewire. I noticed the other guy having the same problem also has a gigaport.

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:29 pm

Hope it works good in the end :)

geposted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:31 pm
Well sadly all the suggestions with the gigaport don't make any difference. The ticks keep happening no matter what. I tried the edirol firewire card and I could get it working with no ticks in the audio. But, I run into a whole new problem with the firewire card. It seems that no matter what I set the buffers to after a little while the sound gets some odd choppiness in it like a mild distortion. It's like the sound is right on the edge of crapping out is all I can do to describe it. I remember having the same problem with a presonus firewire card so maybe my machine doesn't like firewire audio. I use my firewire all the time for video capture and never have a single problem.

Anyway I'm going to stick with my gigaport and do audio only for now. The gigaport sounds fantastic btw on V5 as long as I don't enable video of course.

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 3:37 pm
Soundman69 wrote :
But, I run into a whole new problem with the firewire card.

Try AUTO for latency in VDJ, and overclock on.
If you havent already.

A PRO card NEEDS auto for latency in VDJ, since the PRO card, needs to control latency itself.

And make sure you have at least 512 audio buffer in the card setting, or even 1023

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 5:50 pm
Would this also be the case if I play for up to two hours and almost on the minute, the system starts is clicking and progressively gets worse as time moves foward. I then reset VDJ and start the timer over.

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 7:56 pm
fatkatzdj wrote :
Would this also be the case if I play for up to two hours and almost on the minute, the system starts is clicking and progressively gets worse as time moves foward. I then reset VDJ and start the timer over.

Sounds like some sort of power management possibly.

USB soundcard? Go to Device Manager and turn off "let windows power manage this port" for EACH usb port.

And try turn your PC to max performance.

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 7:59 pm
I was working with that last night but Vista has power plans... I wasn't sure to click on performance and tinker with a sub plan

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 8:14 pm
Ya Norway I did try those settings.

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 9:17 pm
Soundman69 wrote :
Ya Norway I did try those settings.

damn, thats a bummer...

Maybe your PC + the soundcard + VDJ aint being friends....

Weird, as the card you use are quite popular amongst users here

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 9:36 pm
OK, finally I got the video crackling, popping, and any other noise to stop. I also got my computer to use less CPU usage as well. My MP3 files load in roughly +/- 2 secods. My VOB files load in about +/- 10 seconds.

I ran every test possible to get this thing to hickup which include but not limited to multiple VOB files loading at once, Sonic running all the time. Running videos for over 3 hours straight in automix with different transitions. Video affects, slideshow, text, 2d text. I also ran a 1 gig video in automix in between regular videos. I ran samples, sound affects and scratched videos.

All this testing took me about 4 hours plus computer modification time which in all took me about 4.5 - 5 hours to get everything resolved. The cpu usage never really went past 50% except for the occasional spike to about 70%... audio alone ran at about 5% - 15% depending if I ran the song after a video.

I also would like to add that I ran internet during playing videos to get my research from the forums. Man, I'm sure glad I was able to research at the same time as I was able to trim the fat off my computer.

My specs:

Vista
HP 4300+ 2.3
64 x 2
2g ram (that was increased this weak)
Nvidia 7300 GS 256 dedicated
250 HDD that I only use as back up to my music / videos
2 external drives 1x 80g drive for audio, 1x 100g drive for video

I changed the power settings to max performance and went into sub plans and changed everything that wasn't nailed down to either never or low. Then I changed the USB hubs to OFF from ( let window control usb hubs ) I unchecked all usb hubs. I also changed the page file which I have NO IDEA what it does but thanks to CSTOLL for his guidance on it. Maybe he can PM me and tell me what it does or maybe I can look it up in google, DUHHH!

I tried sky's formula of getting rid of some the services but so I printed out the directions but could not figure out which service was which. I was also afraid of messing with anything in the computer. So in all I probably turned off about 4 items. No harm so far.

I'm thinking that I left something else out but I'm brain dead now. OH YEAH, Thanks to all the DJs on Thumpin Thursday that helped me get through this process. I worked a lot more effiently today listening to the radio crew. I tell you they ROCKED THE HELL out of the radio today. I can't wait to get my chance: HINT

I guess I should be glad that I didn't get my copy of v5 yet, becuase I probably would have been playing with the software instead of problem solving my system.

geposted Fri 24 Aug 07 @ 6:28 am

Good to hear you tweaked your PC to work like it should ;)

Your PC is now official labeled "CUE 5.0 READY"

("..now where is that *** upgrade?!..)

geposted Fri 24 Aug 07 @ 12:53 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)