Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Sound Performance
I know you can set different settings to unprove quality. I have a couple of questions, usually tgere is some explanation nites when you hover over a setting, but some might say default is 8, but do not give the minimum and maximum parameters, also when it has say 0-3 I have loaded up other skins and they have the setting in a drop down and the parameter is 4 as maximum, this being exact same setting and I have changed skin back gone to settings and it has stayed on 4 . So my question is, can these settings be made more clear or a slider be used cause every update things change.
Also I have noticed some degradation in sound when performing stem fx or keylock. Sometimes its amazing and sometimes especialy when pushed can sound pretty poor, I originally thought it was down to frequency filtration and the software not being able to deal with it, but it seems to be more random, as sometimes it doesn’t seem to be a problem. Now this could be due to settings being altered or can it be due to how much processing power is available.
So my question is, what do I need to do to give vdj the best chance of performing tasks. I have 6 cores (12 virtual) and turbo boost close to 4ghz, but if i swap my tray so I can have 2 cpu’s so 12 cores (24 virtual) am I going to see an improvement. Am I right in saying the fastest 3.5” hds are more than enough for music and that ssd’s although superfast won’t help in this case (i’d like tracks to load faster, when fresh tracks load although they play straight away, you can see the waveform and cbg being analysed and calculated for stems and bpm).
I am gonna upgrade from 1gb gpu to 1gb+ (metal compatible) so will this help as I know some processing is given to the gpu for sound). I’m also hoping this will be the reason turnado doesnt respond properly, not down to power but software comoatability).
I know some issues are software based especially with thibgs like stems, are the team working on improving the feature becuase when it works its amazing, and although the bleed is adjustable, and I know that it’ s performing a really thricky thing, but will we see an improvement in this and keylock so that its close to perfect.
I love whats been done, and 90% of the time it works great, it’s just I want the cofidence to be able to play and not have to worry if some noise artifacts are going to ruin it. I’d also like to know that I have the settings on there optimum, so please can there be more documentation and easier methods. I remember when the crossfader curve was a more visual ui, now it is very customisable but nothing visual to help. My memory might be wrong but I’m sure it was more user friendly in the past. Vdj is bar far the most intuitive ui, I still don’t get why other titles although simpler are so complicated to use. Vdj has great features and I want vdj to be more recognised, there is so much snobbery you won’t beleive the amount of people who haven’t even given vdj a go becuase they think others are industry standard. I’ve made so many people try vdj, and I want them to see how easy and powetful it is, I feel features have been tucked away, over the years, but worse that there were great features that have been removed or altered, I’m sure audio units used to load up with no need to alter files, I maybe wrong as my memory may be playing up. Anyways keep up the good work, I know there is alot to take into account and sometimes things have to change but if there is away to impliment the old ways which were so much simpler please do

geposted Sun 16 May 21 @ 6:43 pm
All settings are skin irrelevant.
Skin, is just a visual representation of the program.
Also, new options get added from time to time in order to improve software.
Until a few versions back, pitchQuality setting (master tempo algorithm) could take values 0 to 3
Now it also accepts a new value (4) which is described on the setting description.
On a computer with a decent CPU, pitchQuality set to 4 should not be a problem.

Finally, keeps in mind that stems and master tempo algorithms are destructive by nature.
This means that there are cases where the end result can't be perfect. That's not a "problem". That's a limitation of the current technology.
For instance, "Master Tempo" algorithms have changed drastically the last 20 years. What's possible today, was impossible back in 2000 for instance. But still, MT algorithms have their limitations.
Also stems extraction was impossible 5 years ago. Today it is, even if sometimes the results are not great. As the technology advances, stems extraction will keep getting better and better.

geposted Mon 17 May 21 @ 11:21 am
That's what I thought regarding the skins, but the reason why I wrote what I did was because one of the skins I tried out, and I can't remember exactly if it was the setting I mentioned, but any the time the setting values it gave options for were different from the standard ones, or maybe it was one of the settings that wasn't explained swell as the others. I wasn't complaining about settings as such, but was asking if they could be made more clearer, some options have alot of help text, I'm sure it's something developers want, and I'm sure it's due to time restraints, look how much we are given. I have learnt alot but, sometimes I feel that there is so much I don't know and that I would like the info readily available, and all new features and alterations to be listed.
I recently read that alot of features were not intentional vdj features they are an outcome of creating mappings etc, and have been made available som users can create what ever they want, and I guess in helping users they have created even more work for themselves. So I never want to sound ungreatful, but I know that they have a list and the more I pester about things I want then when others make noise then the order in which they appear on the list will change. I asked for something a while back and I was helped above and beyond.

geposted Thu 20 May 21 @ 7:55 pm