Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ unwantedly modifies Gain of soundfiles

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

ZothenPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I have a problem with VDJ modifying the gain settings of my files without my consent and I dont know how to prevent it!

What happens:
In the past I ran VDJs autoGain settings as "auto+remember". Over time Ive noticed it tends to add lots of negative Gain DB values to the used mp3-files, which is bad for my work. Over time VDJ leveled and tagged the mp3 files with lower and lower DB settings. (often even in the range of over -10 DB for an originally pretty much perfectly leveled sound file)

Once Ive noticed this behaviour I erased all gain settings from the mp3 files and changed the autoGain settings to "auto". But the stupid software still writes Gain DB changes into the files, which I dont want.

So, my questions:
1. What are the actual rules of VDJ regarding modifications to files?
2. Shouldnt the autoGain setting "auto" (without "remember") prevent VDJ to write gain adjustments to the sound files? Where is autoGain "remember" saved?
3. How do I prevent VDJ to make modifications to my files that I dont want and that negatively affect working with the software?
Thanks for help!

geposted Sat 02 Nov 19 @ 4:34 pm
If you don't want autogain to do anything to your files, then you need to turn it off - select 'no' in the VDJ config.

geposted Sat 02 Nov 19 @ 4:40 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What do you mean exactly with vdj writing gain adjustments to your files?
As said, if you set autogain to auto it will automatically use the analyzes loudness of the truck to level them so they are all close to the same loudness.
If you just want to play the files aa they are encoded you should indeed turn autogain off

geposted Sat 02 Nov 19 @ 4:44 pm
Adion wrote :
What do you mean exactly with vdj writing gain adjustments to your files?
As said, if you set autogain to auto it will automatically use the analyzes loudness of the truck to level them so they are all close to the same loudness.

VDJ writes Replay Gain/Track gain values to the mp3 files. And, as I said, over time - over a couple of sessions - the values get lower and lower, which is a problem.

This isnt a question of using autoGain or not. It rather seems as if its not working properly, because even autoGain "auto" keeps the adjustments from the sessions (and probably writes them as trackGain into the files). If theres an "auto" and "auto + remember" setting "auto" seems to be bugged.

geposted Sat 02 Nov 19 @ 4:52 pm
auto only uses the single value calculated using replaygain. It does not change across sessions unless manually adjusted in the tag editor

geposted Sat 02 Nov 19 @ 5:04 pm
Adion wrote :
auto only uses the single value calculated using replaygain. It does not change across sessions unless manually adjusted in the tag editor

Thats what I thought how it would work, but it does change the replaygain values without my intervention at all. Could confirm it over multiple sessions over the past weeks. (Easily verified, because I sync my library between my studio- and gig laptop, so i see which files had been changed)

So if replaygain is set to 0 in the file and vdj autoGain is set to "auto" the files replaygain should stay at zero? If not that would be a bug then, right?

geposted Sat 02 Nov 19 @ 5:16 pm
VDJ doesn't use the tag value directly, it stores the analysis in its database and uses that value.
Unless to make corrections compared to other files you shouldn't modify the analysed gain directly though.
If you don't want any gain to be applied you should just turn autogain to off.

geposted Sun 03 Nov 19 @ 6:03 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
What about if setTagsAuto is on? Will it write replaygain information to the file as well as the database?

geposted Tue 26 Nov 19 @ 3:35 pm
Maybe some other application is writing to the files

geposted Tue 26 Nov 19 @ 3:59 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)