Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Any tips on Mixing Reggae and Dub

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I play House, Electro and trance when i'm out and about, but when i'm at home I sometimes like to listen to and play reggae and Dub to chill out to.

Has anybody got any tips or secrets they could share with me on how to mix this, esp Dub.

geposted Fri 02 May 08 @ 10:33 pm
jimmy b wrote :
I sometimes like to listen to and play reggae and Dub to chill out to.

I see we have more in common than 1200's and mk2's huh?
Anyhow whatever you mean by chilling out (nothing illegal I hope), makes the mixes need to be smooth esp. with dub. The key is to remember that the beat doesn't actually start till after the drum intro,and of course you know all about cue points and markers. In my opinion, its even better if you include that 1st drum intro, I mean after all that's what a reggae beat is all about, that therefore means you can cue it up using the actual start of the measureable beat but note the cbg position in order to include the drum intro (phew) . Most of the work will then be on how you fade out the outgoing track, just remember to keep it gentle so you don't mess with the......

jimmy b wrote :
chill

...:-) rock away!

geposted Sat 10 May 08 @ 4:19 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
lennyndegwa wrote :

Anyhow whatever you mean by chilling out (nothing illegal I hope),

Course not mate ;)

Thanks for that Lenny, I'm actually getting it abit now. Listening to it, is alot easier than playing it, but once I've chilled out (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) it seem's to come together OK. I just love the rolling basslines in Dub, bloody awesome mate.

geposted Wed 14 May 08 @ 9:42 am
i too like to play reggae (not so much dub), what is a good way to keep a fluid mix? many reggae songs have some sort of vocals from the very beginning of a song to the end. i find it hard to have a nice mix with too many vocals going on. with other genres it seems there is music in the beginning and the end, which make it easier to blend. any help will be appreciated.

geposted Sat 17 May 08 @ 10:01 am
The way I have found to mix songs with vocals at intro and out is to find the break, loop it, use it to open, then on the other deck mix in the track. But, I don't do any reggae so that may not be the way to go with that. Plus, I'm just a small time spinner so my experience is limited.

geposted Sun 18 May 08 @ 9:22 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)