Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Acer Aspire One and RMX

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Ok so after doing a Beta test on the Lenovo version of this computer I wondered what it would be like to use this with the RMX. Taking advantage of my birthday I was able to get the rest of the funds to actually buy the Acer Aspire One at my local Fry's with reservations at first of course ;). A PC at this price point could not have a lot of expectation but I was wrong. First off this is what I am coming from:

Thermaltake LANbox with Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz and 2 gigs of RAM...obviously good enough to run VDJ 5 but such a hassle to load and setup with monitor, keyboard, external trackball....Yes I do have a laptop but I'm a firm believer in field replaceable units which is why I originally went with the mATX form factor. It took some getting used to but I found out that VDJ runs just fine as long as you take the necessary precautions. Mind you my mATX is only used for DJ\'ing... having said that I popped the Acer One out of the box and immediately installed the drivers and VDJ and not surprisingly got disappointed when I tried mixing between two decks, I was getting CPU spikes and latency. Unwilling to give up I was able to find the optimal operating level after a few hours of real tinkering and here is what I came up with that made this little gem play seemlessly:

1. Optimize for performance
* Remove any unecessary software, this includes antivirus, office applications, other preloaded BS that comes with this (keep in mind that this is a DEDICATED dj computer only so you don\'t need the extras to bog the CPU.
*Run all windows updates and download the latest software drivers from Hercules.
2. Must do\'s
*Right click on \'My Computer\' click on the \"Advanced\" tab -->\"Performance\" and then \"Settings\", and then choose \"Adjust for Best Performance\"
*Click on the \"Advanced Tab\" and then choose \"Background Services\" under \"Processor Scheduling\" and \"System Cache\" under \"Memory Usage\"
*Click \"apply\" and then \"restart\" for changes to take effect. What this will do is free up CPU processing for VDJ rather than allocating some to idle processes. Don't forget to run a disk defrag after restarting.

Here it is in action:

This is bone stock with:
160 GB hard drive
1 gig of preinstalled RAM.

Yes the limitations on this system is 1.5 gigs of RAM...but the upside is that it runs fine without the extra RAM. Just this afternoon I ordered a 512 533mhz RAM upgrade from newegg for 7.99!
On Thursday I will be following the instructions on this site to install it:
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/08/29/how-to-add-ram-to-the-acer-aspire-one-netbook/

After I install it and test I'll try and post another write up.

geposted Tue 12 May 09 @ 8:20 pm
i run a aspire one (8gig ssd ver, upgraded to 1.5gigs of ram) with a bcd3000 with two vinyl timecodes, and it runs perfect
vdj is installed on the main drive and all my music is on a 8gig high speed sd card in the expantion slot.
it dosent run video, and prelisten is a bit flaky, but everything else works perfect, i even use a nanopad for effects and looping

geposted Wed 13 May 09 @ 12:54 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Dude, that candle on the left is rockin :)

I tried VDJ on an Aspire One and the HDJC, I could play avi/mpg videos, just not mp4. MP4 uses way to much resources.

-DJ Kavika

geposted Thu 14 May 09 @ 8:15 am
Hey Dj Kavika thanks! Yeah I always do my work in front of the TV on the coffee table (wife's decor yada yada). I noticed that too with anything other than mp3. I wouldn't run video AND sound on the Aspire One...you can only stretch it out so much for the price. Taking it apart wasn't too bad...I used my credit card to remove the bezels without chipping or cracking them. Have a great weekend!

geposted Fri 15 May 09 @ 10:57 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)