Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Not Happy! - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Well, I took a chance and installed V5 on my gig box, now this machine is no slouch. P4 3.2 gig CPU, 2 gig mem, High end Radeon with 512 meg ddr3 onboard, Gigaport AG, trimmed down windows with all the unnecessary services stripped etc. In other words, a top end machine to say all it does is run VDJ.

So, with 4.3, I can't even remember the last time it gave me the slightest problem, it was absolutely rock solid and i was happy.

Tonight, with V5, no less than FIVE TIMES i get the error box with that damn annoying smiley face that offers to recover but when you click it, it just closes VDJ, playist gone, the lot!

What made it worse is that i had the press in my place tonight, so V5 made me look a fool!

I've left the gig box re-analysing all my videos, since the vast majority of my work is video, if that doesn't cure it, then it's back to 4.3 for me!

Point of notice. If I have what I would call "emergency tracks" ie a certain mix of a tune that I've only just aquired and haven't had time to tag up & place properly, I throw it on the desktop of the gig machine, so I know where it is and then it will remind me to tag it & place it in whatever folder next time I start the box up. Anyway, TWO of my 'problems' tonight happened as soon as i clicked "desktop" in the browser in the left window.

Coincedence? I don't know. Will report back how it behaves when this re-analysis is done.

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 2:08 am

well, I'll say this out loud .. AGAIN

DONT GO TO GIG WITH VIRTUAL DJ 5 BEFORE YOU HAVE COMPLETELY BUILT YOUR NEW VIRTUAL DJ 5 DATABASES

It takes time, and is a background process where Virtual DJ 5 reads tags, sort by genres, download covers, makes several XML files

So before you go live, help VirtuallDJ 5 (and yourself) to make it rock solid:

- Go through every main folder, and choose "add to search database"
- Recurse the folder a couple of times
- Right click all the files in that folder (select all files with shift key pressed down) and choose "file info >> get genre/year" etc

And let it process a bit on each folder.

when all is done, go to BROWSER tab in VirtualDJ, and choose FIX for each drive.

result : super happy VirtualDJ, and super happy DJ

:)

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 2:32 am

And if you go to a gig with VirtualDJ 5 before you feel that all new info is read and all is going well, turn VirtualDJ 5 back to "v4 mode" for the night.. to leave it running smooth at the gig

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 2:45 am
I know if I see that smiley face again i'm gonna punch it's lights out! Can't that smiley face be taken off the crash window, it looks like it's looking at you all smug and laughing cos it's crashed!

Gonna try the above and report back. Quick question though, are there any of the beta testers that are majorly video users? I use video throughout my gigs, got a huge music video collection and I can play a full night without going to mp3, even handling requests with video, so obviously that part is important to me.

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 12:27 pm
TopHouse wrote :
I know if I see that smiley face again i'm gonna punch it's lights out! Can't that smiley face be taken off the crash window, it looks like it's looking at you all smug and laughing cos it's crashed!

Hehehe... ;) good point! lol.. maybe something else than a smiliey would be better to show in the case where all goes wrong... hehe

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 2:02 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
a little red devil...

Tayla

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 2:22 pm
thinking this one could be a good replacement

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 2:27 pm
I was thinking something more like this :-

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 2:51 pm
loooool

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:02 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
TopHouse wrote :
Gonna try the above and report back. Quick question though, are there any of the beta testers that are majorly video users? I use video throughout my gigs, got a huge music video collection and I can play a full night without going to mp3, even handling requests with video, so obviously that part is important to me.

Hey TopHouse -- you probably don't want my feedback; lol, but I am one of those you ask about. 100% Video all night just as you describe... and I am an against the grain user... All my videos are decoded using the Windows Media Player and not VDJ's Video Decoder. So, ask away...

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 5:01 pm
Can't even remember what decoder i use for my video, it's that long since vdj gave me a problem. It's just that the thought occured to me that, as you yourself will know, users like me and you have slightly different needs than music only users, for instance, I like the smooth transitions that automix offers/d you know with the crossfader delay slider. Also, with music, 'real dj's' keep the vdj crossfader in the middle and mix with the mixer, we obviously don't as we need to video crossfade. So as I said, the needs of video users differ from music users, not only that, but it occured to me that since intensive video use is still fairly rare, that the number of beta testers who are primarily 'VJ's is probably very small too. In that case, putting 2 and 2 together, I thought maybe it's possible that some stuff could be overlooked, that either may not be applicable to 'sound only' guys, or, not even noticed by the majorly 'sound only' beta testers.

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 5:48 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I have two files which have caused my lappy to crash while analyzing. If I delete them from search db will I be able to run v5 without crash?

