Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Laggy waveform when using 'window' elements
I'm trying to create a skin based on the <window> element so users can drag around elements to create their own interface. The idea is to create many window 'modules' for many user configurations without the need for skinning knowledge.
It works well so far with 12 different windows, but there is a lot of choppiness to the main scrolling waveform window which is absent when the elements are coded without windows.
Is this a limitation of the way <window> works, or is there a tweak I should be aware of?

My pc is a NUC11 (i7 with RTX2060) and am using two monitors at 1920x1080.

Many thanks🙂

geposted Thu 29 Dec 22 @ 6:32 pm
Further to comments from Phantomdeejay:
I have created separate windows, each containing various screen elements eg a mixer, browser, scratch wave, deck info with songpos, pads, fx panels etc. for decks 1 and 2. All based loosely on the pro skin.
There is only one scrolling waveform window.
I have also stripped out the previous skin panels not being used in the window elements, so only one waveform in skin...

geposted Thu 29 Dec 22 @ 6:40 pm

This is an example layout. Everything is running smoothly except the scrolling waveform at the bottom. Video is behaving well, there are no visual or audio issues, and although stems are set to compute in realtime there is no activity. There seems to be no stress on the CPU or either GPU...

geposted Thu 29 Dec 22 @ 7:24 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes, <window> skin elements are quite memory/cpu greedy. It's OK if the skin contains 2-3 of them, but if too many, the lag will be significant.
I have been through this path, see my Skin Builder skin, i had this idea long time ago and lead me to create a Tool to extract the selected windows to a "normal" skin (Skin Builder Extractor).

I am not sure if the performance of the windows will be improved in the future, but pretty sure, it has low priority.

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 11:56 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Make sure experimentalSkinEngine is set to yes, that should significantly improve performance when using multiple windows.

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 12:29 pm
Thank you both! I shall test out your suggestions when I return home, and report back :)

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 1:43 pm
Happy new year to you all!!!

Setting the experimental skin certainly reduced the lag on the scratchwave when using up to about six windows, a very noticable improvement!

However, my idea was to create many windows which the user could drag around and resize according to their monitor size and preferences. I think I may have to have a rethink.

I would suggest possibly up to 4 -5 different windows per deck and 4 for the master area. Using four decks could potenially mean up to 20-24 windows active at one time which is understandably not feasible.

I think I will possibly change all window elements to panels (so without the option to move and resize) and offer a few configurations for different scenarios.

The default skins are awesome in terms of functionality, but are very difficult for me to see on a small screen or when using 4 decks... Also, I would like to maximise the working space so that the different options are touchscreen friendly.

So I don't want much, really! hahaha! Should keep me busy for a while!!!

geposted Sun 01 Jan 23 @ 12:11 pm