Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How reliable is your Virtual DJ? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

basemanPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I am looking to purchase a professional version of either VirtualDJ or Traktor which i've found to be the best 2. However an important issue is reliability, don't want crashes in the middle of a set!

After using VirtualDJ for 2 days i have had it fail on me a number of times whilst Traktor has never done this. I would actually prefer to buy VirtualDJ as it costs significantly less, however i would like some feedback from professional users that it is stable. It would also be interesting to find out if any users have converted from Traktor to VirtualDJ or vice verse.

Thanks for any advice.

geposted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 9:33 pm
paisanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Others have experienced crashes using time codes and it has been addressed in the next version coming out, but Ive had virtual DJ since April of last year (version 1.09) and I havent had a crash yet, even using my time code CD's.

geposted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 9:42 pm
I have no plans to use timecode, this is a replacement for the Technics because they take up too much space so hopefully i will have less issues. I will be using the software from a Toshiba M100 laptop, 1.1Ghz and 512mb Ram.

geposted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 10:05 pm
paisanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You shouldnt have any stability problems. Most of the people on these boards that have problems are using cracked/illegal versions, or have a demo and expect the demo to perfrom with all of the functions of the full version.

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 12:22 am
Well about the problems many full version users have: Yes VDJ has a few bugs, yet what software doesn't? this is why updates have always existed so they can fix these issues.

Time coded CDs, Vinyl as well as the crashing I am sure will eventually get fixed. 2.07 according to the support staff seems to have fixed and added a number of things to aid the use of VDJ with external devices. I remember seeing a post about the differences between Tracktor and VDJ somewhere on the forums although can't remember exactly where, maybe that can help you out in making a decision.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 12:35 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I came from Traktor to VDJ.

Traktor is more stable, but I still prefer VDJ because of the added functionality and ease of use.

VDJ *does* crash for some people (me being one of them) but it probably isn't as bad as it seems on these forums. Actually, the stress from the fear of a crash is worse than any stress I've gotten from the crash itself. The crashes are rare, but then again, it only takes one at the wrong time to totally botch your set or cost you that next gig.

If you've only had the software for a few days, don't assume that your machine will continue to crash as it has already. This is a very intensive program and requires a powerful and clean machine to work to its fullest. Most of the credible posters speaking of the crash problems have already cleaned their machines, reinstalled windows, gotten new drivers, etc etc. Until you do these things, don't sweat the crashes.

If you are one of the unlucky few that still gets a crash now and then after optimizing your machine, it won't take you long before you learn what mostly causes it and how to avoid it. I know that might seem like a cop out and a pain in the butt, but believe me that after you dig a bit deeper into VDJ and get comfortable with it, you'll be much happier using VDJ and dodging its few idiosyncracies rather than a rock solid Traktor...at least I am.

Also, as you say, the dev team is speaking optimistically about fixing the crashes in this upcoming patch.

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 3:35 am
never had any problems with vdj.. seriously! not saying so because I'm a team member.

I use VDJ at gigs, 3 times a week, no problems what so ever

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 4:55 am
It seems that i've had bad luck at my first attempt of using the software. I realise that something this complex may experience the odd problem and that i can cope with. Hopefully support will come up with a solution for the problems i'm having and i can get this thing running stable. Obviously it can run stable otherwise you wouldn't all be using it :)

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 5:05 am
Stable here also .......since October 2004 ...nada
i use tcv also with Ozone controller,dj console
Play 3 times a week in the club
All good

Do a search for specific problems
Tweak your PC
Get to know the program.......
Regards
Andre

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 4:22 pm
Stable for me...last Saturday we played a gig for 8 hours straight. My laptop did lock-up, but it was because of moisture on a cd given to us by a friend (it was outside, that sucks.)...and VDJ kept going! It was close to the end of the song and I freaked! Pulled the cd out and windows recovered without missing a beat. Sick!

Also we practice and play quite a bit, and never locks up.

Break.

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 5:35 pm
arjunaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Always stable on Win2k for me. I do a straight 4h mix twice a week and VDJ never crashes!

