Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 13

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

cstoll wrote :
What issues??

If anything there are hardware design 'opinions' - but there are no functional issues when using it with VirtualDJ.

Microphone channel sensitivity/distortion problems
Headphone Cue button issues
Pitch wheel catching

.........yes, I really did read the whole thread! There are some who have been meeting the AA rep to try and get things sorted and others have returned their units. Are these just hardware design 'opinions'? ..............or have I just mis-read the whole thread?

There were no functional issues with VirtualDJ mentioned, so, I don't know what you are referring to there.

I'm sure I will buy this unit soon, but, would rather wait til these problems are sorted.

geposted Mon 30 Aug 10 @ 9:35 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJSoulman wrote :
There were no functional issues with VirtualDJ mentioned, so, I don't know what you are referring to there.

That was my point. This is the VirtualDJ site and we are not the manufacturer of the VMS4. If there are quality control / manufacturing defects then that is for the manufacturer to resolve.

So when people use statements like "when they" resolve the issues - my concern is to try and make the distinction of who "they" are. Some may perceive it to be VirtualDJ when actuality is that there is no issue with VirtualDJ.

So that is what I am referring to. That these issues are things not within our control to correct.

geposted Mon 30 Aug 10 @ 10:53 pm
DJSoulman wrote :

Think I'm gonna wait for the next 12 pages of you guys getting the VMS4 sorted before I buy.

Just to be clear, this bit of my post was referring to those users on this thread who have already bought the VMS4 and trying to get their issues sorted with the manufacturer.

IN NO WAY did it mean anything to do with VirtualDJ.

Apologies to anyone who mis-interpreted that statement, personally I thought it was blatantly obvious when read in context. After all, this thread is entitled 'American Audio VMS4 Discussions'. But hey ho.

cstoll wrote :
when people use statements like "when they" resolve the issues

........never used this in my post.

geposted Tue 31 Aug 10 @ 5:21 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Don't take my posts the wrong way ... it's all good :)

DJSoulman wrote :
I thought it was blatantly obvious when read in context.

But, that is one of the problems - they don't read things in context -- they see the word 'issues' and relate them to the site they are reading the post from - in this case VirtualDJ.

DJSoulman wrote :
cstoll wrote :
when people use statements like "when they" resolve the issues

........never used this in my post.

Understand :) - my comment wasn't directed at you .. it was in a 'general' sense.

Again, it's all good,

Happy mixing!! :)

geposted Tue 31 Aug 10 @ 10:14 am
Yessir, looking forward to using the VMS4 in the near future.

PS Would a skin without eq & fader controls help make things clearer to those who haven't yet grasped that these operations are on the mixer and not in the software? Just a thought.

geposted Tue 31 Aug 10 @ 7:26 pm
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
ok for some reason now I'm getting updates on this topic to my email and when I come check the messages there are no new posts.

geposted Wed 01 Sep 10 @ 2:35 pm
It's because there are some posts by the moderators, unreadable for us ;-))

geposted Wed 01 Sep 10 @ 2:38 pm
Kinda figured that but wasn't sure.

Thanks

They're probably posting new features of VDJ7 and we can't see. Just kidding. Noticed site was down earlier today also.

I'm getting impatient very fast for the release of 7. Can't wait to see the magic that's been created.

geposted Wed 01 Sep 10 @ 2:43 pm
I love the American Audio VMS4, I almost didn't get it due to all the negative posts I have seen everybody writing but I always thought this unit was pretty cool since it was both an analog mixer and a controller, anyway I took a chance on it and so far I don't regret it, even after reading the unfavorable review of the unit on DJtechtools I still bit the bullet!

Just to let you know, I am not associated with American Audio in any way, shape or form! I also do not due any drugs LOL
I have only owned one previous AA product and that was a DP2 dj controller that I returned to the store because it didn't play nice with VDJ.
My current equipment consists of Pioneer CDJ-1000s and Allen & Heath Xone 3D and I'm a huge Denon fan, In the past I owned Denon DN-HS5500s, DN-X1700s, DN-S1200s, DN-S3700s and DN-HC4500. As you can see by my current and past equipment I buy quality stuff!

