Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Time to become legitimate... - Page: 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This is some information i have gathered from the MCPS - I will look to gather more/up-to-date Information to add to this topic...

Am I allowed to copy my own CD’s at home for personal use?

No, any copy of a musical work, without the relevant licence is an infringement of copyright and therefore illegal, even if only for personal use.

I am a Karaoke / Disco DJ and don’t want to take my original discs to the venue in case they get damaged – can I make copies to take / play copies from the hard drive of my laptop?

Again, no. These copies will be infringing, and not only are you liable for copyright infringement but the venue’s PRS licence also becomes invalid as it does not cover infringing music.

What happens to music pirates?

The outcome varies from case to case depending on the severity of the crime; however the maximum penalty for copyright infringement is a 10 year custodial sentence. Trademark infringement is subject to the same maximum penalty.

Is MP3 legal?

MP3 as a format is not illegal; it is only illegal when used to compress music files that are under copyright. Without the permission from the copyright owner, or the correct licenses in place, making a copy of someone else’s work is illegal regardless of the format.

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:39 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I still havent actually heard of all these laws being enforced. I bet there heaps of people illegally playing music... Are the police going to turn up at your gig and demand that you present all your music is legally purchased and that your entitled to continue playing?..... dont think so.

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 3:11 am
l_rids wrote :
I still havent actually heard of all these laws being enforced. I bet there heaps of people illegally playing music... Are the police going to turn up at your gig and demand that you present all your music is legally purchased and that your entitled to continue playing?..... dont think so.

er, yeah. there's already people that do this. they aren't quite that harsh yet but that's the plan over the next few years. i found that they simply chat to you about where you get your music from, if you slip up they will probably ask you to present receipts for everything within a certain time...

but this topic isn't about that, it's about them turning up at your gig and stopping you playing if you use a laptop without a dj license. and yes, they will simply stop you from playing (which will make you look very unprofessional to the venue). although i'd imagine for a while (as not enough people have been made aware of this) they'd probably just let you off with a warning, and then they might check out you again a few weeks later.

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 5:44 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)