Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: DDJ 1000 jog scratch freeze during broadcast
I've noticed that I sometimes experience a partial freeze during scratching when scratching with the jogs on the DDJ 1000 - the wheel would stop responding to motion for about least a second or two.

I only notice it when I'm doing a live radio broadcast to a ShoutCast server and sending video output via HDMI to a capture card...whenever I'm just playing music and/or videos it never freezes. Some other information that may be helpful in diagnosis:

My machine: M1 MacBook Pro (2020 Edition, 16 GB RAM)

Virtual DJ Version: 8.5 b7388

Other information:
- I have realtime stems enabled (and I use it often to extract the acapella only for scratching in tracks)
- My database of music is contained on an external SSD (Oyen Dura Shadow 4 TB)
- I have the video rack and video play enabled and I play both audio (mp3) and video files (mp4)
- I'm using a 3rd party USB-C hub (uses both ports on the machine) to:
- Connect the charger
- Connect the external drive to the machine
- Send video output via HDMI to a capture card connected to another machine running OBS

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

geposted Sat 04 Feb 23 @ 2:30 am
So it's hard for myself to see what is happening while scratching, but I got someone else to look at the screen while it happened. The CPU load never crosses 50% (the skin I use shows the indicator) and the application/Aqua/the OS itself always seems to be fully responsive with no freezing at that time. I cannot speak for the GPU load.

geposted Sat 04 Feb 23 @ 1:14 pm
The jogs and the volume controls of DDJ-1000 operate via HID. The rest of the controller operates via MIDI.
So, it seems to me that for some reason HID "crashes" for some time and recovers.
So, perhaps you could check if there's another HID device that may cause incompatibilities in this usage scenario ?

geposted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 4:09 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
The jogs and the volume controls of DDJ-1000 operate via HID. The rest of the controller operates via MIDI.
So, it seems to me that for some reason HID "crashes" for some time and recovers.
So, perhaps you could check if there's another HID device that may cause incompatibilities in this usage scenario ?

I must apologize for the late reply. I have experienced this problem again yesterday, and using a different hub (The Reloop Hub Stand). I also confirmed it only happens when I broadcast from VDJ to the ShoutCast radio station - I DJed with the same configuration the night before for 2 hours, without broadcasting, and the problem did not occur.

Here is the listing of what was connected when the problem occured:

What is actually connect to the computer is as follows:
- A USB-C Apple Adapter (with USB-A input, HDMI Out, USB-C input) connectors
I connect the HDMI-Out to an Audio & Video Capture Card (a generic capture card = KINGONE Video Capture Card, captures up to 4K/60Hz, outputs up to 1080p/60Hz)
- The Reloop Stand Hub via a USB-C cable
Connected to this stand is:
- The power cable (USB-C/Thunderbolt)
- The hard drive (Shadow Dura) (USB-A 3.0)
- The DDJ 1000 (USB-A)

Without anything connected:

geposted Sat 18 Feb 23 @ 7:42 pm
This also seems to be specific, at least, to the DDJ 1000. I tried the same configuration last week, but instead using a Pioneer DJM S9 and 2 turntables with DVS, and there was no issue with deck control during the broadcast.

geposted Sat 18 Feb 23 @ 7:49 pm