Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Very Disappointed With Karaoke Subscription
ugabugaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hello All,

I would like to share my experience as a first time user of the Karaoke subscription available within Virtual DJ.

I've owned Virtual DJ outright since 2006 and have used it to DJ thousands of gigs. I love the program and always recommend it to anyone starting out or looking for something different. I've also had the music subscription since it has been available. Even though I still buy around 90% of my music, I find the music subscription very useful if I need a new release, remix or a guaranteed clean version of a track.

I had a Karaoke night to host last night, the first in a long time and decided to try the karaoke subscription. What a disappointment! It was virtually useless.

I have a small library of MP3+G files on my computer (about 2500 songs) that covers most requests and was hoping that the karaoke subscription would fill in the blanks.

These are the songs requested that I needed to download. Please make up your own mind if you think they should be standards in any library:

Salt'n'Pepa - Shoop
Ray Charles - Hit the Road Jack
Estelle - American Boy
Queen - Don't Stop me Now
The Eagles - Take it Easy
Toto - Hold the Line
The Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat (wasn't expecting to find this one)
Fergie - Fergalicous
Kelis - Milkshake
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Earth, Wing & Fire - September
Lily Allen - Not Fair

I did manage to find one song that I didn't have (Elton John - I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues) in the online catalog.

Total Karaoke songs played for the night was around 40. The tracks I searched up online for are not obscure or rare and should be there. Looks like I'm back to buying CD+G's and ripping them to the hard drive.

Please share your experiences if you have used the online karaoke subscription.

geposted Tue 07 Feb 23 @ 6:53 am
That is why you can check the content ahead of signing up.
There is a link below to the signup button:

(there are currently 7884 tracks in the list)

But yes, this is not the kind of subscription where you get all kinds of tracks. So not like Spotify. More like a 90s "This is what i call music" compilation CD
So if "karaoke spotify" is your expectation (or what you sell to clients), then this subscription is not for you

It's more for the kind of karaoke gigs I sometimes do - or more precisely, small karaoke parts of gigs, where I make a list of the available tracks, and let people go through the list, before deciding which song to sing.
So the question to singers is never"What do you want to sing?", but instead "Which song from the list have you decided on?"
Basically the same way as it was when going to karaoke bars back in the 90's or early 00s (where they used these giant kind of laser discs)

Full disclosure:
The subscription is not enough for me either. But that is mostly because I'm Danish, and the singers at my gigs often want to sing in Danish. And there are no Danish tracks in the subscription

geposted Tue 07 Feb 23 @ 7:22 am
It's really disappointing and I'm surprised Atomix don't actually realise how terrible the service is.

I know a few KJs who use VDJ and they just bypass it altogether for the karaoke sets and use a Karafun subscription. It's a no brainer as long as there's a reliable wifi or phone connection.

geposted Tue 07 Feb 23 @ 8:34 am
Co-sign KARAFUN.

geposted Tue 07 Feb 23 @ 3:45 pm
As there are quite a few online purchase options nowadays, I tend to just buy the tracks I need, you simply pay around & 1.50/ £1.99 a track with instant download

I am not recommending any particular service, but vocalstar seem to have all the latest tracks very soon after the songs are released

geposted Wed 08 Feb 23 @ 4:08 am
kradcliffe wrote :
...use a Karafun subscription. It's a no brainer as long as there's a reliable wifi or phone connection.

Isn't Karafun a closed eco-system that can't (won't?) work with anything except themselves?
A bit like Spotify has become?

geposted Wed 08 Feb 23 @ 11:04 am
klausmogensen wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :
...use a Karafun subscription. It's a no brainer as long as there's a reliable wifi or phone connection.

Isn't Karafun a closed eco-system that can't (won't?) work with anything except themselves?
A bit like Spotify has become?

Yeah it gas its own app.

geposted Wed 08 Feb 23 @ 9:48 pm
ugabugaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Thanks for the feedback. I've found a website (karaokeshop.com.au) that sells individual Karaoke tracks. I'll top up my collection from there. It's a bit expensive ($3.99 AUD per track) but cheaper than the 1 month subscription I paid for to only get 1 track from. Hopefully can buy tracks on the fly while on a gig.

geposted Thu 09 Feb 23 @ 9:13 am
where do you download the tracks im a infinity user and wanto do kareoke

geposted Sun 26 Nov 23 @ 6:02 pm
I use https://www.karaoke-version.com/karaoke/, downloaded close to 500 songs over the past couple of years, great quality, multiple formats, $2.99 a song. 57,000 Songs in their library. If only Virtual DJ could cut a deal with Karafun which is a sister company to Karaoke Version, that'd be a subscription I'd pay for. That's my 2 cents worth.

geposted Fri 01 Dec 23 @ 10:37 pm
Well in theory now, anyone can provide karaoke with any song because we have stem technology to remove vocals. VDJ can download lyrics too, so that's not an issue.

geposted Sat 02 Dec 23 @ 10:20 am
"Well in theory now, anyone can provide karaoke with any song because we have stem technology to remove vocals. VDJ can download lyrics too, so that's not an issue."

Other than mechanical licenses issues and it's not covered under the music licensing and all that. Don't look at the music videos I just made into karaoke with VDJ's Video Editor.

Speaking of which I think with a powerful pc or Mac you could use the Grab feature to link the output of Karafun back into virtual DJ. of course you still have to pay the Professional Version's $50 a month fee...

I never understand these complaints about the 3rd part Karaoke feature. Literally everything is right there: how many tracks and a link to the track listing and people get disappointed. It makes no sense but I do invite you to go online or to Walmart and buy the Karaoke CD's to cover a party. I'll even spot you the CDG player and video encoder to get it into virtual dj...

geposted Sun 03 Dec 23 @ 2:18 am
Ripping CDs is so 90s! :-)

Karaoke versions are also widely available on the normal audio streaming services.

geposted Sun 03 Dec 23 @ 9:53 am
I agree. The library is not comparable to the music subscription. I made the mistake of signing up tonight!

geposted Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 11:45 pm
csimmoPRO (legacy)Member since 2017
EmaIl info@sunflymusic.com for great value bulk purchase deals in MP4 and upload them to VDJ.

geposted Mon 18 Mar 24 @ 12:01 pm