Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Problem with the GAIN KNOBS on VDJ 6 - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

vjtrePRO InfinityMember since 2008
OK, so I download the new version of VDJ (version 6) and while the auto mix when set to smart seems to be fixed, I’m noticing other problems and or issues.

The main thing is on the gain knobs. I have most of my videos set between 1.0dB – 1.2 dB. That seems to be a good setting for my videos. I’ve also noticed that while all of my videos are set in that range, the gain knobs are different for each video. Sometimes they are set in the center, sometimes increased a little more (more to the right) and sometimes a little less (more to the left) but they all sound like they are on the same level, so I didn’t think too much of it. However, now with version 6 installed, while my videos are still set around 1.0dB, when I load up some of the videos the gain knob is turned all the way to the right at its maximum so that I can’t turn it up anymore. What’s up with that??????????

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 7:12 am
mp3jackPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I noticed this also with just regular music loading. I was thinking it might be a way to normalize the source audio?

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 9:39 am
I had smart on and they played low and even turning the gain knob up didn't do anything untill I reverted back to disable.

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 1:44 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote :
I had smart on and they played low and even turning the gain knob up didn't do anything untill I reverted back to disable.

I'm still a pretty new user so, not to sound dumb but, what do you mean "until you reverted back to disable"? Did you do something and did it fix it?

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 3:20 pm
Is anyone else having an issue with the gain knobs with VDJ 6? I'm using the Full Video Skin.

geposted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 7:30 pm
Same here. Similar to mp3jack.

mp3jack wrote :
I noticed this also with just regular music loading. I was thinking it might be a way to normalize the source audio?

Made a test run at the club last night and continually had to deal with adjusting the gain and volumes because for the most was very sporadic and not consistent.

geposted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 7:57 pm
I have noticed that they are not as stable as before.

Thinking I may go back to Version 5.

How do you do that?

Thanks

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 2:08 am
UGH! This is what I feared. I hate having to go back to Version 5 because of the Auto Beat Mix problem when it is set to SMART. Not that I used it that much but is sure comes in handy for early and late hours (I have a long shift - close to 8 hours). But as I was going thru more videos last night, I came across videos that I played last week and they were fine (as far as the gain being set to around 1.0 dB) but now some are coming up much lower, even as low as -5.5dB but the gain knob is turned all the way to the max and it won't allow me to turn it up - GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! NOT GOOD.

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 7:20 am
DanceHost wrote :
I have noticed that they are not as stable as before.

Thinking I may go back to Version 5.

How do you do that?

Thanks

Before I installed version 6 I saved a copy of version 5 in the same folder (my documents) (although I think I read somewhere on here that somebody said to save it to a different directory) but anyway, so I have mine saved but I haven't gone back to try and use it yet. I certainly will test it out tonight when I get home because I can't have this gain knob issue at the club this weekend - just when I had most of my videos set ... this is so frustrating.

Oh, did you check your download center Dance Host? Version 5 should still be in there.

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 7:24 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Some of the advancements in v6 include 2 different GAIN modes. Gain and Power Gain. With past versions there were concerns, so with v6 the top-shelf for GAIN was changed to +7.5db, while POWER GAIN uses a top-shelf of +30db (not that you should ever need that much). And the bottom shelf of both gain options is -30db.

While all sliders and encoders in v6 the control for all settings are based on 100% scale. Where 50% (center point of encoder/slider) would be 0.0db.

How does this translate to the GAIN? Using the GAIN structure of -30db to +7.5db (37.5db total range). With the Auto GAIN option set to Disabled, every track loaded will have the Gain knob stay at Center (50%) and utilize the natural gain level of the track. So you can apply an additional +7.5db if you go right (50-100% values) or cut the gain up to -30db if you go left (50%-0% values). So cutting Gain is more aggressive and applying gain is a more fine adjustment. Using POWER GAIN the precision of adjust is equal in cutting or applying gain since the range is -30db to +30db.

