Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Harmonic Mixing

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hello everyone,

I am currently a bedroom dj moving into the phase of actually djing (mostly house parties for now) and I was doing research yesterday and I came across a technique called harmonic mixing. Now I know that incorporates mixing in key and using the Camelot wheel, but my question was about the software that "alot" of professional dj's use: Mixed in Key. I just heard about it yesterday and I was wondering how good is it? Is it worth the $58 it costs. As I said before Im just transitioning to djing at my first gig and I have the money, but I do not want to spend it on something I do not really need. I just want to know what everyone who uses this software thinks about it in order for me to make a better decision about it. Also is there another software that is free or even cheaper out on the market that does the same thing as this software does?

Thanks,

A.M.

geposted Sat 11 May 13 @ 11:41 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Virtual DJ already uses many of the same the same properties. Click on the magnifying glass next to your search bar in VDJ and select "key". Then, right mouse button click on the bar above your music. You have options there, including key display information.

geposted Sat 11 May 13 @ 11:53 am
No software that detects key does it perfectly.

Sometimes it's just not possible because there aren't enough different notes in the tune to determine one specific key. Some software is biased, and will mainly show minor keys, even though music is written in minor and major keys, or even changes key during the track.

Mixed In Key is generally regarded as the best of the bunch. There are comparison reviews online that show the accuracy of different s/w.

geposted Sat 11 May 13 @ 12:41 pm

geposted Fri 17 May 13 @ 8:00 pm
I asked a load of my old skool (non digital) DJ mates about harmonic mixing, they didnt have a clue what I was on about with the Camelot Wheel and all that.

Ever since, I have my tracks on the screen listed in key, and cycle forwards and backwards with the occasional jump, and everything seems to sound much more natural.

Save your $58, and trust what VDJ calculates - a bit like Sat Nav, it seems to get it right most of the time!

Ta,
Mike

geposted Mon 20 May 13 @ 4:26 pm

geposted Sun 16 Jun 13 @ 3:34 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
VDJ 7.4.1 is very good with keys. However if possible prepare the mix at home, and save it in a playlist if it works. Your ears always overide the advice made by computers about keys.

geposted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 10:33 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)