Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Database drive question [Resolved] - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Hi all, i just updated one of my systems to Cue 5.0 and am in the process of getting it ready but am a bit confused, mostly with the database drive feature in the browser tab. I try selecting my external with all my audio and video but it is not showing up in the drop down menu. Any suggestions ?
Is it not supposed to be there ? Or am i not doing something. I've already added each folder to the DB individually and recursed the drive from the desktop icon . If anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction that would be great. I thought i saw a post where someone listed the steps needed to get V5 ready for primetime but i cant find it.

Sorry if this has been asked but i cant find any info when i search.

Thanks, Alex

geposted Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 4:56 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

geposted Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 5:10 pm
I didn't know there was a CUE manual out there. I'll try to find it. Thanks for the link.

geposted Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 5:17 pm

geposted Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 5:37 pm
I have another question along the same lines as this one that i can't find an answer for in the manual or online. I have a feeling i am overlooking something really simple and if so please forgive me but here it goes.
In the browser tab in config. when i go towards the bottom there is a section called "Database" in which there is a drop down menu titled "Drive" under which my "C" Drive is listed along with my "D" Drive . I store all my music and videos on a external H/D which is the "F" Drive and is not listed in the drop down menu. Is this something i should worry about ?
I keep reading about recursing and adding to DB which i have done by clicking on the desktop tab which leads to computer which leads to my drives at which point i can select the "F" Drive and add and recurse my folders.
All i want to know is that i am doing this correctly so that come next weekend my laptop is running smooth and trouble free. At the present time whenever i do a search a window pops up for a split second that says sorting and the CPU meter shoots up halfway. I also encountered a intermittent random crash of the software brought on by minimizing the software to to transfer pics into a folder off a CF Card reader to run a slideshow.
Please, any help would be appreciated.

PS.
I have also tried adding my external as a favorite monitored folder only to see it disappear whenever i shutdown and restart the software

Thanks, Alex

geposted Mon 03 Sep 07 @ 6:20 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Try hooking up the external before you boot up. Also try your drive on
another system if possible. It could be going bad. I had a similar problem with my
drive which was a little over one week old. Turned out the drive died.

geposted Mon 03 Sep 07 @ 1:28 pm
@djphenominal - give some info about the external hard drive you are using? Make/Model ? And, yes the hard drive needs to be connected and on in order to see it in the Config->Browser tab in the Database drop-down. If it's not being seen then something is wrong with the connection of the drive to the computer.

geposted Mon 03 Sep 07 @ 6:02 pm
The hard drive in question is a western digital 500 GB SATA drive in a external case. I always start the HD up and make sure the laptop sees it before running VDJ. I can go into and work with the files on the HD in question i just cant get VDJ to see it in config. It only gives me the option to select C drive which holds vista and D drive which is a partition in vista for data files. I think i should have mentioned vista earlier, could vista have anything to do with it ?
PS - I can add all my music and videos via the browser section in VDJ, clicking on desktop, computer and then selecting the drive but still can't see the drive in Config > Browser .
I tried my backup HD and i get the same results. Just trying to eliminate the possibility of a bad drive.

Anything other suggestions ?

geposted Mon 03 Sep 07 @ 7:40 pm
Anyone ?

Now whenever i shut VDJ down and restart i get a corrupt database message

Any help would be appreciated. If not on this issue at least on uninstalling version 5 until someone can help me further. i cant get it working in a way that seems right and cant afford any foul ups during a gig. I did stumble upon a manual after my initial install that says that all must be present including HD when first updating to version 5 - Im not sure if i had my HD running or not at the time of install but im sure there is a way around this in the event that the proper steps where not taken. Anyone know how that's done ? I tried using the uninstall tool and reinstalling version 5 with the HD running and still my external "F" Drive is still not showing up in VDJ but i can find it , run it, edit it , abuse it via my computer.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 12:59 am

Try connect all your drives you have music on (external drives included).

Then run FIX on EACH drive, in the Browser tab, in VDJ settings.

did that fix it?

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 1:18 am
I would love to but my external drives are not showing up in the browser tab.
I only get C which houses vista and D which is a partition for data off the same internal HD.
My audio and video files are on a external which is labeled as F drive but its not showing on the drop down menu in the browser tab.
Thanks, Alex

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 1:57 am
djphenominal - if you look in the root of your two external drives do you see an XML file called VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml ?

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 3:11 am
Sorry about the delay , no i do not see that xml in the root of my external drive.
should i find it elsewhere and copy it into the external drives ?

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 4:01 am
I have also noticed that if i make a virtual folder or add a folder as a favorite it disappears after i restart VDJ - It is not storing any of the changes i make.

I want to than you guys for your patience during my current issues. Im sure we will figure out what the problem is in no time .

Thanks in advance, Alex.

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 4:58 am
So, after fiddling around some more i was able to make my external "F" drive show up in he cong > Browser tab
Thanks to CSTOLL and DJ IN NORWAY for all the help. without your direction i would have probably bashed my head onto the nearest sharp corner and called it a day.
All jokes aside, i am still having some other minor issues which i will continue to work on for a while and if i cannot fix them i will post another message in the forum.
As for this issue it has been resolved.
Thanks again

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 5:21 am
djphenominal - can you post what you did to get it working? As we might be able to learn if it is a bug or system configuration ? It would be helpful and glad you got it to recognize the drive. As you said next! But, if it is sorting and searching issues... please read here next ... Database Issues - Explanations and Discussion

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 5:26 am
I have the exact same problem - external drive letter not showing on drop-down menu in "config". no .xml database file written in the root of external disk drive (mine is letter "H:"). reinstalled V5 rev2 several times... please post the solution to this problem, djphenominal.

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 11:24 am
I did a search for "VirtualDJ local database v5" XML file which turned out to be in my "D" Drive on my laptop , i cut it out of there and pasted it into my external drive.
Other issues have now come up but i will start a new post on that.

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 9:44 pm
Don't cut and paste anything from any drive. There are multiple databases 1 for each drive.

These are the instructions I gave someone else and it resolved their problem ---

--when you did the upgrade and launch VDJ v5 for the first time - was your external drive plugged in and powered on?

If not, make sure you are setup (external hard drives) like you would be for a gig.
Go to your external drive(s) root (e.g. F: ) and rename the VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml -to- VirtualDJ Local Database v5.orig
Go to the My Documents->VirtualDJ folder and rename the VirtualDJ Database v5.xml -to- VirtualDJ Database v5.orig
Now, look at the other .xml file you should have a copy of your v4 file - VirtualDJ Database (username).xml
If not, stop here and post back. If so, great! Launch VirtualDJ an what should happen is that V5 will use your v4 DB XML to rebuild the V5 database files. This in turn should have all your info from v4.

Post on how things go..

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 9:51 pm
I dont see a copy of my V4 file and after taking the steps you mentioned before i can no longer see my "F" Drive in config > browser > Drive.

What is happening now is that no matter what i do i cant seem to get my music and videos to stay in my database and i have to add it to the search DB and recurse the drive everytime i run CUE

would it be better if i simply un-installed everything and started from scratch ?

geposted Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 10:23 pm
45%