Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video crashing system... wierd problem. - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Hi all....

I had a problem recently and thought it was my set up.

I had the orginal Maya 44 MKII installed at one time on my computer. I updated it to the new ESI version. Well I did a video night at a bar I work at through week. I brought my turntables and went to town. It crashed about 3 to 4 times that night. Lucky for my I had my DAC-3 in my set up and just played with it no problem. I thought it was conflicting drivers from the previous soundcard. So I did a fresh install of windows and drivers for the new sound card. I have been waiting to get my new Ecler Nuo 4 mixer in order for me to have a full blown scratch video DJ set up. I just got it on Monday and love it. Well I was going through some videos and mixing at home when it crashed again in the same way. It freezes the video that is playin on the screen. I can still use the vinyl but it has the crash revovery dialog box. I go to recover and it starts VDJ over and says Error in Asio Sound Card Driver. I can't use my TCV and that point until I restart my computer.

Here's the weird part. It crashed on the same video on the same spot over and over. So I re-encoded the video and re-loaded it with no problem. This video was downloaded from the web and is a DVD ripped video. It is in the right MPG2 format and audio is the right sampling rate (44khz) Identical to many other videos I have in my library. I only download tracks randomly if I am in need of it last minute. I try to stay away from that. I currently have a subscription to Promo Only and am looking into VMS as well.
I have over 2000 videos in my library mostly DVD ripped from my own collections I have purchased. How am I supposed to check all that before it crashes again? Why would a video effect a soundcard and TCV connection?

UPDATE:
using a seperate computer with NO controller or Maya Soundcard it did the same thing there.
I tested it with the same videos I had problems with and it crashed on the same spot like clock work.
Instead of playing all 2000+ videos on auto pilot is there a way to analyize the videos in batch to ensure there is no problem with them?

any help or suggestions are welcome :-)

geposted Fri 30 Jun 06 @ 12:46 am
I could take a look at the video and audio streams if you like, depends if you want to upload the 220mb vob or so I guess. Was the extension of the file mpg rather than vob? That may suggest the file has been reencoded with a third party utility (or ripped from a tv source) which could be where the problem is coming from. The files you've ripped yourself are probably error free but I don't know of any utilities to batch test their integrity.

The program VCDGear has some sort of MPEG correction utility and may be worth a shot, but try to only test it on isolated files as I'm not 100% sure what it does, or if it works with MPEG2 for that matter.

geposted Fri 30 Jun 06 @ 1:23 am
How do I upload the file for anyone to test what I am having an issue with?
The MPG file is 136 mb in size.

I tried the VCDGear program and it didn't correct the file from from crashing VDJ.

After setting my computer to run on auto play for at least one of my folders of videos it crashed on another one that was ripped from a promo only DVD. So I have NO idea what it could be that would cause it to crash VDJ now. Could be from any source. That is kind of scary to think I have to test EVERYONE of my videos before playing live. You never know what you may end up playing somewhere by request or whatever... especially if I am doing video with TCV. When it crashes I have to re-boot the computer and in the middle of your gig the Windows XP logo and boot screens don't look pretty on a big projection or plasma when you getting paid to play videos.

geposted Sat 01 Jul 06 @ 3:33 am
You can upload the file to http://www.megaupload.com/ but don't post the link in here for the download, use pm's or e-mails - just to avoid any problems with uploading a full video.

It could be a problem with your mpeg2 decoder but it is an odd problem. Maybe even harddrive corruption?

geposted Sat 01 Jul 06 @ 6:55 pm
doubt it is the MPG encoder or the hard drive corruption.

I had this happen in two different systems and with the same files on the same spot on the files.

geposted Sat 01 Jul 06 @ 11:10 pm
The best test you can do would be to try the original promo only dvd on an external player, playstation 2, xbox 360, whatever you have available to you, just something which isn't a PC.

geposted Sat 01 Jul 06 @ 11:45 pm
ok did some testing with the MPG decoder stuff.

