Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: another mac pc question
Lets say we have an external drive and vd7 we would use it on our home PC and then carry it to a club also running vdj7 but on a MAC,

The mac didnt seem to care the database was made on a PC the tunes on that external drive showed up in searches just fine.

Time passed same external drive but now our PC is running the wonderful vdj8 but that club mac is still on vdj7 what if any issues will i run into?

Thanks,

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 11:23 am
Should be OK as it's effectively the same DB. Why not just pop in by and give it a try?

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 11:31 am
Actually, VirtualDJ 8 reads and converts VirtualDJ 7 database to a new (V8) format the first time it encounters a drive with a V7 but without a V8 database.
So, after that moment, VirtualDJ 8 and VirtualDJ 7 are using DIFFERENT databases.

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 3:17 pm
I thought it was after V6 it changed over?

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 3:26 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
v6 and v7 use the same database, v8 uses a different database

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 3:47 pm
Thanks for the clarification. will definitely remember for next time!

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 3:51 pm
The13bats wrote :
that club mac is still on vdj7 what if any issues will i run into?

The main issue will be that VDJ 7 is obsolete. VDJ 7 won't read the newer VDJ 8 database, so the club will need to update.

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 7:08 pm
A lot of people are still running 7 because it's "free"

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 7:26 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I believe there was an app by pachn that converted v8 to v6, I think it's still around?
of course your action poi won't carry and the few ms cue discrepancy will be there

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 7:26 pm
Thanks everyone for helping me and allow me to clarify a bit, if i can , lol.

I will say Seems disdain for vd7 is unnecessary since it was great when there was no vdj8, 8 is a zillion times better than 7 but not perfect either.

I dont judge why some clubs or DJs cling to 7 i did until i really gave 8 a chance and now i do not much want to touch 7,

The club uses antique denon gear same i own and still use and for 5 years running ( covidapalooza killed 2020, ) my shows there are smooth no issues and the crowd which is not to brag, large doesnt know what gear or version vdj i use,

Okay so i got a bit confused,
I do understand that if one had vdj 7 and used an external drive and plugged it into a comp with vdj 8 then it does create a new and second database,

So does that also mean when you degrade and go from vdj 8 back to a system with vdj7 it should still work as it did before on 7?

The first 4 years of my show at this club i was still using 7 and that mac didnt seem to care what filepath my database was im hoping the same will happen this time,

No, i dont have a mac to test it on and the club is too far away to just pop in.

Again, many thanks
cheers
b

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 10:11 pm
groovindj wrote :
The13bats wrote :
that club mac is still on vdj7 what if any issues will i run into?

The main issue will be that VDJ 7 is obsolete. VDJ 7 won't read the newer VDJ 8 database, so the club will need to update.

Its up to the club owner not us what he does with his club, if hes still on 7 i will suggest 8 to him.

my show is a reunion, so its pre 95 stuff and the set list has varied but not the database so perhaps im trying to create a hurdle thats not even there,

Of course my 8 database has changed as new stuff has been added.

And my OCD causes me to save my databases almost every time i use vdj.
Its saved me a few times.

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 10:30 pm
The13bats wrote :

Okay so i got a bit confused,
I do understand that if one had vdj 7 and used an external drive and plugged it into a comp with vdj 8 then it does create a new and second database,

So does that also mean when you degrade and go from vdj 8 back to a system with vdj7 it should still work as it did before on 7?

More or less, yes.
Actually what it means is that the V7 system won't be able to see any changes made by V8.
So if at your home (that you're using V8) you added new songs on the database, added/edited some cue points e.t.c. you won't be able to see them at the club with the V7 system.
Still (at the club) you will be able to add the new songs on the "V7" database, scan them for BPM, add cue-points e.t.c.
However, when you return home all the changes made by V7 at the club will NOT get migrated to V8.
In simple words, the two systems now act independently from each other.

PS: There is a way to "force" VirtualDJ to read VirtualDJ 7 database again, but this process in not a migration (merge) process. It is more of a recreation process. Which means that effectively you loose all the changes made by VirtualDJ 8 until that point and you recreate the database by reading V7 database (and it's changes) again.

The13bats wrote :

And my OCD causes me to save my databases almost every time i use vdj.
Its saved me a few times.

Then you should be happy to know that latest VirtualDJ 8 builds have an automatic database backup option with adjustable interval

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 11:07 pm
Thanks Phantom,

That is a nice addition option for auto backup.

Thsnk for explaining the database more
I grasp it now and things should be the same at my sat mac vdj7 show,

Fact is the club has video of about 95% of what i play i just bring mine in case i remember some tune i want to toss and they dont have it,
Funnier still my ssd for that night has over 18 hours of music for my 6 hour set,
Never know what i might need.

Again, many thanks,

geposted Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 12:09 am
Okay my OCD generated anotger question,

So if our external drive was vdj7 only and we were on pc it was reliant that the letter in the database paths matched that xdrives letter,

When we plugged that xdrive in a mac it didnt care about the drive letter and read the database,

So now our database has seen both vdj 7 and vdj 8 on our pc and it made the 2 separate databases,

So which database does the mac use the 7 or 8?

geposted Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 10:12 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
v7 machine, uses the v6 database, a v7 machine wouldn't acknowledge a v8 database existed.

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 1:29 am
Okay im happy to say my big sat show went off great, crowd down a bit but still great,
However,
While the clubs mac saw my songs in search it wouldnt open my playlists i made on my home pc so i did the show by memory.

what happened ? does mac not read vdj playlists made on a pc or was that some blunder on my part?

Thanks,
Cheers
b

geposted Tue 14 Dec 21 @ 12:48 am
It's has been quite a long time since last time I messed up with VirtualDJ 7 files, but I think that playlists format is also different.
Mostly because VirtualDJ 8 stores it's files as UTF-8 while VirtualDJ 7 used to save as ANSI.
This means that VirtualDJ 7 most likely is not able to read playlists made with VirtualDJ 8, while the opposite is not true.
Also the "MAC" <-> "PC" conversion of things has also been improved a lot in VirtualDJ 8.

geposted Tue 14 Dec 21 @ 5:36 pm
I have PC and both vdj7 and vdj8 on my home desktop where i make my sets/playlist for a show.

Personally i jusy use vdj8 but the club for my dec show wont go 8 and is mac

On my home pc in the documents folder is vdj and right or wrong both 7 and 8 share the platlists stored there, in other words if i make a playlist in 7 or 8 it in it ends up in that same folder and either version vdj is fine reading the playlist no matter which version created it.

i saved my dec nites playlist to my external drive my pc will still read it, but that clubs mac sees the folder it was in but didnt show the list itself at all,
So i of course assumed it was a mac reading its file type issue,

None of this would matter much ithatn the past show was once a year but now that show might be once a month and it would be nice to be able to use my playlist,

Getting the club to go to 8 isnt an option.

geposted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 10:27 pm