Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Roland 808 - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

I just bought the Roland 808 controller,when I plugged it in and started playing with it the music was playing through the speaker even the volume was off on the speakers,also when I tried to turn up the volume a little it was way too loud actually made the speakers distort. the speaker is set on line so I don't know what the problem is.

geposted Sat 02 Sep 17 @ 11:45 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Not sure what you mean by "speaker" and "set on line" or where was that connected to , but keep in mind that you need to connect your speakers to the Master Out of the Roland DJ808 since its working in "External" mixer mode as per the Audio Setup... http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808/setup.html

Also in External mixer mode, the VirtualDJ Master Volume knob will not affect output and in the default skins its not offered at all. The Master Volume knob of the DJ-808 is a hardware knob, controlling the overall audio output from the Master Output of the unit.

geposted Sat 02 Sep 17 @ 11:52 pm
Please give more information about "the speaker". What is the make and model?

From your comments, I would guess that it's something designed for home use (so would have 'consumer grade' line input).

The output of the DJ808 would be pro level, so would likely give the symptoms you describe.

Consumer level is -10dBV whereas pro level is +4dBu. There's almost 12dB difference between the two.

You either need to buy an attenuator or professional speakers.

geposted Sun 03 Sep 17 @ 7:37 am
groovindj wrote :

From your comments, I would guess that it's something designed for home use (so would have 'consumer grade' line input).

The output of the DJ808 would be pro level, so would likely give the symptoms you describe.

Consumer level is -10dBV whereas pro level is +4dBu. There's almost 12dB difference between the two.

I'm using qsc k10's

geposted Mon 04 Sep 17 @ 3:50 pm
have you tried to lower the gain on the back of the speakers?

geposted Mon 04 Sep 17 @ 3:58 pm
user8563809 wrote :
groovindj wrote :

I'm using qsc k10's
I upgraded from a ddj sr to the Roland 808 I'm just trying to get the specs right so I don't blow the speakers at work.

geposted Mon 04 Sep 17 @ 4:02 pm
My guess about the speakers was wrong then - the QSC's shouldn't be causing an issue with the levels.

Ideally you should have the gains on the QSC's centred at 0dB, then control the output level from the DJ808 master volume. Then as long as you keep the meters of the 808 at or below 0dB, you shouldn't experience any overload or distortion.

geposted Mon 04 Sep 17 @ 4:41 pm
no gain control on qsc speakers just volume. I never go past quarter on the volume dial. right know I have to go below. I went in configuration and changed zerodb to -12db just so I can play it might need a way to turn it down a little more.

geposted Tue 05 Sep 17 @ 1:16 am
user8563809 wrote :
no gain control on qsc speakers just volume

Well the pictures I looked at (both the original and mkII) had controls clearly marked GAIN, and nothing that said 'volume'.

The user manual also calls them (and pictures them as) gain controls.

geposted Tue 05 Sep 17 @ 4:57 pm
ok it's gain still can't use it because I'm barely putting up the gain and it's blasting. I can't change the gain in clubs. My ddj sr was plug in ready this is not. I've already lowered the zerodb to -12 and still can only put the master volume barely up.

geposted Tue 05 Sep 17 @ 7:21 pm
When you say "it's blasting" - are you using this at home or at a gig?

Also, what cables are you using to connect the 808 to your QSCs? What cables did you use with the SR?

If the SR cables were unbalanced then that would have meant a lower signal level into the QSCs compared to the 808 (if it's using balanced XLR cables).

The 808 lists its nominal output level in the manual, but the SR does not. However, I would suspect that maybe the SR was outputting less, for several reasons. The SR was only USB bus powered, whereas the 808 has a PSU. The SR is a cheaper, less professional unit.

The 808 is on a par with the speakers in terms of being professional kit, so a mismatch is unlikely.

If you're getting a green 'input level' light on the QSCs and no 'limit' light, then they're not being overloaded.

geposted Tue 05 Sep 17 @ 7:56 pm
I'm using xlr cables with the Roland I was using the same with the sr. Ive lowered the zerodb to -12db it helped if I could get it down more it would be perfect. Is there anything I can download to lower it more?

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 8:15 pm
user8563809 wrote :
I'm using xlr cables with the Roland I was using the same with the sr

No, the SR doesn't have XLR outputs.

You were either using RCA or jacks from the SR. If you're using the same cables for the 808 then you're either using the booth output (jack) or 'master out 2' (RCA).

If the cables have jacks at the controller end, are they balanced (i.e. TRS)?

Rather than struggling to get usable info from you, it would be much more helpful if you could post pictures of your setup. The cables you're using, where they're plugged into, a shot of the controller rear with the cables plugged in, a shot of the QSC rears with the cables plugged in, etc.

I fear that you've set something set up wrong, plugged into the wrong place or something, as it really shouldn't be causing this much trouble.

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 8:39 pm
sorry I meant 1/4 inch to xlr

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 8:45 pm
everything is plugged in correctly. plugged into master out using xlr cables

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 8:55 pm
I've already reinstalled the program with the same results. Does the Roland have more output power than the ddj sr?

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 8:57 pm

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 9:06 pm
mic light is not on

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 9:07 pm

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 9:11 pm
it's blasting at this level

geposted Thu 07 Sep 17 @ 9:28 pm
36%