I had the VDJ settings for reading MPG files to "Video Decoder" which is default of course. I changed it to the "Windows Media Player video decoder" and it didn't crash at all with some of the suspect videos. BUT... when I go to use my TCV and try to scratch the video it doesn't move freely. It just freezes until I let it go on forward again at normal speed. I have the Nvidia Pure Video Decoder installed as my windows video decoder. I have tried the FFDshow Decoder as well a long time ago with similar results with using the TCV and scratching. So is it the what can I do to get the video to respond like it did in the default setting with moving back and forth with scratching using other decoders? Is it my video card? I have an E-VGA 6600 GT (AGP). And why would the default setting of "Video Decoder" be an issue? Will it be fixed in version 4 so I don't have to hold my breath when I load and play a new video during a live show?

geposted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 3:25 am
I have my videos set up by decade. I have a 70's folder, 90's folder, and 2000's folder... along with other misc folders depending on the video content. I have two computers working around the clock taking a decade and playing all the tracks in auto play. In my 90's decade I have come across at least 10 or more videos so far that have caused it to crash VDJ. There are about 700 videos in the 90's folder. None yet in the 2000's folder. Some of the videos I have ripped from old ETV DVD's I have. Rarely was it a video from a downloaded source. I write down the video and time it crashed. I replay the video and it CAN be reproduced as a crash. So if anyone on the developement team or support want ANY of my videos in question let me know and I will find a way to get it to you to experiment with.

I was just told today that I now have a regular video gig at a bar I have been DJ-ing at for a few months now. I will be doing video on Thursday nights there using my TCV and Ecler Nuo 4 mixer. I am excited. I just don't want ANY crashes that cause me to re-boot my computer everytime.

Is there ANYONE else out there who has had this problem and possible solution?

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 4:55 am
Are you sure you can rule out harddrive corruption? Some mpeg decoders are more forgiving with errors, I believe ffdshow is one of them. Could you try loading a problem video from one of your original promo only discs (burned discs do die due to bad dye, pun intended) into virtualdj, may require reripping it.

Anyway best of luck for your gig, hope you get everything sorted before then. May be worth contacting djdericke (sp?) regarding external mpeg audio/video decoders, I think he's found something that works. Personally I tried ffdshow, elecard, cyberlink and maybe one more but it didn't give good resuilts with vdj.

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 5:52 am
The problem I had with the other decoders is that I couldn't get the video respond with the TCV very well.

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 6:24 am
low-fat-al,
have you tried one of the "problem" files in Windows media player?
Ewout

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 8:52 pm
yeah, and it plays fine there.

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 9:00 pm
That is strange. Try to upload one of your files somewhere and send the link to the VDJ team, maybe they could sort the problem.
Ewout

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 9:06 pm
I am uploading a 150 meg video to one of my undeveloped websites.

Should I give the URL here or PM you guys with it? I don't want to draw too much traffic there.

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 10:59 pm
I should not post the link here. Keep in mind the traffic that it will generate on your webserver, not to mention copyright and so on. I should pm the link to dj-in-norway, he could forward it to the dev team.
You could it also pm to me, I could try if the behaviour is the same at my laptop and gig pc.
Ewout

geposted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 11:35 pm
Superstorm...

I PM-ed you the link.

Thanks again.

geposted Wed 05 Jul 06 @ 12:14 am
well.. I guess that was a waste.. No one has responded about my problem. I don't know if Superstorm has even gotten the file I gave him a link to. ...

I went ahead and had my computer on auto play for like 2 or 3 days playing ALL my 2000+ videos to check them all. I found around 20 or so that were causing it to crash. I ended up taking the videos and re-encoding them in TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress. All works fine now. I guess from now on I will play EVERY video I rip from start to end to check to see if there is a problem.

I just did a video gig this saturday night using my Ecler Nuo 4 + TCV... IT ROCKED!!!
I was scratch mixing videos all night long and EVERYONE was is shocked. When I was setting up the staff was making comment about the turntables alone... "wow going old school?" .. I told them,"just wait and see.. this is old school meets new school.."

geposted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 1:09 pm
low-fat-al,
sorry for the delay, I was quite busy, so Im dowloading the file at this moment. It is ready in about 10 minutes. So I will report to you later.

Glad that you had a good gig, but not nice that you have to play them all. This will take a lot of time. Have you also send the link to dj-in-norway? He has good contact with the VDJ team and developers, so he might help as well.
Ewout

geposted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 5:02 pm
I haven't sent the link to anyone else yet... I was unsure who and all that... I will send to him here in a bit.

Well, any input on this matter is well appreciated.

geposted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 7:01 pm
low-fat-al,
downloaded the file. When I play it on my laptop (not my gig pc). It starts normally, during playback more and more artifacts show up in VDJ. I see more and more square blocks, especially in fast moving parts. At 1:37 my VDJ crashes. It gives the recover or shutdonw crashguard. So it seem the same as you experience. I will try it on my home desktop system as well tonight.
Ewout

geposted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 8:12 pm
45%