With the Auto GAIN option enabled in VirtualDJ, set to Auto or Auto+Remember; when VirtualDJ adjusts the Gain to achieve a consistent 0.0db these adjustment will be reflected on the skin's starting position for the GAIN knob. So if VirtualDJ had to apply +7.5db or more of Gain to achieve a 0.0db level then the GAIN headroom has already been achieved and the GAIN knob will reflect 100%.

To utilize the POWER GAIN range, the skin must utilize the 'power_gain' action and not the 'gain' action. Using a text editing program like WordPad (TextEdit for Mac) to modify the XML associated with a skin; search for the word 'gain' and change it to 'power_gain'. It is recommended you not use the "Replace All" feature. Use the 'Find' to locate the appropriate [ action="deck 1 gain" or action="deck 2 gain" ] entries and modify the action 'gain'

I hope this helps in understanding the NEW v6 Gain structure and how you can implement the one best for you.

Chris
VirtualDJ Team

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 7:50 am
Hi,

wouldn't it make more sense for vdj to apply the auto gain, and then set the knob to the centre position? So then no matter how much auto gain has been added, we can still add the extra 7.5dB or reduce by 30dB if we want to for some reason?

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:32 am
andytaylor125 wrote :
Hi,

wouldn't it make more sense for vdj to apply the auto gain, and then set the knob to the centre position? So then no matter how much auto gain has been added, we can still add the extra 7.5dB or reduce by 30dB if we want to for some reason?

Well that is where the concern was in past versions, was that once VDJ applied gain, people would turn it up more and get immediate distortion. So with the change in v6, we feel its a more safe control to avoid this situation and provided the prior method as an alternative.

Typically these situations only occur with people that don't apply a little bit of care in their tracks by normalizing their tracks externally to VirtualDJ to 0.0db before ever using them. For people that take that care then, Yes; 50% should be 0.0db whether you use the Disabled or Auto features.

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:55 am
Okay, thanks for the reply. Always interesting to hear the thought behind what goes into these things. :)

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 11:25 am
i also have had a few volume issues with the new VJ6..one came out at -2.2 and i couldnt raise the volume on it whatsoever

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 11:29 am
cstoll!

Thanks for the reply! I'm not home yet so I haven't been able to check this out but this is the gist of what I got from your reply. It sounds like when I was using version 5, my auto gain must have been set to disable because every time a video would load, it would be set to 0.0dB and then I would adjust the video accordingly. I never knew about auto gain being either disabled or enabled, I just assumed all the video came out at 0.0 - then you adjusted them and the next time you played the video it would remember it from the last time you played it.

So now I'm trying to understand, what do I need to do with version 6 to get that back? Last week I played a video and I had set it at my usual 1.0dB, but when I loaded it the other night when I was testing out the new version, it loaded at something like -5.5dB and the volume was all the way to the max and it would not allow me to turn it up any higher. Does that mean that VDJ is reading the video and it thinks that is the best setting for the video?

When I was using version 5, even though I had most of my videos set around the same range (between 1.0 and 1.2) I did notice that the gain knob was not set in the same place as all the videos, they were all a little different. I have some older rockamerica DVDs that I know the input level is nowhere near the Promo Only DVDs, but ... it was never to the point that the older files were all the way to the max when I adjust them, they may have been a more to the right (increased from the middle) but never to the max.

Seems like there should be a way to adjust all the videos at once to 0.0 - even though that too would be a pain in the ass (since I had most of them set already) at least it's better than what is happening now. I'm scared to play Saturday with version 6 because of this.

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 12:27 pm
vjtre -- are you using the new V6 skins ?

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 1:12 pm
I'm using this skin:

VirtualDJ:FullVideo

That's the one I like

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 3:09 pm
Is there VDJ built-in protection from viruses with Net Search?

Thanks, DH

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 7:38 pm
DanceHost wrote :
Is there VDJ built-in protection from viruses with Net Search?

Thanks, DH

Do not post in every thread your question ... post it once in a single thread and leave it.

Thank you.

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:22 pm
Thought I had deleted it here when I realized I was at the wrong place but your system apparently didn't delete it.

I really am not that stupid.

Please delete it for me.

Would appreciate an answer 'though.

Thanks, DH

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 11:19 pm
63%