Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Gain going through the roof - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

SPARKYPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hmmm....just downloaded VDJ 2.02 and I have a strange problem. The gain level on my MP3's goes anywhere from +10 right up to +60 and the sound gets really distorted upon mixing. I cannot use this at gigs as it's just too unpredictable. Any ideas?

I never had any problems with VDJ 2.00 or 2.01. I use the DJ Console and have disabled the auto gain feature in the FAME settings as well so I thought it should be okay - it's pretty scary when music is coming out and then it gains up to +60!

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 1:00 pm
Another weird thing is happening. When playing MP3's, the music sounds like it is constantly 'waving'. It's hard to explain but it's like the volume is rhythmically pulsing up and down so the music is slightly louder, then slightly quieter, then slightly louder again. The rhythm of this pulsing is about every 2 bars of the song and it sounds weird.

It's not all bad though as the mixing engine is much better, but I need help in addressing this or I'll have to go back to 2.01. Anyone else having this problem or know of a fix?

Thanks

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 1:50 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Have you enabled the "limiter" in the software?.

My guess is this is your problem, set an mp3 at the appropiate gain level, like minus 4 for example.

And enable the "limiter", I think upon the new version installing it turns off the limiter :).

Hope this solves your problem.

SPARKY, enter virtual dj chat.

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 1:53 pm
If anyone is reading this I have worked it out....just in case you get the same problem as me here is a possible solution for you:

I changed the USB cable from the Laptop to the DJ Console from the standard one to a USB 2 cable and these problems started....then I changed it back to the standard USB 1 cable and it was fixed.

Maybe there was a data overload to the console and it caused this problem (my guess anyway as the USB 2 cables are so much faster)

So if you lose your cable make sure you replace it with a USB 1 cable!

Maybe this will help someone, somewhere, sometime!

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 2:32 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
the waving problem is due to the limiter... however this only happens when the song is way over the normal recording level.

as to the gain problems i'd try rescanning (analyzing) your tracks (or just the problem ones) it is possable that the gain levels detected by vdj upon scanning have been currupted...

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 2:32 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
what do people recommend....

enabling auto gain and limiter?

or just auto gain

or just limiter?

I've noticed that when i have auto gain and limiter both on that i get that waving effect on some trax as well.... but if i turn the limiter of and just have auto gain that some traxs seem quieter....i have scanned all my tax with mp3 gain and have them set at 92db

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 3:55 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have auto gain & limiter turnd on, and try to keep the gain at -0.5, never above, than of course I use an external mixer to correct the loudness of both inputs. Works for me ;)

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 4:01 pm
I set the first track i play at -3.5db,

and activate only auto gain, now all tracks will be at this volume,

i don't think the limiter is always good, i may be wrong,

finally i use a mixer to fine tune individual tracks but it's normally not needed.

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 4:45 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Autogain on - limiter off - level at -0.3db
and an external mixer on 0db

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 4:54 pm
thanks for the feedback.......when you say you set your first song at -3.5....do you set your song and then trun on the auto gain or does it not matter as long as the auto gain turned on.

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 4:59 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I put the first one at -0.3db and let autogain adapt the next ones.

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 8:42 pm
Is there a way to remap the gain to the volume button on the VDJ Console as this would be useful. You could adjust gain easily to correct any discrepencies with this rather than carefully pulling the mouse up and down on the screen!

I know you can remap but not being a genius, does anyone know of a step by step guide to doing this?

I never looked at gain before but it is really useful. VDJ just gets deeper and deeper the more you use it....:)

Can you adjust gain for mic only with the console as well 'cos on karaoke, you have to set the console to half volume with the mic turned right up for you to hear the vocals. This is no good so I was wanting to know if there was a way to increase the sensitivity of the hercules input. I use a Shure sm58 mic which is crystal clear. Maybe this is a low impedance mic which is why I am not getting the volume from it? Or can I boost the mic gain?

So many questions...thanks

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 8:48 pm
not sure about the mic questions (never use, sorry..)

but to address the question for the gain, well turn "auto gain on", and "limiter" off. load a track on the left desk and set the gain some where below 0db, tip:(the pionner skin allows you to notch it up or down with arrows which is far better than the mouse way).

I personally go for -3.5db but it's pure preference and depends on the setting/equipment you use.

load a song on the right desk and it will match the gain to the same level (although not always perfect, it is in most cases, use mixer gain on quiter/louder tracks).

if the gain doesn't adjust, i think 2.2 is different, you must right click on the gains in skin knob, then you'll see the figure match the other deck, so the whole session will now be at Xdb.

Hope this helps :)

p.s. I think this is the way to go rather than using it on the console, as it's potentially a dangerous "knob", which is best on a mixer, or the way i just described.

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 9:25 pm
Cheers Bagpuss - you have been helpful today! I do only use the original skin - I just feel comfortable with it (you know

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 9:44 pm
say the track on the left deck is -3.5db and i have autogain set.....and now lets say a load a song on the right deck that has been normalized to -1.0db.......will auto gain quiet the right track by -2.5 so they are both at -3.5 ??? or does it bring the level down to -3.5db which would actually be -4.5db because the track was below at -1db in the first place.

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 9:51 pm
I believe it decreases or increases according to where the songs gain is initially, so a song that has been recorded/encoded at -1db, would be read by virtual dj and be displayed at it's normal state.

if the auto gain feature needed to bring that down to -3.5db
to match, then it would decrease the level by -2.5db.

The software gain is accurate, but i'm not sure just how much that is so, but if it is 100% accurate then your levels should be level :).

And from my personal experience it's not an issue.

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 11:12 pm
I am really noticing this gain differential on VDJ 2.02.

It was never a problem before so maybe the new beat engine is causing a problem?

I don't wish to be be negative though as the VDJ team do an awesome job (the deeper you go into VDJ the more appreciation you have)

Maybe things just need ironing out as this thread seems to be causing much interest......

Thanks though VDJ team - you do an awesome job.....bet you wish you never got involved with Hercules 'cos their customer support is non existent.......are you making up for their lack of professionalism!!??

Customer support speaks volumes so THX!

So anyone else experiencing gain problems?

geposted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 11:56 pm
Just to clarify my problem, the sound 'pulsing' has gone after I changed the USB problem but the gain is everywhere - one minute the music is fine, next song real quiet, then real loud etc....

geposted Wed 08 Sep 04 @ 12:00 am
Sparky, if you have msn my adress is in my profile,
always pleased to help :).

geposted Wed 08 Sep 04 @ 10:54 am
you could use an app like mp3gain to set all your tracks to the same 'average' volume level.

geposted Thu 09 Sep 04 @ 6:22 pm
80%