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:10 pm
I've had the same crash.. I think it's because of entries in my old playlists. Many Tracks that were analyzed in 4.3 aren't in v.5. The crashes happened mostly when trying out the automix. Luckily i had Itunes in the background with a decent playist ready to go. It crashed twice in the first 30 minutes, just out of the blue in the middle of a song. The little smiley face came up and luckily it let me get to the end of the track. After that i didn't use outomix... no more crashes. It also pisses me off that the database is corrupt..each and every time i start V5. Also, i noticed that some old (non-working) entries from some older playlists crept into the database and couldn't be removed. Example: last saturday, at a wedding they asked me to play a track off a cd. I played it through vdj 4.3 now it shows up in that playlist as track09. now with v5, i clicked on that playlist and that entry got into the main database (local database using isscanned=1 or isscanned=0) . if i click on that, it also crashes

I thought the CRASHGUARD was supposed to restart VDJ with your playlist intact. I didn't even restart it.

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:11 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
I have two files which have caused my lappy to crash while analyzing. If I delete them from search db will I be able to run v5 without crash?

Excuse me but, where was this topic part of this thread's discussion?
TearEmUp - please don't hi-jack threads. And what is up with that kinda of question, doesn't sound like you?

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:17 pm
DJ Mad Maxx wrote :
I've had the same crash.. I think it's because of entries in my old playlists. Many Tracks that were analyzed in 4.3 aren't in v.5. The crashes happened mostly when trying out the automix. Luckily i had Itunes in the background with a decent playist ready to go. It crashed twice in the first 30 minutes, just out of the blue in the middle of a song. The little smiley face came up and luckily it let me get to the end of the track. After that i didn't use outomix... no more crashes. It also pisses me off that the database is corrupt..each and every time i start V5. Also, i noticed that some old (non-working) entries from some older playlists crept into the database and couldn't be removed. Example: last saturday, at a wedding they asked me to play a track off a cd. I played it through vdj 4.3 now it shows up in that playlist as track09. now with v5, i clicked on that playlist and that entry got into the main database (local database using isscanned=1 or isscanned=0) . if i click on that, it also crashes

I thought the CRASHGUARD was supposed to restart VDJ with your playlist intact. I didn't even restart it.

Why are you going to a gig and using V5 if you have all those issues still? Did you not keep your 4.3 install and install v5 along side it? There have been a couple of threads on that.

Anyhow, please look at the manual - it explains how to use the Clean, Clear and Fix options to correct your database issues. Maybe try using those and your 'track09' and other invalid data might be corrected.

Also, those 'many tracks' that didn't show as analyzed after the upgrade are they duplicates of others?

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:24 pm
cstoll wrote :

TearEmUp - please don't hi-jack threads.

What he said......

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:41 pm
TopHouse wrote :
cstoll wrote :

TearEmUp - please don't hi-jack threads.

What he said......

Top you missed the nice part -- It doesn't sound like something TearEmUp would say...?

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:45 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
cstoll wrote :
TearEmUp - please don't hi-jack threads. And what is up with that kinda of question, doesn't sound like you?

Was not trying to hijack it Cstoll, I was asking a question I did not have an answer for. And trying NOT to start another thread, I have seen this done in the past questions in a thread that run along the same lines. Not my intention to hijack..If you would prefer I will start a new Thread. Please let me know. @Top, lighten up dude

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:47 pm
cstoll wrote :
DJ Mad Maxx wrote :

Why are you going to a gig and using V5 if you have all those issues still? Did you not keep your 4.3 install and install v5 along side it? There have been a couple of threads on that.

Anyhow, please look at the manual - it explains how to use the Clean, Clear and Fix options to correct your database issues. Maybe try using those and your 'track09' and other invalid data might be corrected.

Also, those 'many tracks' that didn't show as analyzed after the upgrade are they duplicates of others?

some were..many were not duplicates. It's most likely some bad info in the old playlists. I recently used tag&rename to fix and clean up my tag/filename info.

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:51 pm
TearEmUp wrote :

That's cool understand.. it's just didn't seem like your style of a question. But you know that is a loaded question? So here is the loaded answer
The answer is Yes, VDJ will not crash as a result of trying to analyze those two files since they will no longer exist.
If you remove them from the Search DB you need to set the Config -> Browser tab -> Search Database option to 'Add Manually' otherwise they will get added back to the DB the next time that folder is accessed that contains the files.

As for future potential crashes do to other corrupt or poorly constructed files ... can't guarantee that one.

geposted Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 6:58 pm
67%