Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Club Mixing - Page: 3

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

The following Club DJing experience actually happened to me years ago:

A person who heard one of my recorded mixes through a mutual friend invited me to be a guest DJ at a club; I definitely accepted the invitation. I assumed that the crowd at this club wanted to hear the same kind of music that the person who invited me heard in my recorded mix. Consequently, I didn’t follow the first phase of Club Mixing—The Preparation Phase. Unfortunately, I was in for the shock of my DJ life!

When I arrived at the club with the mutual friend, I met the regular DJ and the person who invited me. I made arrangements with the regular DJ when and how I would start my performance. After checking the equipment and doing a quick set, I let the regular DJ get things going. As soon as he played several songs, I knew I had the wrong music. His ideal of mixing was to occasionally scratch over a song.

Eventually, the regular DJ packed the floor. When the time came for me to perform, I thought that my better mixing skills would keep the people on the floor despite not having the right kind of music. I also felt that the other DJ’s uncreative mixing style would make it easier for me to please the people with my creative mixing. As soon as I put my first song on, the floor cleared. Despite my creative mixing, I could only get a few people back on the floor. As soon as the regular DJ started his next set, the floor became packed again.

When the club had emptied, the regular DJ told me how impressed he was with my mixing. However, I felt depressed because of the reaction I got from the crowd. I learned a very important lesson that night—MIXING SKILLS ARE NOT AS IMPORTANT AS MIXING THE RIGHT KIND OF MUSIC. You cannot take a crowd on an audio adventure if they are not willing to go; they will literally stay in their seats. What makes them leave their seats to explore the dance floor is the music, not the mixing. Therefore, make sure you are a properly prepared DJ by having music that will get the crowd to explore and adore the dance floor.

Double O

geposted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 1:14 pm
That's why its always goods to show up at the club a few times before you mix so you can get the feel of the music played there.

Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 5:05 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Interesting story... I will keep in mind this :)
I have never mixed in club alone. I was always just as introDJ before dance or rock groups.
Anyway, i have always only one task in our club. To make people dancing that they come to dance floor at the begining, not only when group is going to play.

Dj Nikki

geposted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 8:37 pm
@DJ White Devil

So true DJ White Devil. Another big mistake that I made was not reacting to the crowd. I was determined to mix what I had brought despite the crowds reaction. In retrospect, I should have borrowed some music from the regular DJ. I could have mixed some of his music with my music. The only way I got people on the floor was by playing one song that they liked (I was fortunate to have it). To stretch the length of the song so they would stay on the floor longer, I mixed it with another song that they didn’t like (which was 99.99% of the music I had). However, since I bounced back and forth between both songs, they stayed on the floor for that entire mix. Believe it or not, the person who invited me to DJ wanted me to come back. Unfortunately, we couldn’t agree on the money.

@Dj Nikki

I went to that club with the wrong music and more importantly—the wrong attitude. My only purpose for being there was to keep the crowd on the floor, not trying to impress them with my mixing. I hope that the experience I have shared will prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

Double O

geposted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 9:04 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Double O

Sorry to hear about that...sounds rather nasty.

Can i just say though that what you say is right. "You cannot take a crowd on an audio adventure if they are not willing to go..." and on that note, here's one of my stories:

I don't do clubs or anything (at least not yet)...mostly functions. Anyway, i was playing recently in a hotel to my home town's ice hockey team for their 'Player Of The Year' award party. I arrived at the gig and started of with my usual playlist (just a general mix of up to date stuff with some party stuff slapped in there) and as they all arrived they're up checking out my setup with VDJ and all that...so that's a good start (don't you just love it when they do that and they're all like "wow, cool man!"). Anyway, i started doing my thing and playing some right good party tunes for everyone, from the 60's right up to date and alot of good old dancy music to try and get them up. But would they??? No way!!! Seemed no matter what i played no one would get up. Now, this place can hold a couple of hundred people. It's not full, but it's busy enough. So, i'm playing away and still nothing.

Time for plan b. I stick on my dance mix and get the cordless mic out and i'm down there egging the people out of their seats for the dances. Nope, still nothing. Played the dance mix and a few more classic tunes and they just sat there. A few folks did get up, but only really the ones requesting the tunes.

So i'm a bit disheartened and then to top it all off, they all start leaving just after 11!!!! I'm booked till one o'clock so i'm cranking it a bit louder and playing more dance tunes...nope. Nothing except from a chosen few dancers got up. And i MEAN a chosen few!!!

So anyway, the guy who's having the party says, 'listen mate, you can kill it at twelve if you want'. Well, hardly an ego boost to say the least. At the end of the night there was about 20 folks left!!!

However, on a positive note. It turns out there was some alterior motive to the night. Apparently they were all moving on to another night elsewhere, and they had to be there early. Ok, fair enough. Next to that, the place was maybe slightly dominated by guys. Maybe it's just me, but are guys less likely to dance that women??? I think so.

