Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: usage of Compressor

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi there,

as I was listening to my latest mix this afternoon I did not like all parts. Some of my transition where (though mixed in key) just too loud. So I was wondering wether I could give a compressor a try to smooth things out.

So what I´m basically asking, is if someone in here has experience with this kind of post production. Don´t get me wrong: I do not want to apply massive compression like radio stations do. I´m just trying to level out the loud parts with the rest of the mix in a smooth manner.

Any input and share of exprerience would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT: To prevent misunderstanding, I'd like to point out: As stated above, I´m looking for post production steps I could do with an audio editor after mixing. I am not looking for a VDJ plugin which applies itself to the master before it is recorded to the harddisk.

geposted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 10:27 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
hi mike,

i'd post it here but its too much information. i wrote a 4-part series for a local party mag called 'the quintessential mixtape'. the final two parts i cover exactly this, post-production of recorded mixes.

there are several ins and outs that are covered because compressing a full mix is not always recommended. it will make the low parts louder, but will make the louder parts unbearable. you need to treat the mix in pieces before hand (which is covered) using normalizing techniques.

principally I believe that as a DJ you need to be aware of this prior to mix time. using visual tools, you can train your eyes and ears better by using VU meters with inertia settings added (also covered). the goal and end result after some time is that you dont need to treat the final mix much or at all. finishing touches for a good mix should be to multiband compress the final product just to tweak the sound for distribution and give it a little bit extra loudness before clipping occurs.

you can find this on my sit at www.djpaz.net under the articles section.

geposted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 10:40 pm
Thanks Paz. Your article was just the kind of info I needed. Since I try to keep my tracks to equal loudness by ear (meaning, I crossfade several times on the headphone before throwing in a new track) most of the time I´m quite right. But your compressor explanation gave me great start on understanding what happens, and also some values to start off from. Just a gave it very quick try and I´m must so I´m already quite happy with it. But I will keep trying some more.

Thanks for sharing!

geposted Fri 13 Jun 08 @ 1:48 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)