Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Splitting headphones and speakers with desktop

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Howdy! Okay, so I am super new to mixing. But I had some money to blow before taxes come in, so I decided to blow it on VDJ pro. Super fun! Ive really been digging it, however it has become very difficult because I basically have to guess where drops come in and what not.

I am using a desktop PC with a sound blaster 4.1 surroud card in back, and even the front of my PC has a headphone jack and my lycosa keyboard has a headphone jack as well. But I just cant friggin figure out how to split the two for previewing before they go live.

Now I am well aware this topic has been brought up many times, but I feel like mine problem is slightly different. Now the headphone jack on the front of my PC you would think it would be an onboard soundcard, and the 4.1 in back would be seperate, but now I am thinking that isnt the case. Because if I do plug headphones in front, the sound will mute the speakers. Ive tried messing a bit with the settings, but nothing really seems to be working all that well.

Now, like I said, I am very new to this. But if I did get another external sound card, would any really do? Just as long as it plugs into the USB port with a headphone jack, right? But heres where i get kind of lost in theory. Wouldnt one deck just play out of my speakers and the other play out of the headphones? How exactly would I get that to work? Because in my head, I think about it, and say I load a track into deck A, that is playing out of the speakers, now I load a track into deck B, and that is playing through the headphones. Okay, sounds good, but once I drop track A, wont NOTHING be playing out of the speakers, and just the headphones? I feel like all I would be doing was swapping sound from speaker to headphones. I guess that doesnt make sense to me. How would I always make the live come out of the speakers?

Can anyone give me a quick run down on how this works?

Also, when it comes to recording, if my wacko theory is right, that it is just swapping between headpones and speakers, recording only picks up on the speakers, correct? Or would it also record what I am messing around with on the other deck getting the track set up to drop in?

geposted Sat 01 Jan 11 @ 5:12 pm
Ahh, I found what I was looking for, I cant seem to delete this. But if a mod sees this, you can delete it! I found a nice tutorial on how to do what I was asking.

And I realize now, the headphones has nothing to do with the decks really, its merely a monitor :) I am getting all this, slowly, but surely.

geposted Sat 01 Jan 11 @ 8:40 pm
liamjHome userMember since 2010
so how did you do it then? im having the same problems!

geposted Tue 04 Jan 11 @ 2:44 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)