Anyway I think the AA VMS4 unit is of good quality, yes the jog wheels are off center and you have to leave the plastics on the jog wheels to be able to do pitch bending when you have scratch mode enabled, but every piece of hardware I have ever owned had it's faults and limitations....Yes the Pioneers and the Denon's of the world are not perfect either! Just for fun type Pioneer CDJ-1000 on youtube and you will find many videos of people teaching you how to fix your CDJs!!!
I have seen other AA stuff and I was never impressed by it to tell you the truth, it all looked like your typical Chinese imports. I can see that AA put a lot of thought and effort into this unit. By the way my Allen & Heath Xone mixer is also made in China!

I am a huge fan of DJ companies that innovate, hence my love for Denon and Atomix. I think what American Audio did with the VMS4 is very innovating.

Yes, I am experiencing some of the problems you are reporting on this forum when using the unit in default mode, Pre EQ. I can't cue for the life of me no matter what I try!! I am not able to use this unit without some sort of problem using the supplied VDJ LE but I think its due to how the VMS4 operates in default Pre EQ mode.

BUT!!!!!!

When I take full advantage of the VMS4 versatility and put the VMS4 in "Post EQ mode" I can let VDJ Pro take over this impressive piece of hardware.
Note: You can put your VMS4 in "Post EQ mode" by holding down channel 4 cue button when powering up (page 20 of owners manual)

Once I put my VMS4 in "post EQ mode" I mapped the WMS4 mixer functions, EQs and channel faders and I let VDJ Pro take care of the audio business! By the way, I think this unit should have shipped by default with VDJ taking care of audio since your typical DJ controller user is already used to it being this way, but that's just my humble opinion.

I now have my VMS4 mapped out and working how I like it! I just wasn't able to map the crossfader to audio without experiencing some kind of cue problem so I let the crossfader alone in analog mode and it works fine that way.

I just have one question for you cstoll, can I still record my mixes with the VMS4 without being able to map the audio crossfader? I really love to record my mixes.

I just haven't tested the MIC feature, hopefully I am one of the lucky ones who is not affected by the mic problem....anyway I don't use the mic that much so I could care less about it.

Anyway, so far for me the positives outweigh the negatives!

That\'s it for now, I am going back to admiring that cool back metallic paint job on the VMS4 that only a car show junkie like me can appreciate =)

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 1:14 am
What plastic piece are you talking about? What does it look like with it and without it?

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 9:43 am
Try recording yourself. Let us know.

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 9:46 am
DJ Koz wrote :
What plastic piece are you talking about? What does it look like with it and without it?

There's a clear plastic piece that goes around the outer part of the jog wheels, basically it prevents your fingers from touching the metal jog wheel so you can't trigger the touch function which would normally trigger the scratch mode (If scratch is enabled).

So the clear plastic piece lets the jogs do 2 things at the same time when you have scratch mode enabled. Pitch bend on the outer side of the platter and scratch on the top part of the platter. Kind of like a Pioneer CDJ-1000 in vinyl mode but without all the sensors that pioneer uses to get the same job done.

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 11:42 am
DJ Koz wrote :
Try recording yourself. Let us know.

I will try recording something later tonight when my kids are asleep.

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 11:43 am
Does theplastic piece look cheap? Is it on in the picture you posted?

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 1:01 pm
Here are some better pictures of the plastic piece i'm talking about. I don't really think it's 2 bad but since I am an engineer, I think they could have put more effort into the engineering of the jogs. They could have done an ABS plastic jog wheel with a top metal layer attached to a sensor to trigger the touch functions while the outer plastic jog wouldn't trigger anything since there wouldn't be any contact with the metal. But I guess if they made the jogs out of plastic, it would have taken away from the metal turntable platter feel. I do like the way the jog wheels feel even with the plastic piece around them.

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 2:36 pm
Don't see the picture.

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 2:41 pm
check again, I was having some trouble uploading the pictures.

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 2:44 pm
Cool. Doesn't look bad in the pics. Thanks.

I'm curious about the record feature.

geposted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 2:49 pm
DJ Koz wrote :
Cool. Doesn't look bad in the pics. Thanks.

I'm curious about the record feature.

I tried recording from the VMS4 master output to my laptops mic input jack and it sounded a bit bad....not the VMS4 fault, I was getting some kind of noise related to the laptop.

I am able to mix perfect with the unit, I think i'm going to end up buying a Native Instruments Audio 2 sound card so I can map the crossfader and record my master coming out of the Audio 2 sound card.

geposted Sun 05 Sep 10 @ 4:19 am
Thanks for the post.

I was thinking of mixing using VDJ record feature using the VMS4 as normal.

Can you try it that way?

geposted Sun 05 Sep 10 @ 7:52 am
38%