Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Time to become legitimate... - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

SkiHogPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I need some information guys. I now have the equipment, and while my scratching and cutting skills are not nearly as good as most of you...in this area a DJ that will simply play good music, and blend it together well to keep a party rolling seems to be in high demand...because I keep getting asked to do gigs. Right now I am not charging, but everyone is wanting to pay me...so I just tell them I accept tips in the form of drinks and kisses from hot chics. Basically this keeps it at me just playing music for some friends, which I think is legal. So with some hesitation I am thinking about turning my hobby into some side money.

While I can not say that "all" of my music is legitimately purchased, I can say that I try 100% to purchase all of my music...but if I run across a good remix or beat that I can not find to purchase, I tend to keep it.

The main thing I am looking for is, "What do I have to do to legally be able to play music for other people that pay me to do so"? The damn laws are so thick, and I am no lawyer, that I can not figure out the answer to that "simple" question. I should say that I am located in Mobile, Alabama USA.

I know this could be a long answer, but I haven't been able to find a "definite" this is what you have to do

Thanks for any info.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 5:35 pm
firs of all buying your records and song is a good thing, and makes it safe for you...

Countries as UK (and I think USA too) have a dj licence on top of that, that you need to pay to play others music for audience..

http://www.ppluk.com/ppl/ppl_lf.nsf/DigitalDJ?openPage (UK)

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 5:50 pm

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 5:55 pm
Awesome, thanks man.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 5:56 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
firs of all buying your records and song is a good thing, and makes it safe for you...

Countries as UK (and I think USA too) have a dj licence on top of that, that you need to pay to play others music for audience..

http://www.ppluk.com/ppl/ppl_lf.nsf/DigitalDJ?openPage (UK)

dunno about the states, but in the uk you only need that license if you are using a laptop (chances are most on here are), otherwise you're covered by the venues license.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 8:37 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Laptop/PC or playing from any mass storage device (HD). Playing Custom burnt CDs/MP3 CDs or DVDs are illegal in the UK, no licence can be bought to allow the playback of these mediums.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 8:50 pm

thats freaking weird law! ;) lol...

Its ok to play from a harddrive, but if you have them on a remote storage like DVD, you are f**ed...

Nice!;) hehe
.. makes perfect sense.. lol

Well, external harddrive it is... ! hehe

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 8:53 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
Playing Custom burnt CDs/MP3 CDs or DVDs are illegal in the UK, no licence can be bought to allow the playback of these mediums.

where's that from? i've never heard that before. i've had the prs and the ppl in when i've been working a few times and they've never commented on cdrs. when you buy a digital download you are granted a license to burn them onto cdrs to play.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 8:55 pm
That is exactly what I was thinking.

A Hard Drive is okay...a Custom Made Removeable Media (ie. CD/DVD) is not okay...then what is a Removeable Media Hard Drive (ie USB) with MP3s on it? okay or not okay?

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 8:56 pm
exactly... hehe

W*E*I*R*D law... lol

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 8:58 pm

That ruins some of the fun with the new iCDX... that plays mp3 DVD's...

At least if you live in UK ;)

Guess I'll quote Monty Python :
“It's funny, isn't it? How your best friend can just blow up like that?”

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:01 pm
After years of procrastinating, the UK’s broadcast royalties collection society, Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL), have created a licence for DJs wishing to play digital music files in public.
The Digital DJ license costs £200 per year and legally allows DJs to make up to 20,000 digital recordings onto a laptop or a computer to play out in clubs and pubs.

However, the license only covers DJs that play directly off laptops or computers.

It does not cover those that burn legally downloaded music onto CD, and even those that own a PPL Digital DJ license still face prosecution if caught doing so.

Peter Leathem from PPL said: “Before this license it was technically illegal to play mp3s in a club, but this digital license finally allows DJs to play off laptops or computers.”

“We will give DJs adequate time to purchase the license, and then will start regulating venues in the near future.”

He continued: “We’re also in talks with many big pub and club chains, and many of them are keen to have only licensed digital DJs playing in their venues.”

PPL’s Digital DJ license also allows DJs to keep back-ups of all their music files on a separate hard drive.

“This was something that we included in the scheme after having discussions with hundreds of professional DJs,” says Leathem.

“Originally, we were only going to allow 10,000 tracks to be downloaded per year with the license, but this has now been increased to 20,000 after many DJs suggested this figure was not high enough.”

Many will point out that policing DJs that play digital downloads off CD will be difficult.