So anyway, time is called on the night and to say the very least i'm slightly embarrased. There's nothing worse than getting asked to finish up early. But one thing i did learn that night was that it's not your fault man. I mean, ok, if you don't know the music, if you're not a good dj, not good with the crowd, don't 'feel' the music and don't know what's coming next then you can expect people to be less interested than a dj who can take you on that journey, but at the end of the day (or night, in our case), some people just aren't interested.

Bottom line is it's not always the DJ's fault. And on that note, i always try to take a positive thing out of a gig. And the most important thing is not to get too disheartened about it. If you do, you'll end up with a real complex about it...and worry about it every time you gig...which will just bring you down.

I always think to myself in these situations - "if you didn't come here to have a good time and get up there and dance, what the hell did you come here for?!?!?!?"

It's a dirty business, the music business.

Cheers

P

geposted Thu 09 Jun 05 @ 11:47 pm
Thanks for sharing your experience Pionara. We can all learn from each other. My experience is very different than yours. You were DJing at a special event, so you weren’t sure what you should play. All I had to do was visit the club in advance to find out what to play. I could have also asked the person who invited me. You were prepared to play a variety of music since you didn’t know what to expect. I assumed that I knew what to expect and didn’t bring a variety of music. You played a variety of music to find out what would get the crowd on the floor. I witnessed the regular DJ pack the floor with a certain type of music, and I still played different music. You focused on pleasing the crowd with music. I focused on pleasing the crowd with mixing.

In short, the “nasty” aspect of my experience was my attitude. I was totally inconsiderate to the needs of the crowd. Although I found out that I had the wrong kind of music, my attitude was that my mixing skills would still put the people on the floor. I wasn’t thinking about what the crowd wanted to hear, I was thinking about myself. If I had a different attitude that was more considerate to the crowd, I would have asked the regular DJ for some music. The point is that the music pleases the people, not the mixing. Mixing is a tool that good DJs use to enhance the club experience.

Double O

geposted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 4:20 am
Hey Djs, really sorry to hear the bad experiences...i have been DJing at partys too, but most of the time it was packed with my buddies and they all loved the mixes. even though i was dissapointed with it...
anyways guys, i just thought of the post by Pionara.."...What the hell have you come here for????"
for that, i have a really cool solution. I found this really crazy sample at my friends pc.
it goes this way : "If you're not here to dance... What the F**K have you come here for!"
I found a way to use this sample over some really cool dance mixes and people just start to smile and look at each other and come ou to the dance floor!
Peace and Happy DJing
Adi

geposted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 5:19 pm
I've had similar experiences as the ones listed above.

My first one was my first night for a 5 star hotel (Chateau Laurier for those of you who know the place in Ottawa) I came all prepared, brought all the music they wanted and I started playing it. Some guy comes up to me and asks me to play "fun" music. I don't know what "fun" music is unless he's talking about the chicken dance or something along those lines. I asked him what "fun" music was and he told me that its the stuff you hear in clubs and on the radio.

So I stop mixing 70s disco (which is what the organizers asked me to play) and I go into some club. Still no one would dance but a select few. I finished the night at the time they chose (2:00AM) and the next year they hired another DJ that apparently was even worst.

They called me back for a 2nd tryout a year later and I kept the floor packed from 8:00pm until 4:00am and they told me to shut the music off even when the floor was still packed. I would have to say that it really depends on the crowd you get. look at the age of people and match the music to what you think they would enjoy most and play around the ages in the room.

I would often just cut mix my songs even when they weren't beatmatched and they didn't seem to care. Its not always about HOW you mix but more then ever what songs you play.

Now I have a contract with this 5 star hotel and do their christmas and newyears eve party each year. (Yes I've met a bunch of celebrities at some of these parties) Even some of the presidents show up on the dance floor. (I guess they need to let lose once in a while too hehe)

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 6:19 pm
DJ_whiteDVL: "I would often just cut mix my songs even when they weren't beatmatched and they didn't seem to care. Its not always about HOW you mix but more then ever what songs you play."
This is exactly what i found out. I went to this club the other day, and was just snooping around the DJ booth, not letting anyone know that i DJ too...and guess what, the DJ is using a cracked version of VDJ and the most ridiculuous thing is that he is also using Windows Media Player to fill in during the time he searches for the songs in VDJ (HAHAHAAHA, sorry but its really funny...) He even played entire songs till they would stop! i just couldnt stand there, but watch the people dance on the floor....sad but true...people want the music...not the mix.
DJ adi

geposted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 7:45 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm just back from a gig (21st) and what a gig it was...:o)

Great crowd...although not much dancing. So i once again get the cordless mic out and get down there to get them up dancing. I'm sure that does the trick.

Still, when the dancing stops and i retire to my booth...the floor goes quiet. I wonder if it's a persona thing??? You carry the crowd and they travel with you.

