Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Harmonics.......please - Page: 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

DJ Andre Landry: "Mmmmmmmm maybe you should also get on the radio..show them also the difference,i am."

I wasn't sure after I added my comments to this thread at first if Andre was speaking about the Radio station. I thought that I had jumped the gun. With that we don't want to give the other 54 DJs on VDJ Radio the impression that they are not as good or can't mix. I have heard and listen everyday at work, I am a Manager and can do that :), to great beatmixed mixes. Beatmixing is very important to the House and Techno genre but again it is not the only way. As a beatmixer myself, I am all for it but also understanding that others who have a different style may feel different. And understanding the differences, we have to accept it and not frown upon it. Also the most important thing to remember is that we are not trying to please all the DJs of the world, just the ones who are dancing...

Great mixing....

MS

geposted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 5:06 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
DJ Andre Landry & all:

I think the problem with poor mixes stems from a significant proportion of the virtual dj market, that's not my way of saying the users of virtual dj can't mix or that the programme doesn't allow it, but the programme has various aids, obvious ones like waveform and bpm detection, and not so obvious ones like sort by bpm or just the fact that music is easy to find, all this makes it easyer, and or quicker to mix, while this is all good and nice to have, you get some negative consequences in regard to mixing quality such as:

1) too much help makes dj's lazy.
2) the programme attracts wannabe dj's who want to mix without the 'skill' element.
3) the programme attracts people who want to learn with virtual dj (this is a good thing)
4) now almost anyone can be a dj, problem is, many of the talentles are having the top jobs.

and the programme is also 'abused' (imo) because you CAN mix faster doesn't mean you HAVE to mix faster, too many people are playing their tunes for a too shorter time because they are not manually mixing, so they get bored and auto mix out of the song, I was in one club about 2 months ago, the dj was useing atomixmp3, he mixed out of a great song before the intro had finished!.., and other such 'stunts'.

that said, I don't want to lose sight of what dj'ing is about: Music, Fun and lastly an Art. But needless to say no one wants a 'joker' playing at a club after they've payed good money to get in!.

as for the harmonics, we'll like I said on the new features forum, A key detection feature would be welcomed by all and definately the right direction to go in, this will help eliminate the 'key clashers'.

But I am in the category that Rune made reference to, I do it without even giving it a thought!, And if the harmonics aren't there (but the song you choose is best for the occasion) then simply mix during a drum part, or perform a bass switch on a drum and bassline part, also a bit of vocal overlap on the intro to the new song shouldn't make the mix go sour, every 2 songs are an individual case, however if you fear a severe clash in mixeing opt for another mix option,

You wont get carried out the club by the bouncers if you perform a backspin, a smooth fade, or a 'trick' to help you like effects or samples, but keep such mixes as humble as possible, try not to draw particular attention to your mix. The point is Music first, Fun secound, art last (in most cases), that should be your priority, also don't forget that part of the fun factor is in making mistakes, So enjoy it, it's not a life or death situation!..

Regards, Bagpuss (sorry for long post)

geposted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 5:55 pm
@ Bagpuss
I don't agree with NOTHING that you said...

Because it makes too much sense. Shame on you! :)

Well put!

Lets have fun but please practice too.

MS

geposted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 6:02 pm
Thanks for the very useful info dj-in-norway and DJ Andre Landry.

OO

geposted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 6:44 pm
And Bagpuss for the awesome conclusion of it all ;) well said my man :)

geposted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 8:42 pm
I posted this when i was listening to a local dj in Montreal it has nothing to do with the djs on VDJ radio.....
All i was stating is as per request to give an example(Gnoedel) and Vdj radio is a good way to listen
i do practice what i preach
i dont expect djs to jump on this bandwagon instantly.....mix always perfect mixes
but i try everytime and helping new djs out with this concept is my goal
It was meant to help.....thats all
Regards
Andre

geposted Thu 31 Mar 05 @ 12:47 am
@ Andre
I guess that I took the radio references as VDJ radio and not local radio. I do apologize about that. I didn't have then nor do I have now any ill feelings towards you. As I told you before I think that you are a great DJ and very experienced.
So again my bad. I guess I felt alittle horrible about such a bad time that I had the other night.

Peace out...

MS

geposted Thu 31 Mar 05 @ 3:42 am
Oh i remember now...... well guess what dude i fell asleep so whatever happened that night is irrelevant to meh
Anyway i have heard you spin and as i also told you it was good i enjoyed it
Its all good ....dont worry about it...
Best Regards
Andre

geposted Thu 31 Mar 05 @ 3:53 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Nice one guys, it's an interesting topic, my comments were towards dj's in general too, but also made my point on the side effects of software use too.

keep up the good work brothers..

geposted Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 4:10 pm
LOL......i like the lazy dj one!!!

geposted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 6:26 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You can call me lazy any day. I switched to virtualdj for the simple reasons that I don't have to do much to create a simple mix.

But the whole story of adding the harmonic feature to vdj I think will kinda take the fun out of mixing... Trying to pick that best song that matches etc I thought was total essence of being a good dj... With vdj telling you what song matches wat, soon enough you'll find people mixing the same tunes and you'd be able to predict what song they might play next!

geposted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 6:49 am
hmmm.... actually a good point

but key detection is just there to help, aid your mixes
to any song there is a BUNCH of other songs, and other keys that will fit :)
Its NOT like a formula for what comes next
not at all ;)

You are still mixing just like you used to, as creative as you used to... It will just be an extra aid, a tool, a feature... and it will just tell you what you are probably hearing anyway.. that when u are trying to mix a song, its in harminics (u use the song) or not (you choose another song).

It will probably not make any difference for you....

But maybe usefull for others... still, its not like a formula. There are MANY songs that goes well with any other song :)

geposted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 7:59 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)