After all, DJs have been doing this for years.

In response Leathem said: “There was a real need to establish a legal framework in regards to playing digital music in public.

“This has now been done, and soon we will make spot checks at clubs, and prosecute any digital DJs who don’t have the license.”

But how will PPL be able to tell if a digital music file has been legally, or illegally downloaded?

“Of course, this would be very difficult,” said Leathem.

“But we’ve given digital DJs a lifeline with this license, and we’re more concerned about those that continue to play digital music in public without it.”

Currently, only a handful of sites are offering PPL’s Digital DJ license, but the scheme will be available across the UK soon.

One such site – digitaldj.co.uk – has been set-up specifically to cater for the growing numbers of jocks going digital.

James Hudson, Marketing Manager at digitaldj.co.uk, said: “This is one of the most important industry developments in recent years.”

“Finally, digital DJs can play off their laptops without fear of being prosecuted.”

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:01 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
It does not cover those that burn legally downloaded music onto CD, and even those that own a PPL Digital DJ license still face prosecution if caught doing so.

yes, that's right but what that article is missing off is that playing legally download music off cdrs is actually covered by each venue's entertainment license.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:05 pm
"the license only covers DJs that play directly off laptops or computers. "

Damn thats silly.. lol

External harddrive vs a DVD ... not that much of a difference.. both being storage disks..

Guess UK law doesnt agree with me on that;)

Makes VDJ shine though ;) most use laptops with harddrives.. But poor dvd hardware cd players in UK ;)

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:05 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
Laptop/PC or playing from any mass storage device (HD). Playing Custom burnt CDs/MP3 CDs or DVDs are illegal in the UK, no licence can be bought to allow the playback of these mediums.

I didn't know that,

good job I purchased a 320gb external HD last week!!!

Personally, in regards to this Digital DJ license, I'm slightly concerned where is this money going to be going, is it going to be going to Mr Brown's warchest, or is it, like I hope to be going to charities such as Music Therapy and those who really do need the money.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:23 pm
Am I translating this properly to mean that as long as the audio is coming out of your laptop it is okay? In other words you can not play burned CDs via your CDTurntables, but you can play them from your CD player in your laptop?

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:25 pm

but max 20.000 songs pr licence...hehe;)

And damned if you make backup on DVD's ... thats illegal in UK! ;) hehe...
You got great football, the best humour, nice beers... but silly laws.. lol ;)

You live in USA right SkiHog? Laws might be different there ;) I hope

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:27 pm
hahaha...yes I'm in USA...and I will quote my first post:
Quote :
The damn laws are so thick, and I am no lawyer...

It is sad when you want to be legal, try to be legal...and can't figure out how the f**k to be legal.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:32 pm
Hence the article

@ Norway, I'm not trying to justify the laws, i'm just informing of what I've read, and of course what I hear out. so if you use a HD you should pay a licence fee? yet if you burn all those Tracks to CDR you are exempt from paying a licence fee? what an easy hole in the law that would be..

@ Secret Soul,
I'm not sure of your encounters with PPL, but I can tell you they don't like CDRs hehe, if you can prove you own the actual CD original (you qualify under the record back-up law) or have receipts for each download they probably wont do anything, but if like most people you are using CDRs with unaccounted material or even if you lake the needed proof, they can confiscate your CDRs and more. But if your under the idea they wont bat an eye lid your mistaken.

“We haven't come up with a licensing solution for CD-Rs,” Peter Leathem, Director of Legal and Business Affairs at the PPL has revealed to DJmag.

“The decision taken was that CD-Rs were an unnecessary complication of the simple license we had come up with.”

However German techno DJ Chris Liebing is cynical about the new license.

“It is the most ridiculous thing ever. Paying more money when a track has already been paid for makes sense for a radio station, yes.

“Yet, when it comes to flat fees for DJs it's the most ridiculous thing in the world.”

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:35 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
@ Secret Soul,
I'm not sure of your encounters with PPL, but I can tell you they don't like CDRs hehe, if you can prove you own the actual CD original (you qualify under the record back-up law) or have receipts for each download they probably wont do anything, but if like most people you are using CDRs with unaccounted material or even if you lake the needed proof, they can confiscate your CDRs and more. But if your under the idea they wont bat an eye lid your mistaken.

I always ended up chatting to them about download sites, so they probably realised that I knew about most of the legal ones. Plus, if they ever did ask, I'd be able to provide receipts anyhow.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:39 pm
87%