Ciao!! :)

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 5:47 pm
@ baseman

This goes for the full version - that is now at 2.06

The "older" console version (1.09) have not evolved to the stability and bug fixes that the full version have...

I did not have any problems with 1.09 - BUT, there is for sure made a BUNCH of fixes to every version that came after that

If you dj professionally at gigs, I would STRONGLY suggest you get the full version :)

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 5:54 pm
Is anyone using the software with DJ Console that can say it works stable with that. I know it probably sucks compared with XP10 but they are a bit pricey. I now i have version 2.05 of the demo up and running and it has been ok for the past hour, will give it another few hours then im sold :)

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 6:11 pm
You will probably find the "demo" a lot better.... and become a full member, that gives you access to all effects, free updates and upgrades and more....

please do remember, that cracked versions do have changed code, and can crash... where the full legal version would not

And, that cracked versions are often cracked demo version (time expire cracked), and the demo version have a lot of features disabled :)

Hopefully we will see you as a full member

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 8:21 pm
Well as you can see i have become a full member but there is no difference, software still crashes... will i get a refund if this cannot be sorted out?

Incase anyone can offer some suggestions here's my setup.

VirtualDJ 2.06
Toshiba M100 Centrino 1.1Ghz Laptop
512Mb RAM
Windows XP Professional (SP2) fully up to date with windows updates.
DJ console with updated patched driver.

Within a few mins of playing the program freezes and plays a loop of music, cannot close the program unless i goto task manager. I had apprx 200mb RAM free when this happened. I dont think this is any issue with my laptop hardware, its brand new and i've used traktor successfully on it for hours within a single glitch.

Heeeeelp.

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 9:33 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Well, in general these kinds of crashes are linked with the DJ Console drivers or usb. Try to find the solutions in the previous posts. Everybody found a solution, so you should find it. I think processor 1.1 GHz is a little to load the songs but enough to work well so it's not the problem (I had a 700 MHz and it worked very well). Sure it's a problem of drivers or usb port. Otherwise, other idea, your hard disk is "defectuous". Have a look to see if it is hot. Try to divide your hard disk to share system (windows) from data (songs). For that 2 hard disk or to create 2 sharings.I always tell that because finally my hard disk with system "never" changes. Verify your hard disk is clean and be sure the file are continuous on the harddisk. In general, hard disk of people who download so much or with movies inside are very "dusty" and need to be cleaned.

Besides, it's better to write your computer config in your blog. Future answers will be faster if you do that

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 11:00 pm
Does it crash with the same songs all the time or any song?
You should be fine with those specs
We will try and find your problem....
Andre

geposted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 11:57 pm
Thanks guys, ill sort out my blog shortly. Like i said before it is a new laptop so i wouldnt expect it to be too messed up, i removed a lot of the factory install that was on, done a defrag etc. Im wondering if it may be something to do with the Centrino power saving features, just trying to find out how to remove them all. I must solve this problem because the software is just so damn amazing when it does work. Luckily i have a lot of patience :)

geposted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 12:34 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Patience and with our help (and our patience too lol) always pay, trust me

geposted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 12:49 am
Whooo hoooo problem solved (i hope). It seems the fault was caused by the Speedstep technology technology which is probably found on most Centrino laptops. I set this to a fixed state and it seems the problem has gone.

So to summarize for anyone in future who has random lockups/freezes and has a Centrino laptop running XP, heres how to solve it. All these settings will probably be found in Control Panel.

1. Speed Step: Alters the CPU speed depending on what application your using in order to obtain maximum battery life. (Obviously not good whilst playing multiple mp3s) - Disable it or select fixed.

2. Power Save Properties: Mine has a separate application from XPs own power saving features. Load up and select to run Full Power/High Power or Presentation mode. Say bye bye to the 7 hours battery life thou!

3. Disabled screen saver (found in display)

4. Enabled best performance (In System/Advanced/Performance)

I know there is another post which covers most of these settings and more but the speed step was never mentioned, so i hope it will one day save someone a lot of time.

Now thats it working ok im completely amazed how good this software is. Im an oldschool Technics turntable man so this new method had a lot to live up to, and well it has exceeded my expections. Good job guys.

geposted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 2:21 am
48%