Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: numerous video extensions

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

A friend of mine, who vj's , but only visually, not musically with his videos...told me not to use too many different types of video, like .Vob .AVI .MP4...that i should try and stick with (at the most) 2 types of video...he said it can overwhelm the application and cause freeze up or crashes.

Is this true for VDJ? He uses resolume to vj. Is it a good idea to use avi, .mp4, .vob, .mpg, .mov all in one night without any issues?

My specs are

Windows XP
2.8 dual core xtreme cpu
4 gigs ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT Graphics

Input appreciated!
Thanks

geposted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 5:42 pm
While you have the appropriate decoders vdj has no problems with the different kind of codecs.

geposted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 6:24 pm
that is good to hear...

do any of the compression's put more strain on the cpu than other like an mp4 compared to a .vob? or is that where the codec comes in (sorry i'm a newbie to video)

geposted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 8:25 pm
You could write a book on the subject, there's a lot to it. But i do agree with what your friend has said, for instance, if you played 4 video files in a VJ environment, you are not playing one at a time, you may be playing a number. Now if they are a mixture of mpeg, avi, divx, etc etc, in effect you're running several codecs at once and it would be confusing. VDJ will handle almost any format but it doesn't even make sense to be juggling formats about.

With regards to what file format is best, it's horses for courses, I've used divx and din't like it, I now use high res/bitrate mpeg1, simply because for the file size i keep good quality AND graphics cards handle mpeg1 very easily, others on here prefer raw vob files. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

geposted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 2:44 am
You can use xvid codec it saves lots of space on hard disk and excellent video quality.

geposted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 6:42 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)