Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Soundcard qyery

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I'm looking at an external soundcard and am trying to make sure I don't buy something that will be useless when I update my machines (two of)
Express card looks like it should be the fastest (other than a thunderbolt sc) but I'd have to buy one per machine, and the annoying thing is new laptops don't have a express card slot.
Both my machines also have fire wire (sadly newer machines don't) so I was wondering if I bought a multioutput FW SC could I some how FW 2 laptops and the SC to a firewire switch/hub and have 2 machines share 1 SC?

I don't want to opt for USB as I'd like to save the bandwidth for controllers,
Maybe new expresscard/ FW machines are still out there and I haven't found a source yet, advice would be helpful.

geposted Tue 19 Aug 14 @ 3:22 am
Bump, someone must has some idea, or is it because USB 3 surpasses expresscard/firewire and the tech in now legacy?

geposted Sat 23 Aug 14 @ 1:18 pm
You don't want to buy something that'll be useless when you update your machines.......but you're considering FW or ExpressCard? :-\

There's far more choice on the USB side of things, and you can be pretty sure your next computers will have USB.

What features do you need and what's your budget?

geposted Sat 23 Aug 14 @ 1:55 pm
The question is, does USB3 surpass EC? (EC being greater than FW, as EC to FW adapters are out there but not the other way round)

The big deal here is USB bandwidth and I'd rather avoid hogging it with sound output,

The thing is I can make HID devices for much, much less than retail (how much would you pay for 80* 10 bit dials and 128 buttons?) so I want to save the usb bandwidth, my main controller was costly (and time consuming) to make, but now I can knock up stuff quite easily so having several controllers and banging audio out over usb = latency, hence the desire to use FW or EC (leaving my controllers responsive)
Another thing is I'm developing an HID optical pick up to have an encoder disc on (2x) 1210s, which will eat bandwidth.

Budget I'll have about £700 for 2 laptops and sound cards (if I can use 1 card for 2 sources all the better)
My desired set up is 2 Machines (FX & script based HID controllers per machine & HID optical pick ups per physical deck/laptop) and an analogue mixer

A very specific wish list to be sure, but I've had the idea for a while and have been working on it for nearly a year.
'*after thought* maybe I should repackage 2 towers?? [better value and greater configuration]

geposted Sat 23 Aug 14 @ 6:19 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)