S'all very weird to me...:o|

Anyway, Double O, i read your post with interest. I suppose that the GOOD thing that's come out of this is that you've realised something about what you had done and are now changing the way you play...or at least perhaps your outlook on it. This can only make one a far better performer if you ask me. You are so right in what you say about pleasing the crowd.

You can always admire a man who admits he made a mistake...so for that, i salute you!!!

I'd be interested to hear your sample djaditya...sounds cool...

I reckon people who ain't out to have a good time should stay in their bedroom!!!

It's a shame that the only people who recognise good dj talent (at least on a technical knowledge and mixing level) tend to be other dj's, ain't it??? All those folks who are there for the music probably wouldn't know a bad mix if they heard one...and the only person a good mix pleases is one's self!!!

As i said before, it's a dirty business the music business, and now i add...but the best business in the world...;o)

P

geposted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 2:46 am
This is an interesting thread with good information. I have been playing on the radio, both internet and FM, here in California for almost 5 months now, and I really want to play in clubs.

Most clubs here are specialized in one type of music or another, which is perfect for me, as I'm only interested in playing Trance and there's no way in hell I would play Hip-Hop.

The one thing I'm wondering is, how do you get in touch with the right person in the clubs, that will actually take time to review your resume and listen to your demo ? I know by experience that if you don't actually talk to the right person, your stuff doesn't even get looked at and most of the time the person in charge of picking the DJs is not even aware you ever "applied"...

Also, I know quite a few trance DJs around here, but it seems to me that asking them to introduce you to that right person to talk to would actually be a threat to their own spot in the club, so why would they want to help you ?

geposted Sat 09 Jul 05 @ 4:09 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My personal theory on the matter, is that I don't want to be secound best, no one does, it's horrible when someone is better than you at something, and you are chasing behind them in a pursuit of becoming greater at something.., this is why we all normally choose hobbies we find ourselves good at..

But even within mixing, and you'll never be the 'best', as it's an entirely relative factor, and imo it isn't all together good to be extreme in something, and those best DJ's in the world are really living for it, putting it first, listening to music all day and night, and mixing it, most of us aren't willing to do that, and we don't all want the life that goes with it.., even if we did, the road to the being the 'best' would be a hard and seemingly impossible one..

I don't want to be the best, and I doubt I ever could be.., but with the free time I have to mix, I like it to be productive and useful time spent, so that I may become the best that I can be, with the the time contraints i've got..

What I have done, is found the styles that I enjoy most (all sub genres to house), and then, literally aim to 'nail' that style, search and find all the best tracks, learn them 200%, mix them, memorise which songs fit best to which, and feel those songs, so that your mixing makes music (harmonic), rather than just aiming to match beats...

So you have your style, you have GREAT tracks, and you can mix them awsomely.

Then, find a venue that is suited to your style, where your music will be loved by as many people as possible (including the owner/manager).

Then, you wont feel secound best..,ever.

Bagpuss, advise to those in learning (that never stops for any of us, or at least it shouldn't)

;).

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 1:15 am
Bagpuss,

I totally agree with you. That is why I only play trance and vocal trance only, nothing else. I started mixing because I loved trance, not to make money, not to become famous, but because I love and breathe this music.

I developped my own style and so far haven't found one person, DJ or not, not liking it. They enjoy my selection of tracks and my mixing technique. I play on both FM radio and internet radio and always get good feedback. A lot of people have asked me when I will start playing in a club, so I'd like it to be my next step.

I'm just wondering how to get in touch with the right person in a club to even have a remote chance of being considered.

geposted Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 4:59 pm
dj_soulHome userMember since 2005
hi everybody club mixing very good you are a good man thank you

geposted Tue 12 Jul 05 @ 10:49 pm
hope to see you as a full user soon dj_soul ;)

the cracked version 2.05 is outdated and no good :)

geposted Wed 13 Jul 05 @ 4:25 am
Djaditya: “....sad but true...people want the music...not the mix” (quote taken from the 4th post on this page).

Most people in the club do not value mixing the same way a DJ does. The majority of them don’t care if the music they want to hear is beatmixed, scratched, looped, etc…. Their only concern is that the music gets played! That’s why I shared a past club mixing experience that changed my perspective of Club Mixing forever (read the 11th post on page 3 of this thread).

Double O

geposted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 5:51 pm
Agree ;) But you can reach better effect to people on dance floor if you mix 2 songs that people like, together, rather than you just start second song when first finish.
It's not everything in music ;) I have sets every saturday from 10 to 11.30 pm in our club. It is much different if you beatmix second song or just start it.

Dj Nikki

geposted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 10:46 pm
i work in big clubs in greece

geposted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 2:24 am
in thesaloni to the lido club

geposted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 2:24 am
@johnysger
Do you work with demo?!

geposted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 7:08 pm
14%